RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Dillon 550 ToolHead

Custom Dillon 550 ToolHead

I am in looking into becoming a Vendor Sponsor and would like to know how many folks would be interested in a custom toolhead for the Dillon 550. I'm thinking that if I could get a group buy for a total of 50 toolheads that I could get these in the schedule to go across a machine. I am looking a $25 each shipped.

If you would like to see what they look like you can look here.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=147450

LH

I'd be interested in one or two.

Boolit Master
    Pencil me in for half a dozen or so at that price range.

Rich
    Sua Sponte

Boolit Mold
    I would be interested in 1 -- Sorry that is all I need.

UK

I'd take four

So how would this "Custom Toolhead" differ from the one offered by Dillon?
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

ADMIN

its solid not hollowed out.
    I assume it is tighter tolerances then the original.
    Also its 100% machined compared to a casting.

Boolit Master
    read the link carefully. These will be machined aluminum and lock into place. As in "Zero" play.

Rich
    Sua Sponte

PS: at least six!

Boolit Master
    please forgive my newbishness, but will these work in a 650?

Boolit Master

No, 650 has one more station

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    read the link carefully. These will be machined aluminum and lock into place. As in "Zero" play.

Rich
    Sua Sponte

PS: at least six!
    I read where he accomplished that by adding helicoils(sp). Those are available online and can be added to Dillon's Toolheads to accomplish the same end. I have adapted all mine that way.

I also have one of the machined toolheads from the same source as the helicoils(sp). That toolhead has the threads cut into the locator holes themselves, thus eliminating the need for the helicoils, and which to me seems to be a more surefire setup, but given that I already have an assortment of toolheads, I find it more cost effective to just add the helicoils to my existing pieces for just a small fraction of the cost of a custom toolhead.

Being able to secure the toolhead via the locator screws rather than pins, really does help with more consistent OAL. I can find no fault with the fact that my Dillon toolheads are cast, but then again I like my cast Ruger Single Actions.

His toolheads are very pretty though, and I wish him success and prosperity.

Now if someone could just come up with a small A/C powered light that would shine down through that hole in the center of the toolhead, that would be the cat's @#$!

Dannix,

Sorry these will not work in a 650, but I am in the process of getting the kinks worked out for a 650 head.

Cadillo,

Yes helicoils are available online, for those who wish to just add them to stock Dillon heads. These heads have a tighter fit to the press. I added the helicoils because aluminum has a tendency to have the threads stripped out over time. The helicoils prevent this from happening.

I have made note of everyone that is interested and as soon as I get everything straightened out as far as being a Vendor will get this started as a Group Buy.

Thanks

LH

Please educate me a little more on this. The helicoils that I installed on mine required that the holes be drilled to a larger size, tapped, and a helicoil threaded into the tapped hole. Thus it seems to me that if the screw sized hole is initially threaded directly into the aluminum, if it were to ever strip out, it could then be drilled out, rethreaded, and a helicoil installed thus giving it a second lease on life, something that appears to be off the option list if one starts with a helicoil setup.

Quote Originally Posted by LEADHOPPER View Post
    Dannix,

Sorry these will not work in a 650, but I am in the process of getting the kinks worked out for a 650 head.

Cadillo,

Yes helicoils are available online, for those who wish to just add them to stock Dillon heads. These heads have a tighter fit to the press. I added the helicoils because aluminum has a tendency to have the threads stripped out over time. The helicoils prevent this from happening.

I have made note of everyone that is interested and as soon as I get everything straightened out as far as being a Vendor will get this started as a Group Buy.

Thanks

LH

Boolit Master

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillo View Post
    Please educate me a little more on this. The helicoils that I installed on mine required that the holes be drilled to a larger size, tapped, and a helicoil threaded into the tapped hole. Thus it seems to me that if the screw sized hole is initially threaded directly into the aluminum, if it were to ever strip out, it could then be drilled out, rethreaded, and a helicoil installed thus giving it a second lease on life, something that appears to be off the option list if one starts with a helicoil setup.
    That is true that you would loose that option however if they are heli-coiled / thread inserted you will never have to worry about it.That is why your aluminum heads as well as intake manifolds will have some sort of metal thread insert.Of course you could always use never seize and take your time in starting the thread and never over tighten the screws and the aluminum threads will last forever.With that being said please
    LEADHOPPER Please put me on this list , I will buy no less than four!

Boolit Bub
    Please add me for two.

If I tightened my headbolts as gently as I tighten the tension screws on my Dillon 550 toolhead, I wouldn't even get the thing cranked, much less get out of the driveway. Not a relevant comparison.

Now that I think about it, the aluminum intakes I've installed on small block Chevy's didn't have any metal inserts to strengthen carburator, water inlet, coil, and distributor attachment points. Never had an issue.

Like I said before, I wish the vendor success and prosperity, but I just prefer the other approach, which doesn't make his wrong for anyone but me. Enough said!

Quote Originally Posted by alrighty View Post
    That is true that you would loose that option however if they are heli-coiled / thread inserted you will never have to worry about it.That is why your aluminum heads as well as intake manifolds will have some sort of metal thread insert.Of course you could always use never seize and take your time in starting the thread and never over tighten the screws and the aluminum threads will last forever.With that being said please
    LEADHOPPER Please put me on this list , I will buy no less than four!

Boolit Master
    Cool deal. Thanks, all.

Quote Originally Posted by LEADHOPPER View Post
    Dannix,

Boolit Master
    Cadillo,

I recently watched my mechanic at the Jaguar dealership tighten the head bolts, and the other ones on a supercharged 5.0 (542bhp), "Gently". The factory says you torque them to spec in about six steps. Hamfisted will lead to stripping out the toolhead.

Improvements aside, and there are a few, like not having your reloading session halted dead in its tracks while you drill the old hole out, tap it, screw in the helicoil (do you do all of them at that point, or wait and do them one at a time as they strip?)

I am big on preventative maintenance, and this is a simple do it and forget about the potential disaster. I don't wait for the oil light to come on before I check my oil either.

We aren't talking a high torque application here. I have tool heads with both tapped threads and with helicoils. I have more trouble with the helicoil heads with than the ones that are threaded. I will continue to install helicoils in my stock Dillon toolheads, because it is an upgrade over stock, but much prefer the threaded toolheads that are available.

I wonder why you cannot see the difference between the tightness of headbolts compared to a screw that is gently snugged with nothing more than an Allen wrench turned by a thumb and index finger.

What's the specified torque specs for your headbolts?

Did you know that even cast iron heads require that the headbolts be torqued incrementally? I've built a few Chevy small blocks in my day and incremental tightening is the rule ofthe day with any cylinder head.

Apples and oranges guy!

Buy and use the product YOU prefer!

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    Cadillo,

I recently watched my mechanic at the Jaguar dealership tighten the head bolts, and the other ones on a supercharged 5.0 (542bhp), "Gently". The factory says you torque them to spec in about six steps. Hamfisted will lead to stripping out the toolhead.

Improvements aside, and there are a few, like not having your reloading session halted dead in its tracks while you drill the old hole out, tap it, screw in the helicoil (do you do all of them at that point, or wait and do them one at a time as they strip?)

I am big on preventative maintenance, and this is a simple do it and forget about the potential disaster. I don't wait for the oil light to come on before I check my oil either.

Boolit Master

Heads and manifolds and such are tightened incrementally to make sure the parts being pulled to gether come together flat and don't leak or crack, not to keep them from stripping out. I just can't see a Dillon toolhead stripping,they just don't have to be that tight to work. I bought one of the improved toolheads from unique-tek but haven't tried them yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast