Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Nose outa round

Nose outa round

Is a slightly ovaled nose on my Lee 185-312-1R be anything to be all worked up over? I finally got it to cast good and filled out nice but messing around with the calipers at the nose i see that on the part line its .299 and 90 degree's to that its .301 which engraves perfectly on my M39 can I fix this some how or just let it ride and go shoot'em.....................................RU
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    I guess the definitive answer needs to come from Oldfeller, but I've found I can reduce ovality by further lapping. However you only use further lapping if you want to make the bullet bigger, which you don't. To reduce ovality without enlarging the mould would require distorting it by squeezing enough to cause a permanent set. Seems like the kind of thing a serious craftsman does, and I don't do.

Boolit Master
    Shoot a few and see how bad (or good) they work. 3 or 4 3 shot groups can save a lot of work.

i'd go shoot a few. I've spent a lot of time trying to fix non-existing problems

Banned

That is a common thing with almost every mold. Everyone of them will shoot great until someone measures them, then all of a sudden, the boolit is bad. Don't let it work on your head which is a lot worse condition then the boolit is. I have yet to see a perfect cast boolit.

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2007 cherok9878's Avatar
    I agree with 44man. I am fairly new to casting and found out rather quickly I could never produce a perfect boolit. Visual check, Pretty pile, ugly pile, remelt pile. The ugly pile shoots as well as the pretty pile. For me this is FUN not rocket sience ..................larry