Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 128 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Loading bench pics

KTW,

Ive got a suggestion for you. Mount your Lyman boolit sizing rig on a block of 2X4 and hang it up on the wall. When you want to use it, put it in your heavy duty vise. I keep 3 of the on the wall filled 3 different types of lube. Frees up the bench for big jobs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 450 in vise.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by georgewxxx View Post
    KTW,

Ive got a suggestion for you. Mount your Lyman boolit sizing rig on a block of 2X4 and hang it up on the wall. When you want to use it, put it in your heavy duty vise. I keep 3 of the on the wall filled 3 different types of lube. Frees up the bench for big jobs
    That is a good idea.

I have mounted the case trimmers on blocks and have been using them in the bench vise as you suggest. It did not yet occured to me to try the same with the bullet sizers and Trueline Jr presses. To date I have been c-clamping them to the bench as needed. This works fine with the RCBS sizer and Truelines, but c-clamping the Lyman sizer is awkward due to it's shape.

Thanks

-ktw

Don't it make ya' wonder how some of these guys get anything done with so much open space showing??? I haven't seen a bench top in decades.

Boolit Grand Master

I mounted a piece of steel plate on a bench and tapped it for various press mounting patterns. Similar to the vise idea, it is pretty handy for those things you don't use every day.

KTW,

You might want to put a ring of some kind of sealer under your sizer on that block of wood. A couple of mine started to leak and I had to go back and take them off and seal the bottoms. Forget just what I used at this point.....AGE!!!... Geo

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TDB9901 View Post
    Don't it make ya' wonder how some of these guys get anything done with so much open space showing??? I haven't seen a bench top in decades.
    It took me 3 weeks and 2 hired men to get the bench available for that picture... It hasn't looked like that before or since.

Boolit Buddy
    KTW, I do believe I see a "flinter" on the wall, has shiny spots in the right places. What's up with it?? That's my weakness, (.25,.45,14ga,12ga)
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by ARKANSAS PACKRAT View Post
    KTW, I do believe I see a "flinter" on the wall, has shiny spots in the right places. What's up with it?? That's my weakness, (.25,.45,14ga,12ga)
    Nick
    The guns on the wall are the ones that have been out for excercise recently.

I took up muzzleloaders for the first time about 4 or 5 years ago. Started with a 54 percussion GPR. Shot it a lot at the range. Shot a few deer with it. Decided I liked shooting muzzleloaders. So I took the next step and decided to order myself up a flintlock.

At the time I was looking for a lightweight squirrel rifle, something along the lines of the Traditions Crockett (32), only better quality and a flintlock. By the time I was done shopping around I found myself with this one - a 45 from Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading (Matt Avance). I thiink they call it their "Iron Pennsylvania" model. Better picture of mine can be found here: http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...a/penna-2b.jpg

Since the flinter arrived the GPR has been languishing away in the closet, not because I don't like it, but because I really like the 45. Shot my first flintlock deer with it last season.

I need to work up the confidence to build myself one from parts. A french trade gun/fusil de chasse and a long tang Southern Mtn/Tennessee are both on my "someday" list.

-ktw
    Last edited by ktw; 01-24-2007 at 11:27 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    GeorgeWXXX -- I had that exact idea. Except I mounted my RCBS on one end of a 2ft 4x4. Someday, when I have less to do (?!), I'm going to get another sizer and put it on the other end. One with pistol lube, one for with rifle lube. That way I can just loosen the vise and turn it around when I go from one lube to another. If am doing something else, it comes out completely and stores out of the way.

I added pic's of the casting bench out in my "bullet barn"
    (It's a work in progress)
    http://choppdaddy.com/reloadroom/
    I only hope that someday I can be half the Man that my Dogs already think I am!

Here is my reloading/casting equipment.

My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/

Hunter, that's a real nice setup. And it's not in a basement or a garage!
    How did you pull that off?

Quote Originally Posted by Sundogg1911 View Post
    Hunter, that's a real nice setup. And it's not in a basement or a garage!
    How did you pull that off?
    Thank you Sundogg. Well I am a single man and so I thought when I was decorating my bedroom a couple of Hornady presses would really spruce the place up.
    I like to be able to load inside the house so I can hear the stereo and be close to the fridge when I am done. Heat and A/C are also a plus. I do usually cast outside on the front porch though.
    My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/

Hunter. I would have guessed you were single to be able to pull that off.
    I have my loading stuff in the basement, and my casting stuff in my detached garage/office (We call it the bullet barn....kind of like being at camp) I have a wood/coal furnace for this time of year, and AC for the summer. Upstairs (Computer office) has a bathroom, 'fridge, home theater system, with a projector that lets me watch movies on an entire 8' wall, and an 8 x 10 deck facing the woods on the back. I think if I was single, i'd have my loading stuff in the bedroom, and probably my beer keg 'fridge, and I might put a urinal in there to save time too!

This is as clean as my bench has ever been. Cleaned it up specially for the pic. Been smelting wheel weights all day.

Nardoo
    Last edited by Nardoo; 01-28-2007 at 03:54 AM.

a lot of you guys have some great set-ups!

Moved into a new house last June and had a special room built into it, that enters off the garage, but is heated and cooled by the house stuff; year 'round set up. This picture is the reloading side with two Dillon 550's, a Lyman Crusher II and an old Bair Single stage. The last two are for black powder cartridge loading.

Next is the bullet casting, sizing/lubing and shotshell loading end, with a Star, 2 Lymans and a MEC 9000; recently added a air feed to the Star.

The other end has a gunsmithing bench, storage, gun safe, etc.

And here's a recent (yesterday and last thursday), casting setup where I did 350 45-70 540 gr black powder bullets, and 150 300 gr 38-55 bullets out of a Paul Jones mould. I set up 2 Lee 20 lb, non bottom pours, set up on a turkey fryer burner that I use for making ingots. Had to have extra wiring run to the room in order to run two melters, a hot plate for heating the moulds and other stuff all at the same time; use to blow the circuts at the other houses doing that.

McLintock

Boolit Master

I'm awful envious of all your setups. I use a stand that hold a reloading press and powder measure. the rest of my bench is the kitchen table.
    The only good thing is that the fridge is close by for that occasional adult beverage. When I lube boolits the press comes of and the luber goes on...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Going to try to post a few picks of my "man cave" as my wife calls it. I have pics of a general work table in the middle of everything and then three of my actuall loading set-up. It's a mess! Three gun projects plus a couple "honey do" projects all going on at the same time.
    Last edited by danski26; 07-11-2007 at 12:12 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    IF a cluttered desk means a cluttered mind does an organized desk really mean an organized mind? Substitute busy for cluttered and empty for organized ,or just never really working at it, well thats my excuse for not being able to find the top of my bench in years. BadWaterBill

Page 2 of 128 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast