RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 99 of 128 FirstFirst ... 498990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 2555

Thread: Loading bench pics

So I got a old reloading bench for free dollars today.

Turning it into my smelting bench.

I'm just starting to get my loading bench set back up since we've moved and I added bullet storage on top of the bench. All my other assorted junk is off to the right out of sight for these pics.

1895gunner
    http://1895gunner.com/
    Reloading | Shooting | Hunting

Sweet set up! Wish I had it. I definitely will find some bins. I'm using old powder bottles for my bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Are you freaking kidding me?!!! Last time my bench was that clean and organized was just after moving it into the house and before I got everything mounted! I think I can see the wood top in a place or two now if I look hard enough.

1895gunner…I saw those same plastic tip out bins at Lowes but they were filled with plumbing fittings and they wouldn't sell them to me…dang it.
    Where did you get them? I have to eat a lot-O-jelly beans to get my storage containers.

OS OK
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    1895gunner…I saw those same plastic tip out bins at Lowes but they were filled with plumbing fittings and they wouldn't sell them to me…dang it.
    Where did you get them? I have to eat a lot-O-jelly beans to get my storage containers.

OS OK
    I bought the bins on Amazon, item description: Quantum QTB305 Clear 5-1/4-Inch by 23-5/8-Inch by 6-1/2-Inch Tip Out Bin System, White and built a wood shelf around them. they work great for what I needed.

Thanks,

1895gunner

Boolit Master

I try to stay away from those clear plastic containers because many of them are made from polystyrene which is brittle. Not all of the clear plastics are that way, but it's difficult to determine the actual plastic used just from an ad on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    I try to stay away from those clear plastic containers because many of them are made from polystyrene which is brittle. Not all of the clear plastics are that way, but it's difficult to determine the actual plastic used just from an ad on the web.
    Yepper, I know what you mean. It's early however I like them so far - hope they last!

1895gunner

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1895gunner View Post
    Yepper, I know what you mean. It's early however I like them so far - hope they last!
    Not all clear plastics are like that, but I'm not good enough at telling the types of plastic apart to be willing to risk making that mistake again. Usually though, it seems that if they are crystal clear, they're probably polystyrene and if they have a slightly milky tint to them, they're probably more flexible (durable). The most durable and cheap plastic container that I've found is probably the plastic that they use for the 55g drums (polyethylene, I believe). We would cut smaller containers in half and use to feed the horses. The horses would come up and stomp on them and kick them when they wanted you to feed them again. Those things survived a LOT of abuse. Had the chain the halves to fence posts to keep them from getting kicked across the pasture.

I tend to make my bins out of 6" cedar fence boards. I've even made some out of boards from an old fence that was blown down. Pressure washed them to remove the weathering from them and then "sanded" them against the concrete driveway to smooth the surfaces a bit. Even with no fancy joinery (i.e. just butt joints using wood glue and small nails), they end up being pretty sturdy.

This is what it looks like (shape-wise) if you make it with the 5 boards being all the same length. If you make it any larger, it starts getting a bit heavy when full of bullets.

One of these days, I'm going to get around to making a finger joint jig for my table saw and build these same boxes with finger joints.

Nice box there Navy. I would use a dovetail jig with a router. That would really lock it together. Using titebond would make it virtually indestructable. I use Akro bins. The local Walmart has started carrying various sizes for not a bad price

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    Nice box there Navy. I would use a dovetail jig with a router. That would really lock it together. Using titebond would make it virtually indestructable. I use Akro bins. The local Walmart has started carrying various sizes for not a bad price
    My old router passed away a couple of years ago and I just do not have the heart to get a new one.

It was so old that it actually had a full metal body. Something you don't see these days due to electrical shock concerns. Never bought a dovetail jig, so never got into doing dovetail joints. They sure look nice though. I originally created these boxes with reclaimed fence boards after a hurricane came through. I used them for storing nails, screws, bolts, etc in my garage. Decided to try them for bullet storage and they worked great even for that weight.

I made some about twice as long also and tried using them for ingots. They are strong enough, but too heavy when full of lead to easily move to the casting area.

Just used regular yellow wood glue (Loctite WoodWorx) and 1-3/8" 4d nails. Went for the "rustic look". (I.e. quick and lazy)
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 04-10-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Hi guys, only new here at cast boolits, thought I would share.

Took these pics when the loading bench was clean, it is rarely in this condition. I also have a second press and a lube sizer which aren't set up in these photos.

Cheers,
    Bob
    I work so that I can live, not live so that I can work

Never seen a black press before. Is that an old one you restored and painted black?

Boolit Mold
    Never seen a black press before. Is that an old one you restored and painted black?

No mate, it just looks black in the photo, it is more hammertone grey. Lyman Crusher II.
    I work so that I can live, not live so that I can work

Quote Originally Posted by Bob65 View Post
    No mate, it just looks black in the photo, it is more hammertone grey. Lyman Crusher II.
    OK. Thanks.

Boolit Master

CH4d presses are painted black from the factory.

Never seen one and they looked dark grey in the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Not all clear plastics are like that, but I'm not good enough at telling the types of plastic apart to be willing to risk making that mistake again. Usually though, it seems that if they are crystal clear, they're probably polystyrene and if they have a slightly milky tint to them, they're probably more flexible (durable). The most durable and cheap plastic container that I've found is probably the plastic that they use for the 55g drums (polyethylene, I believe). We would cut smaller containers in half and use to feed the horses. The horses would come up and stomp on them and kick them when they wanted you to feed them again. Those things survived a LOT of abuse. Had the chain the halves to fence posts to keep them from getting kicked across the pasture.

I tend to make my bins out of 6" cedar fence boards. I've even made some out of boards from an old fence that was blown down. Pressure washed them to remove the weathering from them and then "sanded" them against the concrete driveway to smooth the surfaces a bit. Even with no fancy joinery (i.e. just butt joints using wood glue and small nails), they end up being pretty sturdy.

This is what it looks like (shape-wise) if you make it with the 5 boards being all the same length. If you make it any larger, it starts getting a bit heavy when full of bullets.

One of these days, I'm going to get around to making a finger joint jig for my table saw and build these same boxes with finger joints.
    Finger joints are fairly easy to do especially if you use a dado blade and match board thickness with finger joint size, they'll look great.

charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bob65 View Post
    Welcome Bob. I suppose you have to keep those drapes shut all the time with the gun laws y'all have there? This is the pic we yanks use as an argument as to what could happen here if we're not careful. I believe this was in Sydney in the late 90's? Port Arthur Masacre? Sad. Have the laws eased up or changed since then? North Carolina is the opposite swing of the pendulim for gun laws. EVERYTHING is legal here (with correct permits of course) bb guns to full auto, 100 capacity magazines and suppressors. Greatest state in the union!! Sorry Texans.......... wanna fight about it?

Attachment 165969

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ncbearman View Post
    EVERYTHING is legal here (with correct permits of course) bb guns to full auto, 100 capacity magazines and suppressors. Greatest state in the union!! Sorry Texans.......... wanna fight about it?
    If a claim to a state's greatness is freedom from gun restrictions, North Carolina would not be the greatest. Don't you have to receive permission from the sheriff in the form of a permit prior to just purchasing a handgun? Most states you can just walk into a gun store and walk out with your handgun that day. Then there are states that allow concealed carry without any permit (Alaska, Vermont and Arizona). You cannot do that in NC. I'm sure it's a very nice state though.

Page 99 of 128 FirstFirst ... 498990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109 ... LastLast