WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 6 of 128 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Loading bench pics

Hey great. Finally got my bench built last week. It's one of those 2x4 Basics kits from Cabela's. I made the frame from 2x4s, the benchtop has a 2x10 up front with 2x6 spanning the rest of the top. Measures 7 feet long, 30 inches deep and is 35.5 inches tall.

The top is supported by three 2x4 fasted to the top frame at 2.5 feet inside plus dead center at 3.5 feet by joist hangers and drywall screws. The rest of the boards are fastened with 2 or 3 inch coated deck screws with the square drive. The two inch screws are used for the leg and frame joints and the top is held down with the 3 inch screws. The 2x10 front, which the presses are mounted on, is screwed down three times on each end plus every 12 inches up front. On the 2x6s, it is just two on each end plus a run up the middle.

The two bottom shelves aren't done yet but they will be supported by 2x4s and joist hangers like the benchtop is but just be 3/4" plywood. I will make some drawers that slide out on the shelves so that I don't have to add lights down there but be able to keep it organzied and convienent.

I have the Lee Classic Turret press mounted to the right, with the Dillon swager around the corner. The MEC 600jr is on the far left, turned in for easy reach of all the stages. The Dillon 550 is getting refurbed at Dillon but that will go in the right of middle. I'm getting another RC and that will go between the Dillon and MEC to the left of center.

Hey, thats nice! If I may be so rude to ask, what was the approx. total lumber cost, plus the kit?? Thanks, Bill T.

Cabela's sells the kit for $72.99 BUT BUY IT FROM NORTHERN TOOL. They want $50-55 for the same thing. The lumber cost me about $80. I mixed and matched and didn't use all the stuff, as it turned out not exactly as on paper. I was supposed to be able to use the 2x10s for the whole top but the numbers wouldn't work out. I thought the actual dimension was 1.5x9.5" when it is actually 9.25". Anyways, I got 2- 12ft 2x10, 6-10ft 2x6, 6-8ft 2x4, 10- 3" joist hangers and a pound each of 2" and 3" coated deck screws with the #9 square drive.

I made 6-7ft long and 6- 30" long boards of 2x4. I only use 7ft of the 2x10 and 4-7ft boards of the 2x6 for the frame and top. The joist hangers were cut at 27.75" and I made three of them. I'll need six more of these and they (2x4) are $3ea for a 10ft board.

It also comes with shelving fittings to make shelves out of 2x4s and these plastic things. I was going to make a two tier shelf on the rear of the bench but the shelf things are 15" deep and they would take up half my benchtop. The shelves underneath will be more than plenty of storage. I load for 9 cartridges plus 20ga shotgun.

All my brass and bullets/boolits will fit on one shelf alone. I'm going to put kegs of powder on the bottom shelf with bullets/boolits and rarely used tools. The top shelf will be brass and common tools along with manuals. The turrets for the LCT and caliber conversions for the 550 will be in the top drawer also, to clean up the top. I'm leaving the 1# samplers on the benchtop.

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    I was going to make a two tier shelf on the rear of the bench but the shelf things are 15" deep and they would take up half my benchtop. The shelves underneath will be more than plenty of storage. I load for 9 cartridges plus 20ga shotgun.
    The whole wall behind the bench is empty. You might want to consider mounting pegboard on a frame to the back of the bench or to the wall. Handy place to hang tools or create flexible shelving.

-ktw

I don't know yet how I'm going to work it. I wanted to put charts and such behind there for quick reference. Type up all my standard loads so I can refresh myself at a glance.

Boolit Mold Smiling Bob Masterson's Avatar

Question about your fabricated strong mount

MDF99,

In a post dated 1-23-07 you posted the following pic:

Quote Originally Posted by MDF99 View Post
    Here's my basement bench setup.

Would it be possible to get some additional pics/dimensions/construction details on the fabricated strong mount the RCBS press is mounted on? My email is smilingbobmasterson@q.com
    Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,
    Smiling Bob

My custom set up for my Apt while I'm in school
    My firearms project blog

no fair you get to keep toys at school!

I'm ashamed to show you guys mine. I have a small room here at the house, we dont know what the original intent was but I kinda took it over. But I sure need more room. But it just goes to show you what you can do in a small space. I turn out lots of ammo in there. I have a table under a covered patio I do my casting on and do my smelting on another concrete patio in back.

Poor boy setup.

Swamprat

Boolit Master
    Edmond, Oklahoma - that's N. of the Red River
    Swamprat1052,

That is a great job of maximizing a small space AND electrical outlets.

Dave

Added a few things to my bench. A RC, Uniflow PM, trimmer and a Dillon 550.

VTDW, that cord hanging is for my light. I put a switched plug in the ceiling and ran a shop light cord to it. I should have hung it better for the pic. lol. It aint as hokey as it looks. I ran wire mold from an existing plug to get more outlets. It works.

Swamprat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post

My custom set up for my Apt while I'm in school
    Love the Sammy Adams 12er under the bench, thats something I would never do.

Boolit Master

Freakshow,

I built my bench years ago and used 2x4"s and 2x6"s for the frame and a sheet of 5/8" partical board sawed right down the middle lenghtwise to make the top double thickness or 1 1/4" by 30" deep by 10' long. This is a special size of partical board that my lumber yard had. I have one shelf under it near the floor made from a 2x12 and mounting on the back half so I have room for feet under the top. Sadly to say it is now in a storage building awaiting the finishing of my reloading room.

Boolit Buddy
    Swamprat—

Looks to me like the original purpose of the room was a library. I guess card catalog file makers are in about as much demand now as buggy whip makers. Ain't the digital age great?
    Plans and dreams are what we have until life gets in the way.

XNGH E Clampus Vitus, Platrix Chapter No. 2 "Credo Quia Absurdum"

Freakshow... What are those clampy looking gizmos on the top corners of the metal legs?

Typecaster, I did maintenance work at a school district for quite a while. When the librarys went to computers I bought those card catalogue files for next to nothing from surplus. They work pretty good for storing reloading stuff. I took out the slides and put masonite in the bottom, I dont know what I'd do without em now.

Swamprat

Boolit Bub

Here's an old pic of my bench with 1 1050, my SDB and my old Rock Chucker. When the repair shop sends my camera back I'll post a new pic with the other 1050 on the bench.

M.O.P.H.--D.A.V.-- N.R.A.-- Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chargar View Post
    Freakshow... What are those clampy looking gizmos on the top corners of the metal legs?
    Haven't checked this thread in a while. Sorry.

Those are clamps that come with the 2x4 Basics bench kit. There are a couple grey hook thingies that you can attach to the bench to hand tools and they have holes in the top for screwdrivers, etc. I have a 1yo son so I can't hang tools off the bench.

I like the clamps there. If I had a dedicated shop I'd get another one of these bench kits and put it in the middle of the room with clamps on all four legs.

They work great. I clamped my Encore barrel in there while I hacked it off a bit. Held my GP100 in there too while I slugged the bore and throats. Hold my guns in there while I run a brush through. Work pretty well.

They have them able to be mounted to hold work at a 90° joint for glueing or screwing, etc. Northern Tool has the same legs and shelf links kit for $55; about $20 cheaper than Cabela's. I'm getting another one for the garage to replace my chinsy one.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Last edited by fatnhappy; 09-02-2020 at 10:05 PM.

Page 6 of 128 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast