MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 89 of 128 FirstFirst ... 39798081828384858687888990919293949596979899 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 2555

Thread: Loading bench pics

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    Roger,

Consider sinking a 1/4" steel plate into the workbench (or bolted in from the bottom side) rather than "mounting holes". Reason being, those mounting holes never seem to be where you need them after planning their "universal location". Plans change after a year or two.

But with a plate, you can put a mounting hole anywhere. .........
    ----------------

My bench gets shelves. I just never grow into peg, and everything gets dusty. I also dust my shop with a leaf blower, and peg has never facilitated that process as well as proper cubbies.
    I was thinking that the presses would get mounted to a wood base and the holes to mount the wood base would go in the bench. All the wood bases using the same holes in the bench. Figure that would allow me to make some changes in location by just moving the press on its wood base. Or making a new base with same base to bench holes but tool mounted on base in different location.

Which brings me to another question. Why do people place the presses at the ends of the bench? I would think work room on both sides of press would be an advantage but it does seem fairly common to see a press fairly close to the right or left end of the bench. Not counting the folks that have a whole line of the suckers. I'm thinking I may be missing something I should consider that is driving that press placement. Maybe I should try something different... if I knew what I was trying.

I'm looking through the whole thread for ideas and will probably start by using C clamps to mount press, which is what I do now in the garage, at least until I get a feel for what works.

ROFL over the look I imagine on face of dear wife if I fired up a gas leaf blower in the basement! Pretty sure I would not get any brownie points for volunteering to dust the basement without being asked.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

I was only suggesting an alternative to the idea of the wooden base. it's up to you how you want to make it happen.

Room to work both sides of the press is critical in my shop. Best spot is 75% to one side. A good 12" on one side, and expansive space to the other side. That works best for me.

Boolit Master

I use C clamps for just about everything except my main press. I only have two single stage presses at present and if I ever get a progressive, I will need as much flexibility as I can get.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I came across a piece of 1/4in steel about 18in wide and 8in deep and routed it into the top of my bench. Talk about a mess after the routing was done. I then marked and drilled and tapped a bunch of holes for various pieces of gear. I use c-clamps for the rest of the things I need. It has worked fine for my setup so far.

gmsharps

Drill and tap a mounting plate does seem like a very robust solution. I'll keep it in mind. It's not like I'm never at the scrap metal yard looking for lead, pretty sure I could expand search to include metal plate at some point.

Decided to go with a mix. Am going to run peg board across because I want some sort of backing to keep stuff from falling over the back edge. But am going to put cubby/shelves in front of 1/2 to 2/3 of that peg board back. 3 to 4 foot width of shelves maybe 2 ft. high at the top. Might run all the way up for one part. Have to work out a plan and materials list.

Must say this thread and all the ideas is a great help. While I like being able to cast a "do over" I sort of hate doing it for stuff I build.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Boolit Master
    I use 3/4" 6061 aluminum and drilled and tapped. I attach several tools to these plates and they attach to jr strut (smaller unistrut) that is Inletted into the bench. I can slide any of these tools left or right or quickly remove. I use 1/4 turn nuts in the jr strut. A pic is in post 1704, third pic down. I will next mount my lead furnaces to these aluminum blocks and jr strut so they can not be tipped over.
    Lab
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Mold

One spot left for the 1050 waiting in the garage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Img_3498.jpg  

Well it is done. I'm still rummaging around finding stuff. Know I have some small rifle primers..... which is why I made the bench. Need this stuff in one location. Price was about $100 in materials, but I had the OSB used for the work surface and shelves already. So add one sheet of whatever if you were building it. Less the cost of the pegboard if you don't do that and/or cost of 2 @ 2x8x8 if you did not do the small shelves on the right side of the worktop.

Only changes from workbench plan I linked to in prior post was I added a 45 degree brace from back leg to lower shelf. You can see one on the lower right next to the ammo box. I also used liquid nails construction adhesive on the bench, and the overhead. But not on where they join, wanted to be able to get it apart into movable pieces. I also did not glue down the surface, may need or want to change that at some point.

Lights are a couple of under counter 8 watt fluorescents that have been sitting on a shelf in the basement for a few years waiting for this moment to arrive so they can be put to use. I do so love it when junk I have stored suddenly finds a use. The shelf unit next to it is moving out of there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_9805-1.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	135421

Next project is a heavy wood box for storing powder in. With powder availability so hit or miss (but getting better) I think I'm keeping enough on hand that a 1 inch thick box to protect it is in order. Ok not a lot of powder compared to the folks that buy multiple 8# jugs but since I have to keep it someplace a solid wood box seems like a good choice.

Want to possibly get some plastic drawer units also. Maybe for underneath the bench on the shelf. Really enjoyed looking through this thread finding ideas, some of which I have bookmarked for "someday" and if nothing else folks sharing what they had done helped motivate me to get off my duff and do something myself.

Boolit Bub

Good looking bench RogerDat.

I like the quality of lighting you have. That will be my next upgrade. My eyes need better lighting at my bench. The peg backboard it a good touch as well. Nice to get things up into a handy position off the bench top.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range
    the card files around here sell at auctions for 15.00 tops I have the 36 drawer metal cabinets I bought at sales for 80.00 for a like new ones

Boolit Master
    McCarthy,

Nice clean setup!

Nice presses also!

A belated welcome to the forum as well!!

Three 44s

Boolit Bub

McCarthy,

That is a nice clean setup. Is that a magnified desk lamp?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmp_21801-14277709822451024782691.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	135648

Not much yet, but only just got into reloading. 357 mag using a Lee Loader and a stump. It works. Stores my leather and reloading supplies nicely.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    McCarthy,

Nice clean setup!

Nice presses also!

A belated welcome to the forum as well!!

Three 44s

Quote Originally Posted by Rhou45 View Post
    McCarthy,

That is a nice clean setup. Is that a magnified desk lamp?

Thanks guys

I just started reloading a couple month ago and went full in. An OCD'ers dream come true.. I love it.

Yes, that's a LED Magnifier Light with 1.75 magnification made by AVEN. It helps so much to have a clear view of the cases.

http://www.zoro.com/i/G5384233/

Under Construction. I learned early on a deep roloading bench is a bad idea, always reaching over stuff and stuff getting knocked down. A real PITA!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2821.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	135895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2822.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	135896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2823.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	135897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2824.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	135898 stuff is till getting moved around and I'm not sure where it will finally end up. I was gonna paint everything white but got impatient, wanted to be reloading so here it is, and I am up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean357 View Post
    Not much yet, but only just got into reloading. 357 mag using a Lee Loader and a stump. It works. Stores my leather and reloading supplies nicely.
    I really hate to break the bad news to you. My addiction started out with a Lee Loader in .38 Special..... and a canvas bag for materials and supplies........Just saying. Beware!

Like the stump idea. I searched all over the place for a used wood stool, then spent about 3 hrs. modifying it and I'm sure it is not as solid as just cutting a log would have been had I thought of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daiute View Post
    Under Construction. I learned early on a deep roloading bench is a bad idea, always reaching over stuff and stuff getting knocked down. A real PITA!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2821.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	135895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2822.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	135896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2823.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	135897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2824.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	135898 stuff is till getting moved around and I'm not sure where it will finally end up. I was gonna paint everything white but got impatient, wanted to be reloading so here it is, and I am up and running.
    Aw yes , one look in the mancave and we always know what brand of coffee he prefers ....
    I happen to have red all over !
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master

I've got a few of the red containers. Accumulated them before I found Community Coffee(comes in bags).

Wish my bench was as neat as some pictured in this thread.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I've got a few of the red containers. Accumulated them before I found Community Coffee(comes in bags).

Wish my bench was as neat as some pictured in this thread.
    My vote for neates bench goes to Mcarthy. There have been times when I was too ashamed to post photos of my bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daiute View Post
    .... I was too ashamed to post photos of my bench.
    +1; mine too!
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Page 89 of 128 FirstFirst ... 39798081828384858687888990919293949596979899 ... LastLast