Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 88 of 128 FirstFirst ... 38787980818283848586878889909192939495969798 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 2555

Thread: Loading bench pics

Boolit Buddy

That looks a lot like mine…….primers right beside the powder. I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this, I don't feel so bad now. Nice setup though! Real nice bench.
    What if..... you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 3jimbo3 View Post
    That looks a lot like mine…….primers right beside the powder. I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this,
    I do that too. I figure the primers are a lot closer to the powder in the thousands of rounds I have on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    Here is mine, a work in progress. I still need to do some staining, trim and flooring. This room is 8'-0"x12'-0" inside. The workbench is 1-1/2" quarter sawn white oak biscuited and glued, screw holes plugged with mahogany plugs.
    Looks like you need a few more model 61 pots. LOL

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcw1970 View Post
    Looks like you need a few more model 61 pots. LOL
    I like the 61's, currently have 3 -61's, one Lyman xx and recently bought a very nice mag 20.
    Lab
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    Here is mine, a work in progress. I still need to do some staining, trim and flooring. This room is 8'-0"x12'-0" inside. The workbench is 1-1/2" quarter sawn white oak biscuited and glued, screw holes plugged with mahogany plugs.

What, where, and how to I get my hands on a cabinet like this?

Boolit Buddy
    If you can find an old Auto parts house, they may still have there old card directory's. thats where i got mine.
    You know, there's an old saying, Miss Sally. There's no law west of the Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chism? James Pepper

Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there. John Simpson Chism

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    I see them sometimes at estate sales for around 40 bucks. I got this one in Columbus for $20. It really freed up a lot of space.
    Lab
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gunshot98 View Post
    If you can find an old Auto parts house, they may still have there old card directory's. thats where i got mine.
    Sometimes you can find an old library card catalog that would work also.

Just think how many reloading dies you could store with these cabinets...

Last edited by NavyVet1959; 02-20-2015 at 06:05 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    A common descriptor for these is "30 drawer cabinet."

That's a good search term for google or Craig's List.

Boolit Buddy

This is my reloading "corner" of the garage. Needed something compact as I had very little room to spare unless I did a major layout change. Picked the cabinet up on CL for $50 - it was exactly what I was looking for. Notice I have mobile lighting as well, but this setup works real well for me.

On the opposite side of that wall is a fold out table top where I do all my casting outside.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150220_213043.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	131514

Name:	IMG_20150220_213058.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	131515

Name:	IMG_20150220_213110.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	131516

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by rogerstg View Post
    I do that too. I figure the primers are a lot closer to the powder in the thousands of rounds I have on hand.

That's a REALLY good point! I never thought of it that way.
    What if..... you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

I use library card catalogs--lots of drawers, real wood and were free to haul away from school.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rl-4.JPG  
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bear67 View Post
    I use library card catalogs--lots of drawers, real wood and were free to haul away from school.
    If you look up the current prices for those library card catalogs, you will quickly realize that you made out like a bandit on that deal!

Boolit Buddy

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	131847

Here is the bench I finished tonight. Spent a lot of time thinking about it.

I have taken some health and safety courses and participated in several kaizen and other movement and motion studies.

Hight is very important and most benches are low to me standing 6' 2". The top on this bench is 33" tall.

I have seen with many (including myself) that a work bench is typically used only at the front 12". The rest typically collects junk. Shelves and cabinets suffer as well. Any thing over 8" invites have items lost because they are pushed to the back. Many shelves are to far apart wasting space as well

For these reasons the top is 17.5" deep by 60 " long. It's 3" thick made by laminating 12 2x4 on edge together. 2x4's are planed on both faces and glued together a few at a time. After all are glued I used a power planer to rough the top and bottom flat and then hand planed the top smooth.

Views:	284 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	131848

The shelves are 6.5" wide and 6.5" between each shelf. I found this perfect to fit 2 high 30220 akro bins, 3 high 50 round pistol boxes(45 colt), a 500 box of bullets, or a 1 pound bottle of powder(imr, hodgen).

They are southern yellow pine 2x8's planed down to 1" thick and ripped straight on both sides to 6.5". The back is 1/2" acx. More to keep stuff on the shelf. The shelves are dado into the sides and glued/screwed together. Before the ply was installed the shelves supported my 220lbs standing on them. They are not going to sag

Views:	348 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	131849

The the left side has a rack for my dillon 650 heads. I glued 5/8 thick by 1" wide oak strips onto the sides. There are six slots and each if required can hold two heads if you put the flats together on the heads. I only have 4 heads now so the bottom slots have my brownells screwdriver set and a lansky set and calipers. The back piece of ply is glued and screwed on and over hangs the bottom by two inches. The bottom front is drilled on the under side and a 1/4" threaded insert is installed. Holes drilled in the top allow 3.5" bolts to be installed from the bottom and screws installed through the ply into the back edge of the top but not glued.

Base is mortise and tendoned 2x4's doubled. A pair of 1" dowel is inserted into the top of the base. The top is drilled with matching holes and is set on the base. The base weighs 50~, the top maybe a 100, and the shelf 75. All comes apart for easy 2 person transport.

On the right side is a roughed routed out area. An 8x8 " quick change bench plate will go there of my own design. I pick up the plasma cut plates tomorrow and need to do some minor machining. It will hold my shotshell press, single stage, or a vise.

Will post when complete.

Navyvet: I like to take something free or real cheap and make something useful out of it. Funny thing is that I got a call today about some more library card catalogs that I need to go look at. Seemed to think I could have them for hauling off.

Recycle and reuse someone else's junk--I am not tight, but I squeek when I walk.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

Boolit Master
    Firebrick, that Dillon tool head cubby is slick!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Mold

Smile

Name:	bench.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	133294My bench after cleaning and adding a new press.

I'm just finishing up an actual indoor bench that did not start out life as a bar stool. Which does work if you pile enough lead on the bottom. The steel welding/smelting table in the garage is not really at a good height and the dear wife had me replace the two sheets of OSB she used for tap dance practice in the basement. Hmmm two sheets of OSB? Haul them up or haul some 2x4's down?

My issue now is figuring out do I want to go with a shelf & cubby approach to the back or the pegboard approach. In looking through this thread I see a lot of nice cubby and shelf type arrangements, but also some that use peg board to good advantage. Which would you do if your were building this?

These are the plans I used http://www.instructables.com/id/Simp...den-Workbench/
    Looks about like this except that I used OSB rather than plywood. 1/2" with 1/4" running cross wise (1/4" was to join sheets for dancing on)

Name:	workbench-complete-rough.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	134937

This is what it might look like with peg board. Without all the tools of course.

Name:	workbench-complete.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	134938

I'm figuring I'll use mounting holes with wood bases so I can swap equipment out. Probably two stations. Single stage & powder dispenser or Lee Classic turret press I may swap them out just so I can leave the bench more open. I may add some corner braces at a 45 * coming off the back legs to the lower shelf. Both for more rigid frame and so stuff does not "sprawl" out the sides.

My biggest question is do I want to spend the money on board/lumber for a set of shelves / cubbies along the back or buy the peg board. Wife won't be happy with me if I leave this thing unfinished in the basement for too long so I'll be doing something pretty darn quick. Something about tools and sawdust she has to wade through when she goes down to practice dancing.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Roger,

Consider sinking a 1/4" steel plate into the workbench (or bolted in from the bottom side) rather than "mounting holes". Reason being, those mounting holes never seem to be where you need them after planning their "universal location". Plans change after a year or two.

But with a plate, you can put a mounting hole anywhere. Drill anywhere needed with a 13/64 drill bit, then drill through the wood with a 1/4" or larger bit, stopping at the steel plate. Tap the steel 1/4-20 and you are good to go. Or whatever size threads you want to use. I usually pick 5/16 or 3/8.

8x8 steel plate or 12x12 is just right. And if you swiss cheese up your tabletop too much (not gonna happen) then you can always drill a standard size over the holes and put dowel plugs in.

----------------

My bench gets shelves. I just never grow into peg, and everything gets dusty. I also dust my shop with a leaf blower, and peg has never facilitated that process as well as proper cubbies.

Page 88 of 128 FirstFirst ... 38787980818283848586878889909192939495969798 ... LastLast