MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Lyman Casting Books 3rd. & 4th. editions...

Boolit Buddy

Lyman Casting Books 3rd. & 4th. editions...

I have read some complaints that the 4th. edition of the Lyman Casting Book does not have the amount of information that the 3rd. edition contains, yet there are newer powders made now that are probably not listed in the 3rd. edition. For re-loaders that do not work with unusual calibres/loads does anyone recommend getting a copy of third edition if it can still be found?

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    All the Lyman books are good, but not a single one answers every question, and that goes for every other publication as well. My favorite Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is the 1st Edition. It is obsolete in many ways, but so am I. 1st & 2nd editions were not numbered as such and sometimes can be over looked. I prefer the format and lay out of the older books.

There is a seller on epay offering new in wrap 3rd editions for $21 delivered ($16 + $5 ship). He has 16 left, amazingly. I bought 1 a few weeks back, he delivers.

SlimTim

Boolit Grand Master
    I would get a 3rd edition if you can. Not all powders that were listed in the 3rd are in the 4th for some cartridges. This is why it pays to hold on to all old manuals.

Moderator Emeritus
    It is not an either or, they are products of different times and environments and as such are complementary.

I have all four editions, plus a host of other printed reference material and find them all useful.They help give an insight to the evolution of our passion and as such help us better understand where we are today as that is a product of yesterday.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Grand Master

I also have all four editions and concur with dromia.

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master

I have both. I was able to reload for several years with the info/data in the 3rd Edition, and I think it's a bit better for the beginner. Articles/chapters are varied and easy to read and informative. The 4th edition does have a few newer powder listings (but for me only one, TrueBlue in .44 mag. is of any use) and a few bullets not from Lyman molds. It seems to me that Mr. Vintureno's (4th Edition Editor) many articles/chapters leans heavily toward black powder competitions and casting for black powder cartridge guns and the metallurgy chapter is waaaay over my head; Phd stuff.

Hey, jes my $.02...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

In Remebrance

I have the first 3 editions and love the 1st most. The 3rd is excellent too. Also have the RCBS book and dozens of others. They all offer information of value, there is no one "best". And, since I'm still working off a powder supply gathered in the late 70's, the new books often don't have the info I need. Get them all, read them all, learn.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

books

I just wanted to give Dromia a big +1 on his post. It is 100% correct and not only applies to loading books but any books that have editions. I have my Speer #1 manual along with the ones that folowed. My first Lyman is 41, I think. If you have a can of Dupont PB and wish to use it, I have a printed loading.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet