MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 38/357 Lee powder through expander in 9mm die mod

Boolit Master
    You need the LEE PTE die for 9mm AND the .38 S&W expander, which I see you already have..

Uh, stick it in a Lee die?

Can I lap the lee plug to fit in the Dillon die?? I don't think my Dillon powder measure will fit the lee die.

Anybody know if the lee pte die will fit a Dillon powder measure?

Boolit Master
    Yes, yes. Dies are all very compatible--unless you have a Dillon SDB.
    With the PTE, you need to use a Lee measure. With the Dillon powder die, you need to use a Dillon measure. With a Hornady powder die, you need to use a Hornady measure. At least, for ease of case activation.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fullofdays View Post
    Can I lap the lee plug to fit in the Dillon die?? I don't think my Dillon powder measure will fit the lee die.
    This mod I posted is for the Lee powder through expander die. I don't own any dillon dies so I can't answer your question about dillon dies.

Wonder if a Dillon 38 s&w plug will give the same result... Hmmm

I went through the same thought process and came up with some small washers I had lying around that stack snugly inside the die. The 38 S&W sounds like the shizz

Boolit Buddy
    I was about 5 pages into this and while I could understand the theory of it working I couldn't understand how it would in practice, the 9mm expander is nothing like an M die.
    Kept picturing the 38 expander the same as the 9mm, the 9mm expander is 0.150 long and tapered for the entire length, went and pulled the expander out of my 38spl dies, 0.300 long straight for the first 0.200 and tapered for the last 0.100 to flare the mouth and .355 dia.
    0.050-0.100 longer would be perfect but far better than the 9mm for cast.

Good info since I'm starting up a 550B with Lee dies,9mm conversion and 53.15 lbs of Dardas 124 gr RN

Bookmarking it as well as the one linking it.

My 9mm powder funnel only opens up the case to about .352",the Dardas 124 RN measure .3565" to just under .357"

My bores are .3555". Looks like a 9mm M die is in order.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 220 View Post
    I was about 5 pages into this and while I could understand the theory of it working I couldn't understand how it would in practice, the 9mm expander is nothing like an M die.
    Kept picturing the 38 expander the same as the 9mm, the 9mm expander is 0.150 long and tapered for the entire length, went and pulled the expander out of my 38spl dies, 0.300 long straight for the first 0.200 and tapered for the last 0.100 to flare the mouth and .355 dia.
    0.050-0.100 longer would be perfect but far better than the 9mm for cast.
    That should be a 38S&W expander not a 38special, big difference.

Attach powder measure to Lee die

Not trying to hijack this thread, but the question of whether your powder measure will attach to the Lee expansion/powder thru die was asked.
    Simple solution to attach your RCBS UNIFLOW, LYMAN, REDDING, or any powder measure with a standard 7/8 X 14 threads, check out this link: http://uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1370
    Yes, yes. Dies are all very compatible--unless you have a Dillon SDB.
    With the PTE, you need to use a Lee measure. With the Dillon powder die, you need to use a Dillon measure. With a Hornady powder die, you need to use a Hornady measure. At least, for ease of case activation
    This is very true, but for those using single stage press, it gives options for mixing/matching powder measures with Lee dies, but you will have to manually trip the powder measure to make use of the powder thru Lee dies. YMMV
    Last edited by jell-dog; 07-04-2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: correction

Boolit Master
    Oh god all this or just buy an m die?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    Oh god all this or just buy an m die?
    All this? You mean replacing the expander plug with a different one that is a direct drop in replacement and costs $3 or spending $20 + on an M die? Pretty simple choice in my book.

Boolit Master
    well to canada, it's 3$ + 15$ + 15$ at least... so that ends up being a 33$ plug...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    well to canada, it's 3$ + 15$ + 15$ at least... so that ends up being a 33$ plug...
    If you order directly from Lee (which I did), they will send it in a first class postage envelope by US mail. Is that really going to cost you $30 in postage from Lee directly? This little mod is a gem, by the way. I've made several dummies in 9MM and the boolits are not sizing down plus the go in easier as the funnel is so much deeper. It won't work on JHP .355 but popping the original plug back in takes all of 30 seconds and I have found a depth for the die body that works for both plugs. Cake.

Boolit Mold
    This is a great thread but I'm confused. If the problem is leading in a 9mm barrel, why haven't y'all tried (.355 ish) 9mm Luger boolets instead of .357-.358 which are normaly for a .38/.357 revolver? I always load .355 boolets in my .357 Sig because it's really a 9mm NOT a .357. What about a harder alloy? Am I off base here? Aren't these the normal procedured to eliminate leading?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jamo002 View Post
    This is a great thread but I'm confused. If the problem is leading in a 9mm barrel, why haven't y'all tried (.355 ish) 9mm Luger boolets instead of .357-.358 which are normaly for a .38/.357 revolver? I always load .355 boolets in my .357 Sig because it's really a 9mm NOT a .357. What about a harder alloy? Am I off base here? Aren't these the normal procedured to eliminate leading?
    Most 9mm's are larger than .355, slug your barrel and size +.001-.002, hence the .357-.358. For 357's most people size .358-.360 depending on the size of their groove diameter. Do not go by what some book says, slug that barrel. Give your gun what it wants.

Most people have horrible experiences shooting .355 boolits in 9mm as they are usually undersize, nothing leads worse than an undersize boolit.

Boolit Master
    If a bullet is too small, it will cause leading.
    If a bullet is pushed too fast, it will cause leading.
    If a bullet is too small and too hard, it will cause a LOT of leading.
    If a bullet is too soft and pushed too hard, it will cause a LOT of leading.
    An oversized bullet is not a cause of leading and is generally a solution to leading.
    0.357" jacketed and 0.358" lead bullets have been used since probably the twenties or thirties.
    The speed/pressure of 9x19 is not so high that alloy hardness is really an issue, except for the too small and too hard situation.
    Some report using groove-diameter lead bullets without issue. I have never found them to work for me, unless they are quite soft--yet, Mike Ventorino (sp?) reports only using linotype alloy bullets sized to groove diameter, even in his submachine guns.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast