Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 106 of 128 FirstFirst ... 65696979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 2545

Thread: Loading bench pics

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Looks like he used this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6224_200226224

Interestingly, even in their ad they show it being used as a reloading bench.

Since those legs and connectors are made from resin / plastic, does that mean that it is only useful when you need to reload for Glocks and other tuperware firearms?
    That is indeed the kit I used, with thick plywood shelves, top shelf is 2 thicknesses of said thick plywood. on top. And I do have an XD Subcompact mod.2 I'll be loading for

And yes, I did purchase it from Northern tool, shipped to my house, it is very strong and sturdy, loaded 20 rounds of 375 H&H on it this week, full length resizing and the thing didn't budge. I'm still planning to anchor it to the wall once I get it moved to its permanent location. On a side note, I also attached my lee bench prime and used it for the first time on said 375 brass, functioned flawlessly.

Boolit Man

That is a Very Nice Room to be able to Reload in. Thanks for sharing.

Here is a quick way to a bench. I bought this SS bench from Lowe's. I just built a 2x6 top to solidly mount the press on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0576.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	179596

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Estacado View Post
    Here is a quick way to a bench. I bought this SS bench from Lowe's. I just built a 2x6 top to solidly mount the press on.
    Once I saw the Dr. Pepper can, I was wondering if you were from Texas...

Howdy, neighbor...

Only in Texas can someone 600+ miles away be considered a "neighbor"...

Good eyes NavyVet1959. I spent nine years in that outfit. 806 area code.

Reloading Bench

This is my little piece of of the house.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102_0021.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	179682
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 102_0019.jpg  
    Last edited by Blackhawk357; 10-29-2016 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Casting bench in the garage

Just curious,
    what are those lightning arresters made out of?

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalAB View Post
    Here is my build.
    I feel like i cheated on mine a little bit. The frame is a battery rack I salvaged and the supports for the shelf are lightning arresters, also salvaged. They weigh around 50 to 60 pounds each I'd guess, was a pain getting them in place. Turned out exactly like I envisioned it though. This thing is solid, no movement whatsoever.
    The dry erase board is to write the charge that is in the powder thrower, got into a bad habit and decided to fix the problem it creates rather than fight the habit.
    Hope I motivated someone to be a creative repurposer like I was. Feel like it gives it character.

Nice!

Boolit Master

I couldn't tell of BrutalAB had responded(PM?) to the question about lightning arresters. I haven't seen any for many years, except on electrical poles, but the brown things you see are ceramic porcelain insulators. The irregular outer surface, called sheds, increase the creep distance and don't allow rain to create a direct path from one end to the other. Same principle is used on the big things you see sticking out of power transformers at a substation. IIRC, inside the porcelain are blocks of some kind of material that absorbs the initial shock of lightning striking any part of the circuit. The total length(the ones shown are fairly long) determines the capacity to absorb the shock.

Since I retired lots of advances have been made in materials. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that those parts are now molded out of silicon. It was being worked on before I retired. I wasn't a design engineer so I didn't always pick up the details and terminology.

I'll bet that Lloyd Smale could tell you all about them. I believe he was a lineman and would be very familiar.

An interesting story that I don't know if it is true is that brown used to be the universal color of electrical insulators. Lady Bird Johnson saw them on transformers and thought they were ugly and somehow influenced the industry to change over to gray. If you see brown today it is a sure sign that the equipment is very old.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I couldn't tell of BrutalAB had responded(PM?) to the question about lightning arresters. I haven't seen any for many years, except on electrical poles, but the brown things you see are ceramic porcelain insulators. The irregular outer surface, called sheds, increase the creep distance and don't allow rain to create a direct path from one end to the other. Same principle is used on the big things you see sticking out of power transformers at a substation. IIRC, inside the porcelain are blocks of some kind of material that absorbs the initial shock of lightning striking any part of the circuit. The total length(the ones shown are fairly long) determines the capacity to absorb the shock.

Since I retired lots of advances have been made in materials. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that those parts are now molded out of silicon. It was being worked on before I retired. I wasn't a design engineer so I didn't always pick up the details and terminology.

I'll bet that Lloyd Smale could tell you all about them. I believe he was a lineman and would be very familiar.

An interesting story that I don't know if it is true is that brown used to be the universal color of electrical insulators. Lady Bird Johnson saw them on transformers and thought they were ugly and somehow influenced the industry to change over to gray. If you see brown today it is a sure sign that the equipment is very old.
    Great insight sir! Thanks for that little tidbit of information. I work in the telecom industry, although all of our plant is buried, so I rarely get to work with any pole attachments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JavelinaBlanco View Post
    Just curious,
    what are those lightning arresters made out of?
    Alamogunr has it right, they are made of porcelain. I know very little about them other than that. And really only know that because of the warning I was given about their fragileness when I picked them up.
    I believe the metal ends might be zinc but not sure, a quick question and search turned out they weren't lead so I lost interest in their composition.
    Last edited by BrutalAB; 11-03-2016 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Fixed autocorrect.

Boolit Master

I don't know if anyone else has/had a problem with either spent or fresh primers accidently dropping to the floor only to take a 90 degree bounce and wind up under the bench? I enclosed the base around the bottom shelf that keeps everything in front of the bench and not under the bench.

I've noticed everything I drop seems to have to go under the bench. I am going to put something down there to keep that from happening.

Boolit Buddy
    I just added the L shaped portion. I still have other presses to mount. It's a work in progress.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7410.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	180094

Boolit Master
    Hello fellow shooters and hunters! I thought I would share my little Reloading Bench rebuilding/renovation project with you.

It all started two weeks ago when I had a friend over to do some reloading. We were working on some loads shooting a 425 grain (.460") flat nosed, soft alloy bullets for a couple 45-70's we love to shoot. ABSOLUTELY LOVE that caliber! While we were doing our case prep, he made an observation about the cosmetics of my reloading bench. He asked what had happened to the top area of the bench, where I usually sit and do my work.
    He knew I liked to keep things in tip/top shape, and it wasn't like me to let something like this go into such a condition.
    Some what puzzled, I sat back and had a good look at my bench. It was a comfortable, spacious, 4 foot wide, by 38" deep, with all my associated reloading equipment arranged in its spots. The front of the bench was worn through the finish and was scuffing up the wood. It looked trashy! I had used this bench for countless hours and for more than 27 years! I blissfuly was so comfortable with the bench, I hadn't spent the time to maintain it adequately.

I discussed this with my friend, and decided right then to make a bit of a change for the old bench. I was presently between jobs, and had some time on my hands to dedicate to the upgrade project.

I spent a few days thinking about what I wanted to do, and was a little undecided of the direction I wanted to take. One morning I awoke and couldn't go back to sleep. I tossed and turned, and just couldn't get back to sleep. As I layed there half awake, some ideas came to mind for my bench project. I got up, and went down to my shooting/reloading room and started to take some measurements. As I started measuring, more and more possibilities became possible. My room was so disorganized, it seemed horribly full and congested.

I wanted to have a much larger bench surface, so I can mount both the RCBS Press, and my Lyman Lube/sizer for cast bullets, and still maintain enough room to comfortably perform other tasks not related to shooting or reloading. I wanted the top surface to be a dark, grain rich, Red Oak. And I wanted no holes what so ever in the top surface other than the mounting holes for my presses.

So here is my bench rebuild through Some pictures. I will arrange the pictures in order of the construction phase to see my progress flow the stages.

Hope you like the pictures and enjoy the post!

In this picture, I was laminating two 3/4" thick pieces of 8' x 38" plywood. I laid out a good layer of glue, and pressed the two sheets together with clamps. I went underneath the old bench and pulled down the two new sheets of plywood to the old bench top by screwing them together. I used as long of a screw as I could without the screw coming out the top. I started in one corner and worked at an angle across the old bench under surface. The top two layers of ply wood sucked down really well as I screwed, and pulled the two plywood layers down, and together very tightly! As I got near the edges of the old bench, I could see extra glue seeping out from between the new plywood sheets. The glue had migrated evenly across the two contact surfaces very well! I continued drawing together the remainder of the under side of the new laminated plywood surface.

This picture shows the bench top after two coats of the stain/varathane combo. Between each coat I had to buff the entire surface with fine steel wool to ensure a solid bonding of each layer of varathane. I applied a "conditioner" to prep the wood for this project before any stain was applied. With waiting 24 hours between coats, my patience was tested! LOL! Patience is sometimes, not my strong point.

This picture shows the bench surface after three additional coates of clear varathane (6 coats from the start of the project). The Red Oak's grain is starting to darken and become much more vivid.

As one of the coates dried, I cut and fit some Oak Base board material. I stained the fitted boards with a more traditional yellow/amber hue, to contrast with the dark grain of the top surface. It seemed to Make the grain of the Oak visually "POP", so to speak. In this picture I held a sample of the base board material above the bench top to highlight the contrast of the grain colours. I was very pleased with the effect!

After about 9 coates of the clear varathane, I placed the bench into position in the room to sort of visualize how it would look. Note how in this picture, the surface of the bench is starting to mirror. I loved the effect! After more than a week of this varathane-buff the surface, varathane-buff-varathane, it was getting old! I hated to buff the nice clear shiny surface to a dull cloudy finish! But every time I laid a new coat, "POP"! The richness of colour, and the mirror effect got better!

here is a front view at that time

After coat 12 or 13 (it was becoming a friggin blur), I let the surface harden for two days, and then lifted the bench cabinet into place. NOW it was becoming a reality for me! It was all I could do to wait another two days before I started to place my shooting/reloading paraphernalia onto the bench and cabinet!

This is the bench after everything was in its place, with all the wiring connected and the room cleaned and reorganized. I hadn't mounted any of the presses yet. I wanted to wait another two days for the varathane to set harder yet. (I was maybe a little paranoid, but after this much time invested, I didn't want to have any setbacks).

A front view of the bench project

Boolit Master
    This is the balance of my pictures for my Bench construction project.

I in this picture, it show how I had to cut and fit the base board material for the presses. This is the lube/sizer after it was finished the installation

This is a couple of pictures after the RCBS Rock Chucker IV was installed.

And a little "atmosphere/wildlife scene" for the room was set up that day as well. LOL!

Hope you like these posts! they were very picture heavy, but I thought you might like to see it.

Take care and happy casting, reloading/hunting!

Beautiful!

Very impressive. Beautiful job.

Banned

Love this thread.

Boolit Master
    Stunning setup ,wow.

Page 106 of 128 FirstFirst ... 65696979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116 ... LastLast