RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Bad happened

Boolit Bub

Bad happened

For lack of a better place to post it this seemed good as any.

Went to reload last night and my reload log is nowhere to be found...last place I had it was the range a month or so back. Must have left it. All my data...no backup...ugggg...sucks.

Anyway, i'm thinking of building a spreadsheet and will keep multiple backups. Anyone have on in excel that is already started?

I guess while I opened the can of works let me ask what you keep in your logbook...mine had all my load data with notes on what worked and did not per gun. Also had range notes associated with each load with chrno info, etc...

Curious to see what you guys have and hopefully someone has a spreadsheet already made they would not mind sharing.

Boolit Master
    The "problem" is the we can't attach Excel files.
    Mine is quite simple, I have a work sheet per cartridge and I fill in the following information:
    Bullet Mfg. Nominal Bullet Weight Average Bullet Weight Bullet Type Powder Powder Weight Primer COL Gun Accuracy Accuracy: w/o called flyers Date Shot Notes

Boolit Master
    5 subject notebook, never needs backup or virus protection.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by canyon-ghost View Post
    5 subject notebook, never needs backup or virus protection.
    problem is they can get lost - I had a legal pad I used for years - lost in a move.

I'm looking for a solution as well - someone suggested write it on a Avery label and take a pic and post the pick to a server like photobucket. That way it's on the camera chip, the label and the WWW

I have all my reloading data on the computer, the data is also saved on a CD, and 2 flash drives. One flash drive is in the gun safe just incase of a fire or basement flood.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Buddy
    http://accurateshooter.net/targets/d...lesloaddev.pdf
    http://accurateshooter.net/targets/boxesloaddev.pdf

I use these targets for testing loads. I write on them what the loads to be tested are before going down range. The targets are pulled after shooting and taken home and put in my load book. The book never leaves the bench.

I have a card that goes in the ammo box to tell me what the loads are. Cant find that link right now though. But that info is transfered to the targets anyway. I assume you would have something to designate your loads in the box.

Works for me and I have the actual targets to look at which helps if I am away from a load project for a while. All notes are made on the target.

Once I find a good load I log that on a master sheet by caliber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3526.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

I have my loadlog and all my guns/info moulds/ reload gear on excel files. I also have my own wish list for things I need or just want. I have a backup which speaking of that I need to make another backup. I kind of miss the old disk that were so simple to make backups on. I guess I need to get a memory stick.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    I just made a log form in "Works". Print it out when I need one and keep it in a three ring binder with the target. At the range I just use a little pocket notebook with the data copied, and cases collated to the data by colored marker (Sharpie) on the case heads.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

I write it all down in an email and send it to myself.
    When I receive it I store it online where I can access it from any computer.

Boolit Master

maybe its just me ? but i know the powder type , charge weight and bullet type for almost every cartrage i load for, from memory but i do have it written in a specfic ledger and its also written on every case guard ammo box and bulk ammo storage box i have .

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    maybe its just me ? but i know the powder type , charge weight and bullet type for almost every cartrage i load for, from memory but i do have it written in a specfic ledger and its also written on every case guard ammo box and bulk ammo storage box i have .
    Same here, and it is nice having the info on the boxes.
    I copied my ledger to computer files then made a cd-rom in case of a computer crash.
    As I was told when I was a child; your elders will make you smarter if you listen. Then when you are older your elders will teach you WISDOM.
    300winmag

Boolit Mold
    Get yourself a free account with dropbox.com and save your files there. Gives you a free offsite backup and version history to recover from also.

Old War Horse
    I use a spread sheet that I created up on Google Docs. I can access it from my Cell or from any of my computers. It's still evolving, but one of the things I like about mine is I use it to help me keep track of my inventory. Powder and primers, etc. I have set to track powder and primer consumption.

I'll have to consider how to use it to track both jbullet and Cast Boolit consumption.

As a backup, occasionally I'll download it and keep in on a thumb drive. I almost never view it on my PC aside from viewing it online.

Sent from my Droid
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White, & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

I use a Franklin day planner (squarish ringed binder). It has alot sections for for all of my different calibers. A section on deer hunts too. I think I would rather have the info on paper, dont have to run the PC while reloading.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a 3-ring binder with a section for each cartridge. First pages are load data and each load is assigned a number, variations a letter. 45-70 load I liked today, for example, is 21B. After the load data section I have a log of rounds loaded and notes about the results. Didn't start keeping my notebook until about 1994, no way I could keep them all straight today.
    Notebook never leaves home, I write notes on my targets and bring them home and transfer them to my notebook.
    It's old school, I know there's a better format in today's information age but until I find it I'll just do my best to take good notes and keep better records.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

I use Microsoft WORD for my records. Each load has its own document, containing details of load data, chron results, range sessions, comments, etc. Here is a sample page:

God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post

The "problem" is the we can't attach Excel files.
    Mine is quite simple, I have a work sheet per cartridge and I fill in the following information:
    Bullet Mfg. Nominal Bullet Weight Average Bullet Weight Bullet Type Powder Powder Weight Primer COL Gun Accuracy Accuracy: w/o called flyers Date Shot Notes
    noylj.

Waco's Law No 1.
    If it works, use it.

Please enjoy the attached spreadsheet.
    ( actually it is just an example, yours will be much better but you can attach it. and upload it if you want to. )
    Attached Files Attached Files
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Banned

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    I'm with you. Once I find a load for a specific cartridge that shoots well, I have it in memory. Once I'm cutting bullet holes . . . that load is "set in stone". I do, in fact, write my loads on the boxes. A simple piece of masking tape & a Sharpie is all I need.