Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new Ruger 77/357 and bagged a real trophy.

Here's the pic of my Ruger's. The 77/357 (left) and 77/44 (right). Going to shoot both tomorrow.

Boolit Buddy

??

How much was it field dressed?, are you going to have it mounted? Seriously - nice shooting and best of luck with the new Ruger - Bill

Maybe I got lucky with this pair of Rugers but they shoot very well. Yesterday we shot both out to 130 yards. In the 357 the largest group was about 2" even after the barrels were hot. 50 yd groups are clover leafed, 100 yd = 1.25" or less with an occasional flier caused by the gut pulling the trigger. In the 357 I'm using the 10B101 powder (8.5 gr) and the NOE 360-180 WFN with checks. In the 44 I'm using 2400 (21gr) under a LBT432-432 LFN.

I tried the 357 with no checks and found that they shoot just as good as the checked boolits. GP100man sent me some of the 360-180's plain base boolits. Same load, same point of impact as the GC version with and without GC's installed.

I have lapped both barrels which did improve the factory accuracy. The 357 is just a pleasure to shoot! The 44 is a bit tougher on the shoulder but still fun to shoot.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by altheating View Post
    I tried the 357 with no checks and found that they shoot just as good as the checked boolits. GP100man sent me some of the 360-180's plain base boolits. Same load, same point of impact as the GC version with and without GC's installed.

You defiantly got Lucky! that you are able to use a well broke in mold. Good to here they shoot great without the Checks. I will need to run some threw your Star.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've been wanting to see some detailed photos, here are some you might like to see :

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-M77-357.htm

Boolit Master
    Ben:

Thank you for the link !

Now to see if it can be rechambered to .357Max even if as a single shot !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Love Life
    That review has been out for a couple weeks now. It was one of the reasons I bought the rifle.

Ben- I didn't know you wanted DETAILED pictures. All you asked for were pictures. I apologize. I will snap some more pics with a better camera this week along with posting some dimensions. Are there any particular parts of the gun you want to see in more detail or did the gunblast articlae pretty much give you what you were looking for?
    Last edited by Love Life; 08-16-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    That review has been out for a couple weeks now. It was one of the reasons I bought the rifle.

Ben- I didn't know you wanted DETAILED pictures. All you asked for were pictures. I apologize. I will snap some more pics with a better camera this week along with posting some dimensions. Are there any particular parts of the gun you want to see in more detail or did the gunblast articlae pretty much give you what you were looking for?

I think everyone wants to see this gun up close. It seems to be pretty popular on this page. We are just jealous.

Love Life
    Anybody interested in seeing up close detailed photos just send me a PM. The pictures are to big to post here and I don't know how to make them smaller.

Boolit Master
    Send me the photos and I will resize them to post here on the Forum !
    I want to see if it will eject .357MAX !

Jerry

gllewis@pasadena.edu

The bolt opening measures 2.001"
    In front of my bullet seated to an OAL of 1.585" there is .0463" to the face of the barrel. That is right at the point where the bolt starts to kick the cartridge out of the action.

Last edited by altheating; 08-17-2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Added Picture

The bolt is pulled back to where it starts to kick the round out. In front of the bullet there is .0463" to the face of the barrel. Hope this helps. Hell, send me a 357 max case and I'll see if it ejects. Won't be able to chamber it, but I should be able to seat a bullet in the case, get it behind the ejector and see if it will eject.
    Last edited by altheating; 08-17-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Love Life :

No problem on the photos, they are slowly beginning to show up now. Many of us were reading about this rifle, a few people had seen them but for whatever reasons, there didn't seem to be a lot of detailed photos ( ex. the magazine construction itself, OAL of loaded rounds that the mag. would accommodate , complete rifle, photos of groups fired , etc ).

Thanks for your willingness to share photos.

Ben

One thing I did notice is that the mag just does not have a lot of upward pressure. They are also a bit finicky to remove from the well. They are constructed like the 77/hornet and the 77/44 magnum mags. I'm not taking mine apart for pics! Last time I took one apart from my 77/hornet it took two of us to get it back together. Now I clean mine by flushing it out with rubbing alcohol and use the air compressor to blow it dry and clean.

Boolit Grand Master
    Now I clean mine by flushing it out with rubbing alcohol and use the air compressor to blow it dry and clean.

I'd say that is a very smart approach. Those rotary mags. can require 6 sets of hands to get back together.

Ben

Boolit Master
    altheating:

Thank you for the photos and measurements ! I will take you up on the offer to eject a .357MAX round.

Please PM me your address and I will send a couple pieces of new brass to test.

Best Regards,

Jerry

Love Life
    I just got back from the range with mine. I am about 97% sure that the 358477 is not the best boolit choice for 100 yards. I have tried up and down the powder scale. No dice. I will order some this week that are sized at .358 and .359 and see how they work out.

The NOE 360-95-SP is coming along nicely. IN 357 mag brass it grouped relatively well at 100 yards and that was only using the starting charge and working up one grain. Hopefully as I move up the powder scale it will continue to tighten up. We'll see...

Now (as it always happens) the most accurate load I have fired through this gun is the Lee 358-125-RF. I figured I would give it a shot at 100 yards to see what it would do. I fired 5 shots. They were low (no surprise), but the most screwed up part is they were ALL TOUCHING!! So I make scope adjustments to get it in the black and I kid you not it would fire 5 shot 1 to 1 1/2 inch groups without fail. I just cant believe it. I have all this shiny starline 357 mag brass. My custom mould and my lyman mould. Have been working load developement with those 2 moulds in 357 and 38 special brass, and on a wim I fire my boolits from my $19 mould and presto. Minute of ground squirrel accuracy at 100 yards without even trying.

Oh well. I will continue to experiment. I am e-mailing the pics to another member to post.

Boolit Grand Master
    Love Life

I'm also a fan of the Lee 125 RF ( as you can see ). It is a shooter in my Marlin.
    Powder charge was 5.5 grs. of Russian Unique ( Salute ).

The Max case is 1.605 long. With a 180 grain boolit, my OAL is 1.955". From what I've read here and on GunBlast, that length would be too long for the Ruger rotary magazine. You would also likely not be able to eject a loaded round.

IIRC, the Max is listed at 48 kpsi. I load mine, in an Encore, a bit north of that. The 77/357 has a rear bolt lockup, correct? A conversion would likely be just single shot that may not handle max cartridge pressure.

Boolit Grand Master

Back to the original post. I always like it when a fly lands on the target. Don't get many, but when I do, and there is a wing or part of a wing on the edge of the blt hole, it brings great satisfaction.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying