WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bump Fire Device

Boolit Master

Question Bump Fire Device

I can't see how this will be legal for long.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/slid...-device-ar-15/
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Hellfire devises have been around for years. I have one here somewhere. They come with the ruling from the BATF on the legality of them. I'd sell mine, if I can find it. They are hungry for ammo!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I'm wondering if the BATFe can figure out how to make one work.

jim

5000 feet high in the fragrant pines of central Arizona
    FROM ARTICLE: "Nobody can predict what the ATF is going to do about anything..."

Disagree. They have a long, well-known track record.
    “I have strong feelings about gun control. If there’s a gun around, I want to be controlling it.”

Clint Eastwood

Boolit Grand Master

I use a rubberband wrapped around the trigger and mag housing to bump fire my AR. Let them try to ban that.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

If what FOX news says is true, then ATF has been busy making a new name for themselves lately, by helping to facilitate straw purchases so that guns can be smuggled to Mexico. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...nvestigation/#

That aside, who needs a "device" to bump fire a gun. Just look it up on youtube. Most guys there just use their thumb & maybe a belt loop or something.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    If what FOX news says is true, then ATF has been busy making a new name for themselves lately, by helping to facilitate straw purchases so that guns can be smuggled to Mexico. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...nvestigation/#

That aside, who needs a "device" to bump fire a gun. Just look it up on youtube. Most guys there just use their thumb & maybe a belt loop or something.
    OO they will figure out some way to blame this on the law abiding firearm owning citizens.
    PaGunBuilder. Learning to build the guns that shaped our country.

"Stand your ground! Don't fire unless fired upon! But if they want to have a war, let it begin here!"

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    I really think that most of the current passion for FA and its "Bumpfire" imitation is due to basic human nature: …If we are told that we can’t have something, our desire for it is exponentially increased!

I spent A LOT of range time with Selective Fire Weapons when I held my license; …..And I will be the first to admit that they are amusing toys. …..But in the vast majority of REAL LIFE tactical situations, a light, shoulder fired weapon with the switch set to “FULL” is little more than an expensive noise-maker that spends most of its working day empty!

In virtually all reality based scenarios, Semi-Auto fire is far more accurate; …..And wastes a lot less ammunition punching holes in air. The only problem is that the shooter has to actually learn how to shoot, rather than hanging false hopes on the “Spray and Pray” approach to the problem: (……But there is a secondary advantage to learning how to shoot: …….You don’t have to adopt some of the odd body positions seen on ranges as people try to coax their weapons into “Bumpfire Mode”!)

…….And Semi-Auto fire can be very, very fast! …..For the ultimate example of that, take a look at the people who play Paintball at the tournament level: The rules of their competitions limit them to Semi-Auto weapons, ….but they are still able to produce rates of fire in the 12 – 15 round-per-second range! (I have seen it done hundreds of times!)

Now, ……..it is true that the relatively low recoil impulse is an aid to them, and that their weapons feature electronic triggers: ….But I can easily envision an AR15 style weapon equipped with the electronic trigger technology in a “Zero Recoil” caliber like .22LR or 5.7x28: …..Such a package would be EASILY capable of aimed, Semi-Auto fire at a rate of 600 rpm! Bumpfire???!!! ……Who needs Bumpfire??

THAT
    combination would spoil the whole morning for some guy in the BATFs “Approvals” department!

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Quote Originally Posted by klcarroll View Post
    .But I can easily envision an AR15 style weapon equipped with the electronic trigger technology in a “Zero Recoil” caliber like .22LR or 5.7x28: …..Such a package would be EASILY capable of aimed, Semi-Auto fire at a rate of 600 rpm!
    Really? You can move your finger fast enough to hit a button 10 times in 1 second? I can't. My fingers don't move that fast.

Your general concept sounds workable though. I would think that the average person would be capable of 3-6 rounds per second with a rig like you speak of, but 10 sounds a little optimistic to me. 12-15 RPS would require some kind of seriously nimble person.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

The paintballers use triggers that extend covering two of there fingers. This way they can alternate pulling the trigger useing the two fingers. Try it this way.....take your middle and index fingers and flutter them back and forth.
    Semper Fi

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    Quote Originally Posted by danski26 View Post
    The paintballers use triggers that extend covering two of there fingers. This way they can alternate pulling the trigger useing the two fingers. Try it this way.....take your middle and index fingers and flutter them back and forth.

Exactly right Danski! ........I have seen guys who specialize in "volume fire" produce rates as high as 18 rounds per second.

.......I sure can't do that! .......According to the recording chronograph, the best I ever managed with my old, arthritic fingers was 11 rps.

Kent
    KLC

Boolit Master

Talking

With the helping to facilitate straw purchases so that guns can be smuggled to Mexico by the BATFE it sounds like we have a BATFE loophole instead of a gun show loophole.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    With the helping to facilitate straw purchases so that guns can be smuggled to Mexico by the BATFE it sounds like we have a BATFE loophole instead of a gun show loophole.
    LOL!!!

All I want to know is how can I get the BATF to use taxpayer money to buy me some new guns!!

Kent
    KLC

Boolit Bub

Bump Fire

Exactly right Danski! ........I have seen guys who specialize in "volume fire" produce rates as high as 18 rounds per second.

.......I sure can't do that! .......According to the recording chronograph, the best I ever managed with my old, arthritic fingers was 11 rps.

Kent

Kent,
    the one that I still find incredible was Ed McGivern (SP) shooting 5 or 6 shots (memory failing me) out of a stock S&W 38 in 2/5 of a second and keeping them on a playing card. That takes a lot more talent than I'll ever have.

FWIW

No electronic triggers for this dude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DpCellB_UQ&NR=1
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Jerry shot plate matches at the local indoor range with us before he went to work for S&W. I have seen him shoot, he is fast!

Banned

I was able to bump fire my AR and AK from my shoulder. It just takes practice. Have not done it in years so it would take some practice again to do it. This was back during the ban years when ammo was very cheap. $65 for 7.62 wolf and $120 WCC 5.56 per 1000 rds.

Boolit Mold
    There was a thread about the Pogo-Stick AR unit over on Snipers Hide. The OP's original title for the thread, summed it up the best I've heard so far:

"The GAYEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN"

And ONLY $350.00 for a really UGLY $35.00 Plastic stock, that will absolutely positively eliminate any possiblity of HITTING ANYTHING, except by accident.

Boolit Master
    max atchisson lost a bundle a few years ago on a similar device that was re-classified after it went to market.

Banned
    You cant miss enough to kill anything!!!

Look at the shoot/kill ratio in Vietnam, something like 50,000/1.*

So instead of missing a lot why not learn to shoot only when it counts and where it hurts?

* http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armyt...iperschool.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast