Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Loading bench pics

Requirements for storage in a residential setting are different than those for commercial storage.
    And if they exist where you are will most likely not be the same as other places in your City, County, State or Country. Even if it's Ok in all of them if you rent or lease there my still be restrictions. In some places it's not OK to have a dog In your residence...

The ATF has requirements for explosives but smokeless gun powder is exempt.

Is smokeless powder designed for use in small arms ammunition subject to the explosives storage requirements?

Smokeless powders designed for use in small arms ammunition are exempt from regulation under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 40 and the regulations in 27 CFR Part 555. Packaging that readily identifies the smokeless powder as being designed for use in small arms ammunition may help in determining whether it is entitled to the exemption.
    https://www.atf.gov/explosives/qa/sm...osives-storage
    Last edited by jmorris; 12-13-2016 at 04:02 PM.

At any rate, I figure the ammo stored in ammo cans to be a bigger risk.
    I feel the high pressure oxygen and acetylene bottles and the 500 gallon propane tank are a bigger risk and yeah loaded ammo would be before smokeless powder by itself.

This was just sent to me by a fellow hand loader.

11-5.4 No more than 10,000 small arms primers may be stored in residences - http://www.saami.org/specifications_...01-Primers.pdf

Powder over 25 pounds must be in wooden box and no more then 50 pounds in a residence.

11-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb. (9.1 kg) shall be permitted to be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb. (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb. (22.7 kg), shall be permitted to be stored in residences where kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least 1 in. (25.4 mm) nominal thickness. -
    http://www.saami.org/specifications_...ess_Powder.pdf

Boolit Buddy

It said no more that 25k of small arms primers , so that means you can have 25 k small rifle and 25 k large rifle primers for a total of 50 K LOL
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Buddy

that must be an old picture , cause primers here are 40bux not 32.99 a 1000
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post

11-5.4 No more than 10,000 small arms primers may be stored in residences - http://www.saami.org/specifications_...01-Primers.pdf

Powder over 25 pounds must be in wooden box and no more then 50 pounds in a residence.

11-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb. (9.1 kg) shall be permitted to be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb. (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb. (22.7 kg), shall be permitted to be stored in residences where kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least 1 in. (25.4 mm) nominal thickness. -
    I suspect that many here exceed these quantities. Not speaking about myself, naturally.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post

Note, that is a RECOMMENDATION, not a legal requirement.
    RECOMMENDATIONS ON STORAGE AND HANDLING
    Issued by the National Fire Protection Association
    Battery March Park, Quincy, MA 02269 and reprinted with their permission:

Boolit Grand Master

NFPA guidelines are usually tied into building and fire code. For example Universal Building Code references NFPA guidelines. This makes them law if your municipality has adopted UBC. You need to know your local laws. Some are more restrictive than NFPA. You can't have a single 8# of powder in your residence in MD as it's above the allowed quantity.

This conversation always turns to people saying screw the government and they will do what they please. I don't know of an insurance claim being denied because someone had quantities greater than what the law allows. But I'm personally not willing to risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    . I don't know of an insurance claim being denied because someone had quantities greater than what the law allows. But I'm personally not willing to risk it.
    Seems there is no definitive Rule, law or agency that has control over this issue from what I've been seeing. I have gleaned much information and recommendations from this and at this point my greatest concern is for my own safety and well being. Along with the safety of my home.

In no way am I trying to imply that what we are doing is unsafe or that I believe these are going to cause a fire or hazard on their own. Question for me is how to minimize damage if a fire starts somewhere else in the house, spreads and reaches my reloading area.

Thanks for the discussion and enlightenment!

Boolit Buddy
    Here's my bench. It's in my living room by the way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4411.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	182667

Name:	DSCF4409.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	182668
    "... he who knows most, knows best how little he knows." T.J.

This makes them law if...
    Yep, as I said in #2182 "if they exist", depends on where you live. It's not me saying screw the government at all. A lot of my toys could be taken from me if I didn't follow the law. That said I don't follow laws that effect other people and not me, that would be silly.

I might as well get rid of most of my toys and move to CA if I wanted to live under restrictions that are realities for others.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Here's my bench. It's in my living room by the way.

Name:	DSCF4411.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	182667

Name:	DSCF4409.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	182668
    Simple yet functional. I repurposed an old desk also.

Boolit Master

Loading bench pics

Before I saw the price tags I thought Morris was just showing off his personal inventory!

TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master

some pictures of my loading room

Please forgive the mess.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0169.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	184040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0175.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	184041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0173.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	184042Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0193.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	184043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0171.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	184046Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0180.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	184047 Now that I am retired I can cast , load, and shoot more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0181.jpg  
    Last edited by fivegunner; 01-01-2017 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Picture was on its side, could not turn it up

Boolit Master
    I don't see a mess either... I see 5 Dillons but only one single stage... Need more single stage presses....

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    NFPA guidelines are usually tied into building and fire code. For example Universal Building Code references NFPA guidelines. This makes them law if your municipality has adopted UBC. You need to know your local laws. Some are more restrictive than NFPA. You can't have a single 8# of powder in your residence in MD as it's above the allowed quantity.

This conversation always turns to people saying screw the government and they will do what they please. I don't know of an insurance claim being denied because someone had quantities greater than what the law allows. But I'm personally not willing to risk it.
    I am with Dragon on this. Too much to risk if there is a fire. I have over 150k primers and over 150 lbs of powder. I would not want that in the house even if it was permitted. I use a detached building for storage. Not difficult to build or one can buy a garden shed. Add insulation and a small heater to keep condensation down in the winter. Place it under a shade tree to reduce heat in the summer. The shed can serve as loading room as well if built large enough.

Don Verna

Boolit Master

Single stage press

Name:	DSCF0223.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	184096 here's 3 of the 4 RCBS JR`s , I also have 1 RCBS Rock chucker, a RCBS A2, and a C&H press . And one of those little LEE single press.

Quote Originally Posted by fivegunner View Post

Name:	DSCF0223.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	184096 here's 3 of the 4 RCBS JR`s , I also have 1 RCBS Rock chucker, a RCBS A2, and a C&H press . And one of those little LEE single press.
    Mount those on a lazy susan and you'd have a poor mans version of a turret! ...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Seriously, I have thought of building a lazy susan that resides over my load work space. It would be there to hold all the little lose hand tools that come into play over the course of working up a batch.

My space is an island in my load room and I have and can mount presses anywhere around it (360 degrees).

In the meantime I built a raised mini table that I place my mechanical scales on.

I even use an RCBS 304 on that elevated plane.

Three 44s

Page 110 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1060100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120 ... LastLast