Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Review of 22LR to 224 Kaine Dies by DanR

Boolit Buddy

not the best idea because you'll dull out the tubing cutter real fast that way.
    also the cutter blade maybe just a little harder than the punch, so it could score the punch enough to where it changes the shape of it and or weakens it.

but, heck, they are only $10, when you need another one, let me know!

i've used a steel drill rod as a mandril, attached one end to my electric drill, then went at it with a tubing cutter. for $10, you can get a long drill rod to make 5 or 10 mandrills.

dan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NSP64 View Post
    62 gr bullets.
    Rifle has a rough spot in the barrel where the gas port was drilled. May have been cutting the jackets. I have a bunch of fmjs to shoot down it to smooth it up some. It only has 20 rounds through it.
    ya i would smooth it up some my AR15 1-8 twist win i got it Had the same thing and bluets i found Had big cuts in them form it this will cut a 22jackit and let it tumble

Boolit Master
    Cut a couple of .17 cal cases, used a home made mandrel and derimed, smashed my lead wire into them and formed a point on them.
    This may be the thing to do all the time. The case had less springback. Point forming they came out at .227(instead of .228 that I was getting with LR cases). So I used the sizing/derim die and they came out .222. Switched over to my lee push through sizer and got .2235.
    I will shoot some this weekend to see if they get cut.

Quote Originally Posted by danr View Post
    not the best idea because you'll dull out the tubing cutter real fast that way.
    also the cutter blade maybe just a little harder than the punch, so it could score the punch enough to where it changes the shape of it and or weakens it.

but, heck, they are only $10, when you need another one, let me know!

i've used a steel drill rod as a mandril, attached one end to my electric drill, then went at it with a tubing cutter. for $10, you can get a long drill rod to make 5 or 10 mandrills.

dan
    I thought I was being very careful, and I figured the only thing at risk was the cutting wheel.
    I figured that if I dulled the cutting wheel enough I could use it to put cannelures on bullets.
    I looked at the punch, and sure enough there are some fine lines. I worked it over good with steel wool and it seems to be better than new.
    I looked at some 5.6mm drill bits yesterday and decided that I didn't need them. I'll pick some up next trip.
    GP

Look into making a jacket trimmer, it's way quicker.
    http://www.corbins.com/et-1.htm

You could probably just make a tapered punch that could be used with the core seating die if it has a sharp edge.

Quote Originally Posted by kombayotch View Post
    Look into making a jacket trimmer, it's way quicker.
    http://www.corbins.com/et-1.htm

You could probably just make a tapered punch that could be used with the core seating die if it has a sharp edge.
    Nothing quick about using the tubing cutter, But I'm still experimenting, and quick is not needed; Yet.

Boolit Buddy

an update from Echo4Wiskey from ammosmith who purchased a set of dies from me.
    i thought i would share this with everyone here.

[quote author=echo4Wiskey link=topic=5344.msg50569#msg50569 date=1313727592]
    Just an update on .224 went out and shot the 30 or so rounds that i had made up used a ar-15 20 inch bb with scope 100 yrds i was getting 3/4 inch groups with the 62 g rounds i made up.55 g 1 broke up in flight others ok still with in the 3/4 in mark. 55g i was worried about with not having lead all the way to the end of the jacket with 22lr jackets so got what i expectd but i have made some up with tubing I think they should do better. if not ill find something to put in as a point to keep it from happing again.I am pretty much happy as can be with them. i bought a core mold to make the process faster so ill update again later. Great job danr. :biggrin:
    [/quote]

Boolit Master
    Got my chop saw from HF today. Got a sonic cleaner the other day. Will be loading and shooting this weekend.
    danr , what was the twist rate and velocity was ammosmith using?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by NSP64 View Post
    Got my chop saw from HF today. Got a sonic cleaner the other day. Will be loading and shooting this weekend.
    danr , what was the twist rate and velocity was ammosmith using?
    not sure.. i can ask.. i'm assuming a 1:8.. but i could be wrong.

Boolit Mold

Twist rate

I was using a 1/8 twist in a 20 inch bull barl.. DPMS made for the test on the rounds made up. They shot well glad to see 3/4 groups right where i placed the cross hairs. Dan thanx again and still need the black punch but wife has put a hold on my spending lol cant blame her 2000 worth in reloading in the past two months so i am reloading a bunch and will make some cores so i can swage some too. oh a do it fienesse drop wieght mold has 8 sizes and 4 of them will work to make cores for .224 2 can be used for .243 6mm and 7 mm cores and so on yes the last 2 cor will have to be cut to wieght for the .224 but it is alot better than smushing shot or .22 pellets for the cores. I have not shot the .22lr rounds through a 1/7 twist but knowing it i think they would come apart twist is to much for a bullet that is .765 in length unless you load it way soft. and an ar platform is not made for that you will clog the gas tube up and they are a pain to clean out.but the tube swaged i will loaded 3 up for test and they shot great out of the 1/7 twist and i used lee manual charge start weight for it. 300 yards and i was hitting a 9 inch plate using iron sights.

Hope this helps some on what I got

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by echo4wiskey View Post
    I was using a 1/8 twist in a 20 inch bull barl.. DPMS made for the test on the rounds made up. They shot well glad to see 3/4 groups right where i placed the cross hairs. Dan thanx again and still need the black punch but wife has put a hold on my spending lol cant blame her 2000 worth in reloading in the past two months so i am reloading a bunch and will make some cores so i can swage some too. oh a do it fienesse drop wieght mold has 8 sizes and 4 of them will work to make cores for .224 2 can be used for .243 6mm and 7 mm cores and so on yes the last 2 cor will have to be cut to wieght for the .224 but it is alot better than smushing shot or .22 pellets for the cores. I have not shot the .22lr rounds through a 1/7 twist but knowing it i think they would come apart twist is to much for a bullet that is .765 in length unless you load it way soft. and an ar platform is not made for that you will clog the gas tube up and they are a pain to clean out.but the tube swaged i will loaded 3 up for test and they shot great out of the 1/7 twist and i used lee manual charge start weight for it. 300 yards and i was hitting a 9 inch plate using iron sights.

Hope this helps some on what I got
    thanks a bunch echo4wiskey!
    great to hear they are working out well for you..

if you put your old black punch in the mail to me, i'll ship you another right away for free bud.

thanks,
    Dan

Boolit Master
    It states in an earlier thread that echo4whiskey was shooting his bullets on AMMOSMITH.COM.

I Hanve been very pleased with my die set.

I got out last weekend and shot 300 rounds of cheap tula ammo through my problem gun.
    I then shot some bullets I had made from 22 mag cases. They shot fine at 2500 fps.
    I also shot some made from 22lr cases, at 2600 dos. They also shot good. No bullets comming apart in flight. When I got home and cleaned the barrel, there was mo rough spot in it anymore.

Boolit Master
    I've yet to actually make a run of these.. I had a bit of a goof up out of the gate that was graciously corrected by danr.. just haven't had the time to get back to making much of anything.. or even practicing for the USPSA nationals in Vegas in a few weeks.. when I get some time..

Lets recap here. The de-rim die works as described and if you follow instructions you will likely have few if any issues with it. There are many other ways to de-rim available from many other sources. So far I have yet to see any particular De-rim set up that is so superior to another that I would be able to recommend one above any other.

The Core swage die works as described as long as you don't do what I did and screw it into a press that covers up the bleed hole. Dan corrected me on this one and after correcting my set up I found that his die performed as well as any other die I use for this process. My personal preference for a slightly smaller core is not a reflection of how well dan's die works.

The Core seat die functions exactly as designed and I had to get over a brain bubble to see that it was me and not the die that was the problem. In use the core seat die works as required for this particular set up.

The Point form die creates an over size bullet. It was designed to do so. If you want a bullet that is pointed and measures at .224 in the same step, do not buy this die. The Meplat is generous. if you are making lighter hollowpoints you may find that you would prefer a smaller opening. Bullets at 60 grains and heavier will likely have a lead tip. This die set and most others will benefit from a point form die if you want beautiful lead points. If you are comfortable with the concept of resizing the pointed bullet to get a shootable product you will be able to do so with this die set.

The price of the whole set is very competitive with anything else out there currently for sale. In my experience you will get exactly what is being described and offered with this die set. It is not a perfect product in my opinion because of the extra steps involved in getting the bullet to a shootable size, but I was not in any way mislead or decieved about what I was getting. I have sets that do produce shootable bullets without resizing, and they were much more expensive and much harder to obtain. I also have die sets that have now worn to the point that the bullets were oversized. I can now use those dies and Dan's dies and my Lee dies to make proper sized bullets.

Bottom line, when the powers-on-high outlaw the sale and transportation of bullets and primers and powder, I will be able to shoot for a long time after that. Dan's dies will be part of that process.

My review of most of the non-positive critiques here showed me that the only dissatisfaction was that Dan did not produce a product that met the author's expectation. Dan's development thread showed a very well documented progression from a conical concept and prototype to an ogive with more widespread appeal. This has been an evolutionary process. I am sure we can all appreciate the effort that must have taken.
    Last edited by MightyThor; 08-26-2011 at 12:13 PM.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Boolit Buddy

I had my first de-rimming session last night and all went smooth as long as lubed all rims went through as easy as full length sizing, with the exception of federal cases some of them I thought I was going to break the arm on my press and some were not as bad but still took alot more pressure to get through.
    Anyone else run across this?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by newcastter View Post
    I had my first de-rimming session last night and all went smooth as long as lubed all rims went through as easy as full length sizing, with the exception of federal cases some of them I thought I was going to break the arm on my press and some were not as bad but still took alot more pressure to get through.
    Anyone else run across this?
    federal cases can be a pain to de-rimm.. i've found that if you move the die a little higher in the press, it does help to reduce the amount of handle pressure that is needed.

if the die is to low in the press, it can cause you to use much force on the handle.

also, CCI's tend to need allot of force.

dan

Boolit Buddy

I thought even the CCI's went through nice just the federals gave me resistance

Boolit Master
    You really want all of the force coming from the very bottom of the down stroke on your press handle. If you move the die a bit down so that the case and de rim die meat sooner you can have a pain trying to push it through.

When I was first doing the de rim process with Corbin dies I could literally have my buddies 60 l kid hang on the arm and it wouldn't move at all. I then put the die further up and it works like a charm.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by newcastter View Post
    I thought even the CCI's went through nice just the federals gave me resistance
    i have a hard time geting federals soft thay seem to be a bit thicker too mabe its just the kind of brass thay are.
    i have found some 22lr brass thats not comon it will crack win derimming i have not been able to fine who makes it thers no stamp at all on them
    so if you fine some with no head stamp
    i would not use them

Boolit Master
    I noticed that the federal and cci brass were harder to deal with.. as are the Super-X winnies.. I'm nervous about the remmies, they seem to come apart really easy.. we'll see..

I may actually have sometime to play this evening.. gotta pickle my brass and then get to the next part.. the question I have currently is do I want to go into my 85 degree garage and work up a sweat... decisions, decisions..

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast