RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 94 of 128 FirstFirst ... 4484858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2555

Thread: Loading bench pics

Looks good to me! You have it pretty well organized, considering how much equipment you have...
    Looking for a Brown Bair I

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ARTCA
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    "The "legs" go all the way to the joists above and are connected with hurricane ties and deck screws. They are attached to the concrete floor with L brackets and Tapcon screws."

That is a great design. Essentially no movement.
    I agree with jmort; running the "legs" all the way up to the floor joists makes a very rigid table. I've had my bench set up like this for years...

I did finally discover one shortcoming that I did not anticipate... Since I'm usually the one pulling the handle, I never noticed how much noise I'm making upstairs. With the "legs" connected to the floor joists, the floor above the bench becomes a sounding board, or "speaker", for all the vibration I'm creating... In my little house, the floor above is the living room. I only discovered the noise when a friend came over to use my 550 and I went upstairs... All this time, and the wife never complained....

As much as I like this bench, I'm going to build a new one that doesn't echo through the floor above...

Quote Originally Posted by StratsMan View Post
    I agree with jmort; running the "legs" all the way up to the floor joists makes a very rigid table. I've had my bench set up like this for years...

I did finally discover one shortcoming that I did not anticipate... Since I'm usually the one pulling the handle, I never noticed how much noise I'm making upstairs. With the "legs" connected to the floor joists, the floor above the bench becomes a sounding board, or "speaker", for all the vibration I'm creating... In my little house, the floor above is the living room. I only discovered the noise when a friend came over to use my 550 and I went upstairs... All this time, and the wife never complained....

As much as I like this bench, I'm going to build a new one that doesn't echo through the floor above...
    Cook your wife dinner, she deserves it.
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Buddy

I agree, you should do something nice for her. Mine makes me go 50yds out to my shop.

Boolit Buddy
    How far apart are you guys mounting your presses? Center to center distance? I'm planning a build and want to mount three presses across a bench of TBD length. I'll likely use Inline quick change mounts, so I may be able to get them a little closer together since I'll be able to easily move a press out for more space.

Quote Originally Posted by 0802 View Post
    How far apart are you guys mounting your presses? Center to center distance? I'm planning a build and want to mount three presses across a bench of TBD length. I'll likely use Inline quick change mounts, so I may be able to get them a little closer together since I'll be able to easily move a press out for more space.
    I used the Pat Marlins ROCK Doc http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...g-Mount-System
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 0802 View Post
    The Inline quick change mounts look to be a great system - as well as Pat Marlin's ROCK DOCK. PLEASE don't take this as a slam against either one, or for that matter any other system you choose to mount your equipment. Years ago I read what Dean Grennell wrote in "ABC's of reloading" about mounting equipment to a piece of wood and C clamping it to the bench. Ever since I've reloaded I've mounted my equipment to either a piece of wood or steel/aluminum. Solid as a rock (cheap too) and you can move it wherever you need it. All you need is a piece of steel or aluminum and 2 c clamps and you're in business.

Attachment 154283

Attachment 154282
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master

So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master

I never noticed how much noise I'm making upstairs. With the "legs" connected to the floor joists, the floor above the bench becomes a sounding board, or "speaker", for all the vibration I'm creating... In my little house, the floor above is the living room..
    I got a good one for you. When I was in college, in the dorms, I thought it would be a good idea to screw a speaker to the chair. Not an enclosed speaker, just a raw subwoofer. No box, so it didn;t make noise. Just a bass shaker. I'd watch movies, games, whatever at 3 AM and my roomate wouldn;t so much as wake up.

But it was my weight against the chair legs on the floor. Those vibrations transmitted through and I had no idea I turned th 10'x19' concrete ceiling of the dorm below me into a giant subwoofer. The two girls living down there were NOT happy with me when they knocked on my door one day at 2AM to find out what on earth I was doing up there. (movie with headphones, it was silent in my room).

I was embarrassed to say the least.

Boolit Master
    "The two girls living down there were NOT happy with me when they knocked on my door one day at 2AM to find out what on earth I was doing up there. "

Interesting way to meet girls...

I usually just walk up to them and say"Hi"...but whatever works for you...just seems like an awful lot of trouble just to meet some girl.

Boolit Master

That's the trouble that Dorks go to, and I am a Professional in that category.

Back to reloading benches. I have a 48" wide reloading bench and I am thinking about moving it to a new spot that will be hedged in on both sides, so more like a 48" floor to ceiling cubby for reloading. I have two mounts on the bench, one for a lubrisize and one for a press. I move the press (or change it) as needed to suit the operation. the bench is used ONLY for reloading.

Would you guys feel too crammed into place for such a bench? I can rotate it, but there are costs to that idea too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    Back to reloading benches. I have a 48" wide reloading bench and I am thinking about moving it to a new spot that will be hedged in on both sides, so more like a 48" floor to ceiling cubby for reloading. I have two mounts on the bench, one for a lubrisize and one for a press. I move the press (or change it) as needed to suit the operation. the bench is used ONLY for reloading.

Would you guys feel too crammed into place for such a bench? I can rotate it, but there are costs to that idea too.
    Personally, I would feel very crammed in such a space. Don't worry though, your reloading equipment will increase until you can feel crammed also...

Boolit Master

My bench is 48 inches long and I do fine. I don't do anything but load cartridges on it...no bullet sizing or casting. I only work on one loading project at a time. I have two presses and a Uniflow permanently installed (my scale is set-up on a shelf on the wall). I keep it cleaned up except for what I am actually using.

Boolit Master

where do you put your presses? my two are currently 12 inches from the left, and 6 inches from the far right. I think it's a little crammed on the left side. The right for now is open, so no worries there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    where do you put your presses? my two are currently 12 inches from the left, and 6 inches from the far right. I think it's a little crammed on the left side. The right for now is open, so no worries there.
    12" from the left and as far right as possible (since I'm right handed). I have some bins that can hang from the front of the bench. This adds some space. I know there are people who claim they "need" to have a mess on their bench and therefore need for large workspaces. But if you consider the area actually being used when loading, it doesn't need to be that much.

Boolit Master

funny how similarly we set up our benches. I too put some angle iron on the bench (though only in front of the press riser) for hanging a bin. Thanks

I’ve only been reloading since May. Started out loading .308 on a Lee Loader (Whack A Mole). A month later I had a single stage press. Seating primers with a hammer made me nervous. Single stage press was a huge upgrade. I’ve since started loading .357 Magnum and .45 Colt.

I wish I had a dedicated loading bench, but I do not. I don’t even have anywhere to build another room onto the house, tho I have ideas. If I added on like I’d like to I’d loose my deck, and if I built a new deck, I’d loose most of my back yard, so my reloading stuff is C-clamped to my work bench in my shop.

First photo is my bench while loading some .308 with the Lee Loader.

Second photo is from today while loading some .45 Colt.

Gary
    Will Fly for Food... and More Ammo

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wingspar View Post
    I wish I had a dedicated loading bench, but I do not. I don’t even have anywhere to build another room onto the house, tho I have ideas. If I added on like I’d like to I’d loose my deck, and if I built a new deck, I’d loose most of my back yard, so my reloading stuff is C-clamped to my work bench in my shop.
    Less backyard, less backyard to mow... Sounds like a win-win situation to me...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Less backyard, less backyard to mow... Sounds like a win-win situation to me...
    Amen to that. I hate mowing!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by prsman23 View Post
    Amen to that. I hate mowing!
    Same here. I might expand my garden so I don't have as much to mow. Spending time weeding is worthwhile since I get food out of it. Mowing grass is a waste of time and gas.

Page 94 of 128 FirstFirst ... 4484858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104 ... LastLast