MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: 50-110 arisaka?

Boolit Grand Master

Talking 50-110 arisaka?

Hey there, I have a 7.7 arisaka Mauser that I got a good deal on with the idea of rebarreling it to something cool.
    I have been carefully going over midways extensive inventory of available brass, and I am realy taken with the 50-110. I wonder if I could convert this rifle to a single shot paper patch deer/hog slayer.
    The main problem I see is that the bolt face does not match.
    I wonder if I could take the rim off the bolt, to give it a flat face.
    Is there a way to make this conversion, or should I go with a slightly more anorexic calibration?
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Bub
    Hi goodsteel!

My first impression of your idea is that the boltface modification is practical, but adapting the bolt to a large rimmed case is less than easy. The other concern is that the barrel shank would leave a very thin chamber thickness. I would make some careful measurements first.

Even as a single shot affair, you still have to get the mauser-style extractor to reliably engage the cartridge rim from feed position in the magazine box. As you know, that would involve massive receiver magazine box modifications: grind feed ramp, extend the box, grind receiver cartridge guide lips, modify follower, etc. Take a look at the Thai mausers that were modified from the basic M1898 design to accept the large rimmed Thai 8mm cartridge and you will see the differences.

Still, for an experienced machinist with your qualifications, it is doable. I followed your modification project on the SMLE and was very impressed by your workmanship.

John

Boolit Grand Master

Unhappy

Thanks for those kind words John. (by the way I did end up getting the magazine on that #4 to cough up 5 rounds reliably)

I had the original idea when I saw onondaga's single shot H&R in .500 S&W loaded with R.E.A.L. boolits. That was nice, but I wondered if there might be a longer version of the same thing and figured that the Mauser action should hold up to the pressures.
    I admit that I hadn't thought of the extractor, (those dogon pesky details always ruin my grandiose plans!!)
    Yes, looking at the rifle I find that it would be quite the ordeal to rebuild the extractor to grab those cases.
    Any ideas on a heavy hitter that I can make this rifle eat? I love recoil.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

Sounds like it would be a fun project. How about a Sako extractor like the ones sold for Remington replacements. The 50-110 is a very large case, the 50 Alaskan is better suited to smokeless loads, just a bit shorter.
    The action could probably be converted to 458 or 458 American.
    I have never done any of the Arisakas so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Boolit Master
    I know there were some 45-70 mausers, not sure if the arisaka could be modified to match those.

how 'bout .458 win mag?
    NRA life member

LB

I know the Siamese mauser's will work into a 45-70.