MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harvey Deprimer

Harvey Deprimer

Anybody have experience with the Harvey Deprimer? If so what are your opinions about the gizmo.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

My brother has been using one for a few months now. He loves it. Even his 12 year old son can deprime brass while stting on the couch watching TV or visiting with the family. Easy to use. A little spendy, but it allows you to deprime almost anything, anywhere, without changing equipment.

Boolit Master

I wonder how it works w/ crimped primers in military brass?
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

Looks like it is pretty tough if it can punch through a dime.

Boolit Master

But was that done by The Hulk, or can a normal person do it w/o having to pound the handle w/ Thor's hammer? Can you tell I like Marvel movies?
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

In Remembrance
    Just by the tittle I thought someone had the next door neighbor named HARVEY depriming brass. Guess I'll have to do a search on that, I never heard of it before.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master
    Whether it was hulk or not that is one tough decapping pin!!

Boolit Master

My 12 year old nephew managed to bend the decap pin trying to deprime a berdan primed case... oops... Harvey replaced it free.

Good stuff. Web search "Harvey deprimer"

I have done all of my depriming on Wilson base and punch sets for many years. The Harvey looks like a better way to deprime off the press. I will just have to quit being so cheap and order one. I gave up depriming and priming with the press many years ago. I do it all by hand. As you can guess, I am not into progressive presses.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I know this is an old post but I have one of these and it will punch out the primers on .223 Crimped Military brass with little to no effort. You have to get the pin into the hole in the primer and it will remove the primer by squeezing between my thumb and one finger. The primer pops right out in your other hand or the trash if you point it that way. I use if for the initial prep on Military brass. I inspect each case and discard those with mangled rims or other problems that cause weapon malfunctions. It's not super fast but It works for me during my initial inspection of Military brass. I used to de-prime Military brass with an arbor press and wilson punch because I got sick of replacing pins in de-capping dies. I have done about 3000 rounds so far and not a hiccup.

It works as advertised and requires very little effort on the users part. It is solid aluminum and built to last. I would recommend this tool if you mess with crimped Military brass.
    “Work hard! Millions on welfare depend on it!”

Boolit Master

Just looked at it on the website...

How does the case align with the pin to push the primer out?...

Thank...BCB

Unless the tip of the pin is inside the primer cup it won't close. You have to do about twenty or thirty cases and it becomes easy. I have managed to get it not right on a few cases and you can tell right away because it requires force past normal in the same way you get feedback from your press. In other words something does not feel right so stop.

The pin will fit into a 204 case and will also do my 45LC cases as well. In each situation you must get the pin or tip of the pin inside the primer cup.

I get buckets of mixed brass from a range I just deprime it all with no press or dies. I'll get .380 up to 300 win mag all in the same bucket and I deprime it all as I sort it. Not the fastest but I don't own a 357 sig, 300 win mag, or a bunch of others I run across and this tool does everything I have come across so far.

This is a mess that comes from the range so a one size does all de-primer is nice to own. It even does the steel lacquer covered Russian garbage. I don't reload it but I had to see!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BF4CAF9A-C730-406F-BDF5-D3D62A2AA184-128-00000005830BBBB5.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	55459

Boolit Master

I am another happy owner of a Harvey Deprimer. I now deprime as I shoot in my backyard. It slows me down a bit and keeps my reloading area a little cleaner.

Boolit Grand Master

Did anyone notice this thread is about a year and a half old?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Did anyone notice this thread is about a year and a half old?
    Sure. But the product is still being made and people still search for it. What's the problem with it being old?

Boolit Master

Wow. Year and a half later and I still don't own one. I just can't decide why I need to use something other than the RockChucker ?? Hmmmmmm.
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Bub
    Harvey works great for me, I can sort, inspect and deprime a bucket of random brass in my easy chair. Not a problem on Mil crimps either. They go from the harvey to SS cleaning, keeps the press clean.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Sure. But the product is still being made and people still search for it. What's the problem with it being old?
    Normally a thread will "go to sleep" in a few weeks when form members lose interest. Very few get resurrected. Obviously no one around here was thinking about a Harvey deprimer. Did my comment offend you?..
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Normally a thread will "go to sleep" in a few weeks when form members lose interest. Very few get resurrected. Obviously no one around here was thinking about a Harvey deprimer. Did my comment offend you?..
    I got you thinking about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast