RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision PBcastco
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 38/357 Lee powder through expander in 9mm die mod

Boolit Buddy
    Okay, I have read the entire thread. If I am understanding everything correctly, replacing the expander plug in my 9mm powder through die with the 38 S&W die expander plug will put me on the road to solving my problems without having to resort to bushings. I don't use the die to actuate a powder measure but I do pour the powder through the die. I set up the expander die in one single stage press and the bullet seater die in another single stage press. That way once I get everything set up I can leave it until I am done. I am currently using the Lee 124 grain 2R tumble lube bullet sized to .357 in a springfield XD subcompact. When I pulled a bullet from a case it had been swaged down to about .356 and I had leading in the barrel after only 20 test rounds and accuracy was less that stellar to say the least. Hopefully this will put me on the right track. Thanks for all the great information.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcameron996 View Post
    Okay, I have read the entire thread. If I am understanding everything correctly, replacing the expander plug in my 9mm powder through die with the 38 S&W die expander plug will put me on the road to solving my problems without having to resort to bushings.
    That is correct, it is a drop in replacement. If your boolits are getting swaged after using the 9mm expander then the 38 S&W expander will solve your problem.

Boolit Master
    Yes this little tip on the expander helped me eliminate leading in my S&W M&P Shield 9mm shooting the Lee 358125 RNF. Now I just need to do a little more with the powder load in Unique and I should be good for a practice round. Joe
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Mold
    How far down are you expanding the case with the S&W expander?

Boolit Master
    Just measured mine and the expander portion is .300 in length.

Banned

went away from bell expanders to rcbs step die in station 2, sta 3 is powder hopper w/ expander nipple cut off, Got idea from mrbulletfeeder.biz expander die. And i am investing in some dillon dies, like to mix and match. And CNC friend is making custom dies now. I size my lead plinking rnds at .355. I use a mrbulletfeeder drop die.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/...psc77d5f8b.mp4

Boolit Buddy
    Just wanted to say thanks for this Jailer.

Boolit Master
    You're welcome.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Jailer! The 38 S&W expander cured my leading issues using 147 gr MO Bullet Co cast bullets in my Springfield XD9 subcompact.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksamwell View Post
    Thanks Jailer! The 38 S&W expander cured my leading issues using 147 gr MO Bullet Co cast bullets in my Springfield XD9 subcompact.
    That's great, thanks for the feedback.

Boolit Master
    Quite the tread, nice job on this. My question is, if one doesn't run the 38 S&W expander plug all the way in, assurming if one didn't want the boolit seated that deep, will you need to flare the case mouth with a standard expander either before or after this step? I am ordering the die with and a 38 S&W expander plug, don't currently use the Lee dies for my 9mm and I don't see a 38 S&W expander powder through die at Titan....would it be correct or is it even made?? I don't even need the flow through die feature....just want a clean barrel (can't get the last bit of leading to cease).
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    You can set the depth of the expander by adjusting the die body up in your press. How much you will need to do this I don't know, you'll have to experiment with it. I run mine all the way in so I don't have that answer.

As far as you other question, I don't quite understand what you are asking. You use the 38 S&W expander plug in the 9mm expander die body. You don't want the 38 S&W expander die, just the expander plug. I got mine from FS Reloading.

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precisio...sw-se1699.html

Boolit Master
    Those guys have both in-stock! What I was driving at was is the new expander will "expand" the case to .358 or so, the dia. of my boolit for the depth I run it into the case, but if I don't run the plug "all" the way into the case, it won't "flare" the mouth to make it easier to start the boolit w/o shaving...or is that not going to be an issue if the mouth is only the same diameter as the boolit?

Have the new die (wasn't using Lee prior) and 38 S&W insert already. Now just need to cast a pile of 9s and start playing with things....Thanks fellas!!! Maybe Lee should market the 38 S&W insert as a cast boolit insert for the 9mm....anyone from Lee here??
    Last edited by remy3424; 04-16-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: content
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Buddy
    About the time that the reccomendation was made on this thread to use the .38 S&W expander, I was on the market for Lee .38 S&W dies for my Police Positive revolver. Now I know why I was having such a hard time finding them! But it comes full circle, because now I can use the expander for my 9mm as well!

I hope it helps me out!

so this is kinda off subject but is there any other dies that i could maybe modify to seat 9mm boolits? i can get 38 dies and 9mm mak locally but not 9mm luger, i have a lee pro 1000 if that matters.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bhop View Post
    so this is kinda off subject but is there any other dies that i could maybe modify to seat 9mm boolits? i can get 38 dies and 9mm mak locally but not 9mm luger, i have a lee pro 1000 if that matters.
    You really need to get the proper dies. I ordered 9mm dies a few months ago, just arrived last week. Ordered the 38S&W expander plug today.
    Last edited by Moonie; 07-16-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Hi all,
    I have the same problem with my lee die.
    Just testing on case no full die sizer and just flare case.
    Seat the bullet and put it of with hammer at .3565.
    Does it can be a solution to sand paper sizer die only ?

Thx
    Tesq

Boolit Master
    Sanding the die would only increase the outside diameter and make your brass out of spec. Not a direction I would want to head in reloading.

Boolit Master

Just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your post. I have been thinking of many different ways to solve this same problem (using an M die, etc) but when I saw your post I was asking myself "why didn't I think of that". I did the same as you, I took the powder tube out of my 38 Special setup, turned a brass spacer to make up for the shorter tube and I was in business. My set up is a Dillon but the process is the same. My pulled boolits now mic at .356-.357. Haven't gone to the range yet but I know things are about to get a whole lot better.

Thanks again for helping me and others by coming up with such a simple and great solution.

Regards, Jay

My lee 38 s&w plug came in the mail but it won't fit my dilon die. The ID of the die is .554 but the lee plug is .560. Any suggestions?

http://imgur.com/ibjwYBp

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast