RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: 38 Special without Quickload

Boolit Master

38 Special without Quickload

Maybe I should break down and figure out Quickload..or somesuch!!
    But...Until I reach the 21st Century.
    I have been having pretty darn good Luck with the "new" Nitro100NF powder. But, Load Data is sparse..
    Non existent for Wadcutters.. I decided that 1.8 grains would be unlikely to "stick" a boolit...so load a couple...stick em in the 357 Contender barrel, (should be a Stout platform) and Chrono them a short walk out the back door!!!
    couple rounds loaded with 3.2 gr of 231, for control, netted 718 fps avg.
    1.8 gr of Nitro100 beget, 614 fps and sooty/dirty..
    2.0 gr returned 628 to 678 fps.. still sooty.
    2.3 grains is where I will stay for awhile anyway.. a clean 746 fps from the 10" contender..
    Now on to the couple of 38 Spl revolvers around the Farm.. Probably at 2.2 Grains if it is Clean!!!
    As an aside...my old PACT digital scale is Not light load Friendly.. better with the Tin pan from the old RCBS balance beam... but..trickling directly into the Balance Beam Scale is best for right now.. yea...very slow... but I will address that later.
    My Serious question is
    What would Quick Load say with this data...compared to my decidedly Antique Method and Equipment??
    Anyone??
    Thank You...Even if I went about this Bassackwards!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    746 fps from the 10" contender.
    I think from a pistol barrel 300 -400 fps +-

you did not tell us any of your load data / bullet weight/ shape /seating depth or oal
    the above will all effect what goes down the barrel

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford SD View Post
    I think from a pistol barrel 300 -400 fps +-

you did not tell us any of your load data / bullet weight/ shape /seating depth or oal
    the above will all effect what goes down the barrel
    My Bad
    I use the Lee 358-148 button nose Wadcutter, cast of as close as I can stay to 50-50 wheel weights/straight lead.
    Seated to the crimp groove...oal = ~1.252"
    with apologies
    Edit; maybe in a bit I will send some down the 3" Taurus!!! Snow out there just Now!!!

Not much help with quick loads.

I started doing this back in the 1980's and still do the same thing to this day. Take a "known" powder/load of a powder with a similar (faster is better) and use that load as a baseline.

VIHTAVUORI N310 is close to the burn rate of your powder. It lists 2.9gr for a starting load and 3.4gr for a max load.
    Reddot has a long standing use of 3.0gr with any 148gr hbwc/wc.

IMHO:
    Your 2.3gr load is on the lite side. Page 17 of this manual has load data using a 148gr hbwc and your nitro 100
    https://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Fr...urate_2003.pdf

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    Not much help with quick loads.

I started doing this back in the 1980's and still do the same thing to this day. Take a "known" powder/load of a powder with a similar (faster is better) and use that load as a baseline.

VIHTAVUORI N310 is close to the burn rate of your powder. It lists 2.9gr for a starting load and 3.4gr for a max load.
    Reddot has a long standing use of 3.0gr with any 148gr hbwc/wc.

IMHO:
    Your 2.3gr load is on the lite side. Page 17 of this manual has load data using a 148gr hbwc and your nitro 100
    https://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Fr...urate_2003.pdf
    Unfortunately, that data appears to be old...and relates to the Old Nitro 100...Not Nitro-100 NF.
    So Far I have tried the new Book Data from the Hodgden website
    Results out of the Taurus model 85, 3" barrel...but ported so actually only a 2-1/2 inch barrel. All Lee Molds.
    125gr RN over 3.4 gr of Nitro-100 NF gave 790fps avg
    140gr SWC over 2.8gr of Nitro-100NF gave 711fps avg
    158gr SWC over 2.6gr of Nitro-100 NF gave 646fps avg

Not by the book, but tested

3 rounds 148 button nose Wadcutter Over 2.6 gr of Nitro-100 NF out of 10" 357 Contender Barrel gave 722fps
    will try a larger sample..

Then I will test my suspicions with the 2.3 gr load under that Wadcutter in the Taurus...
    Stay tuned
    when/if it quits raining!!!!
    Edit; Short Reprieve.
    Lee Button nose Wadcutter cast of recycled...whatever.
    3.4 Grains of w231, gets "Normal" recoil and nets 711fps
    3.4gr of BE-86, is Mild and Sooty, at 650fps
    2.3gr of Nitro100NF, Exactly like 3.4 of BE-86... Going up to 2.6 of Nitro 100NF, which is only giving 650fps with 158SWC
    Will probably also go to 3.8 of BE-86, to give it a Chance also...
    One good thing...Everybody is on a 8x10 (piece of Paper)!!!! the 650 loads are just on the Very Bottom...while at 711, I am close to POA...
    Last edited by racepres; 03-17-2024 at 11:02 AM.

Boolit Master
    Thought I would update this...just because.
    It has become increasingly obvious to me, why faster powder yield Lower Velocities...at about equal pressures...
    ie At about what appears to be the same pressures, Not tested by Me, but researched at various locations written, and Online, Red Dot loads produce less fps, than Unique/BE-86, and Nitro-100NF, produces less fps than Red Dot...
    Something to recognize, and either live with...or dont!
    Anyway...I have basically settled on the 38 Special Loadings I will be using, with 125RN, 140swc, 148WC, and 158SWC..
    Even working on a Very Mild 357 load which I dislike, but the kids and my Bitter Half enjoy it!!! That Speed Six, can be as Mean as the little 5 shot Taurus!!!
    All less than Red Dot for fps, which is Under Unique/BE-86....So Be it!!!
    Maybe this helps someone in search of "Mild Loads", Pinching Pennies on Expensive (these days) powder.
    Last edited by racepres; 03-31-2024 at 04:47 PM.