Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Felix, a question on your lube.

Banned

Felix, a question on your lube.

I use your standard lube with no paraffin. I have lube blow back on the cases all the way to the rim on my .475. Accuracy is tremendous but I want to harden it a little. I still want to be able to smear it in the grooves with my fingers because I have no lube sizer die for it. Can you give me an idea on how much paraffin to add?

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    44man, go for it! Get about 4 ounces of the big melt, a luber machine tube's worth, and add a half teaspoon of paraffin. Add in half teaspoon increments until hard enough. ... felix
    felix

Banner Sponsor

44 man, are these low pressure loadings? I'm wondering if the case isn't sealing and that's why??

Banned

Thanks Felix, I will play with it.
    Lar45, no, these are hot loads at the point of sticky cases or just under. I don't have this problem with the .44 or .45, just the .475 for some reason. It does no harm but I have to clean off the lube before tumbling and then again after because the media sticks to spots. Just hard to clean the brass.
    Accuracy is such that using the LBT 400 gr. WFN boolit, I have put 5 shots in 5/8" at 50 yd's. I have 3 shot groups of 1/4" with the 400 gr. Lee. I have hesitated to change the lube because of this.
    I loaded 5 shots with LBT blue to see what happens so I can judge the hardness of my Felix. TOO hot to shoot this week. Glasses fog in a second so I can't see and sweat runs in my eyes. Originally from Ohio, I hate the heat.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by felix
    44man, go for it! Get about 4 ounces of the big melt, a luber machine tube's worth, and add a half teaspoon of paraffin. Add in half teaspoon increments until hard enough. ... felix
    Felix,

Because the amount might be small in order to get to the hardness he wants, instead of parafin, I would add some Carnuba instead.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Yep, if he has some! ... felix
    felix

Banned

I don't have any carnuba! Can you tell me where to buy some instead of looking for cheese covers?

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html

Try there, I bought from them and got good service, they have sodium stearate too

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Banned

Darn, thats where I buy my lanolin! Should have looked. Thanks.

Banner Sponsor

44man, that's some good shootin. Which gun do you have? Is it a BFR in your avatar?

Banned

Lar, yes, thats my .475. I have better groups now then the one shown. The laser was destroyed from recoil so that is gone too. The more I shoot it the more I learn on how to hold it to prevent verticle dispersion and groups have gotten smaller.

Boolit Bub

Carnuba wax

Go to your local whiskey store, buy a bottle of Makers Mark peel the wax off drink the whiskey. Please note the above order is important, this wax is tough stuff and requires the use of a knife. Enjoy
    Bob

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Bob, you had things slightly confused in you instructions.

The way it goes, is to go to your local liquor store. Select a bottle of the best single malt scotch whiskey. Then, package it very carefully, and send it to me. Your carnuba wax will be returned to you promptly, ready to be used, and no mess or stress from dealing with the unwanted part of the purchase.

Banned

Waksupi, NO WAY! If I ever got some single malt in my hot little hands you would have to chase me down! I would be sure to have some guns with me too.