Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Hard To Eject Casings A Sign Of Too High A Pressure?

Boolit Buddy

Are Hard To Eject Casings A Sign Of Too High A Pressure?

Today I loaded up some new to me .357Mag. bullets in 5 powder stages from lowest grain recommended to highest grain recommended. About 2 minutes cooling between shooting sessions. There were 6 bullets in each batch and when I finally shot the last 6 at the highest grain recommended the fired casings were stuck in the cylinder and almost impossible to get out. Once they cooled they did finally manually eject but were still a bit stubborn. All loads slipped into the cylinder very easily before being ignited. Is the extreme expansion of the brass an indication of too high pressures and should I not use this amount in the future? The formula for the over expanded casings was.....
    Dan Wesson .357 Magnum (1974)
    Winchester .357 Casings (New)
    Winchester WSPM Primers
    H-110 at 16.7 grains
    Missouri Bullet Company .38 Match/.358 Diameter/158 Grain/LSWC/Brinell 12

I am still waiting on the replacement chronograph I accidentally shot last week so I do not know the fps though the Hodgdon chart shows 1591fps.
    I would like to experiment with this higher load unless someone indicates the over expanded casings are a no go.

I cleaned the pistol afterwards and there was abosolutely no leading in the barrel
    Thanks...

Boolit Grand Master

Yes. If you are having trouble extracting cases from your reloads and factory ammo does
    not do it, you are too hot and need to reduce the pressure. Remember, each gun is a
    thing unto itself. You start low at the recommended starting load and gradually increase
    the powder charge, as long as nothing unusual happens. Hard extraction is unusual and
    a sign that you need to back off. Personally, I use 16.3 H110 in several .357s, but just
    because that works in my guns does NOT mean it is safe in yours.

Definitely, you are PAST safe and not only should not go higher, but you need to go lower.

Have you got several loading manuals and have you read the front of them?

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy Carolina Cast Bullets's Avatar
    Stiff extraction is one indicator of too high pressure. Look at the primers as well. The primer should not be flattened out on its edges and the firing pin indent
    should be a dimple with no "flow"

Any of these by itself is an indication that pressures are too high. If any of them occur in conjunction, its time to back off.

If it were me, I'd not load that again. I'd back off at least 1/2 a grain from that upper load.

Keep in mind, its a pistol, not an elephant gun. Tis better to slack off and keep your gun and your hands than remove either from reality.

My $.02

Jerry
    Carolina Cast Bullets
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional ! ! !

Now what do you think maybe to much pressure this is basic reloading 101 (stuck case hi pressure)

First off you picked a powder that builds up high pressure two i'm sure you only looked for max FPS but what you did not check Hodgdon book list 16.7grs with a Hornady 158gr jacked XTP bullet not a LSWC hodgdon does not even have a load for H-110 with a 158gr LSWC.

Also I see your using a Mag primer that will also push your pressure north if I was you I would back off and try little gun powder CUP is 15,000 less then H-110.

Most of the time yes, but not always. Some cyl can be rough or have rough spots & even moderat pressure cause sticking. So look at other things like case head marking & flattened primers. If you have all three, then you certainly are running the ragged edge.

The pressure might not be too high for the steel of the gun but it is too high for the brass - it is sticking after all. It could also be too high for the steel. As stated by others, the other signs would indicate if that is so.

I have had sticking case on loads that showed little pressure on the primer while a different powder showed much higher pressure but did not stick. The cause seems to be pressure build up in the neck of the case. Point being that thetre are pressure waves in a case upon firing that can cause damaging pressure while not showing it at the case head or on the primer.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Banned

based on your description, I would say YES it is too high a pressure and would back off.

16.5 sticks in my guns once in a while due to the mixed brass I use so i dropped to 16.0 you should to.

UtopiaTexasG19
    It sounds like you are interested in maximizing the performance of you gun. Might I suggest you have a look at Lil'Gun? For the same velocity you get coser to half the pressure. A lot less pressure anyway.

Here is an excerpt from Hodgdon's on-line loading data;

158 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon H110 .357" 1.580" 16.7 gr 1591 fps 40,700 CUP

158 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon Lil'Gun .357" 1.580" 18.0 gr 1577 fps 25,800 CUP

Check it out for yourself under 357 Magnum pistol.
    http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Not suggesting you should do it but it can be compressed quite a bit.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 08-04-2011 at 01:10 AM.

Hey 303Guy, a little OT, however, what is little gun powder know as down our way?

I have heard it is AP100, not confirmed though. Can you please let me know what ADI powder is little gun?

Mike

I fear that Lil'Gun is not made by ADI and hense there is no equivalent - pity. It is available over here in NZ so I should imagine it is on your side of the ditch too. Fantastic powder! Its one of those powders I want to find a use for. Magic in the hornet. I'm betting its magic in the 357 too.

I got a Dan Wesson SS 44 mag does this after about 15 rounds fired at normal pressure. Every shot after 15 have tight extractions. I have heard this is a familure problem on Dan Wesson revolvers.

Lil' Gun in my larger calibers heats up the barrel in my revolvers and rifle immensely. One shot in my Puma 92 is almost too hot to touch. Others report like experiences but have not heard any reports +/- in the 357. I don't trust it. 4#'s on hand and will not replenish. Hear nothing but good when used in the 22 Hornet tho. YMMV
    Last edited by odoh; 08-04-2011 at 01:48 AM.

Boolit Master
    It might be that the cylinder is a little dirty or sooty especially if you have been shooting 38 spl's in it. Also your reloads might no be as slick as the new factory brass.

I started having trouble with my gp100 sticking brass in the cylinders sometimes. It was not bad but annoying at least. I polished the cylinder with steel wool and hoppes and no more sticky brass.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by odoh View Post
    Lil' Gun in my larger calibers heats up the barrel in my revolvers and rifle immensely. One shot in my Puma 92 is almost too hot to touch. Others report like experiences but have not heard any reports +/- in the 357. YMMV
    I too was about to try lil'gun till I read several reports suggesting that it might be a little hard on equipment so I decided that H110 was still just fine
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

""158 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon Lil'Gun .357" 1.580" 18.0 gr 1577 fps 25,800 CUP""

WOW that has to be a typo, presure is what gets them going if this is right thats magic

under 44 mag the presure is higher than h110/296 that 28,000 has to be typo.

Boolit Buddy
    I was loading .38 Specials at the same time as loading the .357's and might have mixed up my figures for HP-38 and the H110. I'll have to look back at some hand written notes and what I transferred to my computer. From now on I'll just re-load one type of bullet at a time. Thanks...

Boolit Buddy
    One powder and load on the bench at a time = Good Job!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pistolman44 View Post
    I got a Dan Wesson SS 44 mag does this after about 15 rounds fired at normal pressure. Every shot after 15 have tight extractions. I have heard this is a familure problem on Dan Wesson revolvers.
    Not my experience with my 7445 SuperMag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast