Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Review of 22LR to 224 Kaine Dies by DanR

Boolit Master
    Looks to me as though he is using the top press just as an ejecting system. Odd looking but I bet it works.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Shooter View Post
    Looks to me as though he is using the top press just as an ejecting system. Odd looking but I bet it works.
    if you look close, you'll see the die is upside down and the ejector punch is pointing downward.

Boolit Master
    Oh. Well he ought to just flip it over and have the top doing the ejecting.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Shooter View Post
    Oh. Well he ought to just flip it over and have the top doing the ejecting.
    maybe its just the way he had it when he took the pic..

i think he'll be online little later today.

dan

Banned
    lol i did tri to swage this way it work but not to good i was testing lol
    i ment to post the outher pic that hade it the right way lol
    Last edited by xfoxofshogo; 08-15-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Banned
    here a pic of it all modding done the handle did not have much of a cam to it so i built a new one and its out of the way and i cut off part of the other bit of handle that did not let me just screw it on its alto beater now

and i can still use it as a press win i put the other handle back on

Bought a Lee sizing die and ran some of my .229 bullets through it rather than through Dan's die. Bullets came out at .224.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Quote Originally Posted by ibgp3 View Post
    Looks like the other way around to me Thor, hand press to replace the hammer.

Ooops, Thor's right.

Huh???
    Thor does not approve of replacing the hammer, but in this case, since I was right, do I get a free pointing die?
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MightyThor View Post
    Bought a Lee sizing die and ran some of my .229 bullets through it rather than through Dan's die. Bullets came out at .224.
    that is suprising. but if it works.. i say go for it.

usualy, the bullets have a .001 spring back. i have a lee .224 sizing die, and they always tend to come out at .225, this could be due to the alloy of lead i'm using.
    so be aware, it could change depending on the lead batch you use..

i also have lee custom .223, .222, and .221 sizing dies.

always spot check the bullet size as if it was a load.

dan

Boolit Master
    Got to the range sunday.. load was H 4895 24.0 gr in.wcc 09 millitry brass. Tula sr primers. Mixed HS lr cases. Soft point style using smashed pure lead wire.
    Results:
    2652 fps from 16" S&W mp15. 1/8 twist. Cloverleaf @ 50 yrds.
    2615 fps from 16" , 1/7 twist . Bullets came apart in flight. Never hit 50 yrd target. Did hit target @ 25 yrds. Tore ragged hole in paper size of a quarter. Dont know if it was the gun or just pushed too fast.
    All in all , a good time.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by NSP64 View Post
    Got to the range sunday.. load was H 4895 24.0 gr in.wcc 09 millitry brass. Tula sr primers. Mixed HS lr cases. Soft point style using smashed pure lead wire.
    Results:
    2652 fps from 16" S&W mp15. 1/8 twist. Cloverleaf @ 50 yrds.
    2615 fps from 16" , 1/7 twist . Bullets came apart in flight. Never hit 50 yrd target. Did hit target @ 25 yrds. Tore ragged hole in paper size of a quarter. Dont know if it was the gun or just pushed too fast.
    All in all , a good time.
    1/7 failed to stablize the bullet.. thats interesting.

what weight bullet did you shoot?

thanks,
    dan

Boolit Master
    62 gr bullets.
    Rifle has a rough spot in the barrel where the gas port was drilled. May have been cutting the jackets. I have a bunch of fmjs to shoot down it to smooth it up some. It only has 20 rounds through it.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by NSP64 View Post
    62 gr bullets.
    Rifle has a rough spot in the barrel where the gas port was drilled. May have been cutting the jackets. I have a bunch of fmjs to shoot down it to smooth it up some. It only has 20 rounds through it.
    that is possible. if it contenues to do that, you could try the copper tubing rounds and see if they do it. due to the thicker jacket, the copper tubing bullets may not come apart.

dan

Boolit Master
    I am going to get a chop saw and try some 22 mag jackets to see.

Boolit Master
    Could be the 1/7 twist or bore not as smooth or both. Probably the bore though. If the rough spot is big enough that you notice it, the bullet definately will and the jacket on these bullets are not very thick.

Boolit Bub
    I would be interested in results from a 1/7 twist, as I also have one. Would like to know if the bullets will "over-stabilize" (spin too fast) and come apart due to faster twist. Thanks

Boolit Master
    I saw nothing like this with 55 HP's in a 1:8. I would assume if you are shooting 62 it would be fine.

​Mentor

Boolit Buddy

It certainly is true that a bullet can be spun faster than necessary to stabilize it and that can result in somewhat reduced accuracy. On the other hand, it's the jacket thickness and it's adhesion to the core that determines whether this rate of twist (really the speed at which the bullet is spun) will cause the bullets to shed their jacket. Of course there are other factors like rough bores. Still, I don't think the OP was in any way overboard at those low velocities. The fast twist may mean that the thin jacketed bullets have to be shot *really* slow, though.

If jackets are a certain thickness and being shot in a 1 in7 twist barrel that causes them to shed, then all other things being equal a heavier bullet won't change that, unless that heavier bullet is shot at a lower velocity.

We tend to tie bullet weights to certain rates of twist. If you look at the Greenhill formula, it's really the bullets length (actually a ratio of it's length to diameter) that requires a certain rotational velocity to get it to stabilize. Kind of makes sense if you think about it: The longer and thinner it is, the more likely it is to wobble along it's length. We all tend to equate certain bullet weights with a certain twist rate, but if a bullet design puts most of it's weight in a shorter portion of the bullet, often we can get by with a longer bullet than the conventional wisdom will allow. At less than 2800 fps, a 1 in 7 twist barrel will stabilize a 1" long .224 bullet (by formula) which is pretty darned long for caliber (over 4 times caliber). That's probably more twist than ideal for these thin jackets.

Boolit Bub
    Hi,

No problems with .224-22lr jacket bullets (Corbin dies) in my 1/7 Colt 16 inch barrel (chromelined). I tend to keep the throttle back a little at 2900 fps.

Over the years I have come to believe that rough bores and/or high, sharp lands combined with fast twistrates and high speeds are the deciding factors in bullets (with thin jackets) spinning apart in flight.

Chrs from Holland,
    BolloX

Using the black bottom punch as a mandrel and a $6 tubing cutter to shorten a 22mag case.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast