Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Review of 22LR to 224 Kaine Dies by DanR

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    Don't really know how to put it lightly but you guys are using the wrong dies or set up if the derim die is not giving you near %100 results.

I admit I use a pnumatic press for 99 percent of my deriming but the die and punch are the same that I offer with my 22 cal packages. The punch is hardened HSS and all I do is tumble my 22LR brass (couple thousand must fit in that tumbler) then lube a thousand or more in a gallon zip lock with my swage lube and I'm good to go. I have derimed 5k or more with the same punch and die. ZERO flaws! Period! No sorting brass, no worry about being extra clean on the inside......etc. All of it goes in 22LR and comes out perfect 22 cal jackets.

BT
    I derimmed 1000 pieces this weekend and only had one punch threw and 0 stick to punch

Boolit Buddy
    You asked for it
    One month before I started my swaging spree and this is the result up to now.
    Other half of cases are waiting to be processed.
    Do not asked me about figures to be honest I do not know.
    I will stop if all ingredients will be mixed up together

20kg of cores for 55gr

derimmed cases

finished hollow points with boat tail sized to .224

Quote Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
    I've shot 50 gr flat based regular bullets in a gun with a 1 in 8 twist and they shot just fine.. They were at least minute of 10" plate at 200 and shot just fine..

Om another note, I just got my scope back for my featureless AR-15.. A Simmons 1.5-5x on a LaRue Base.. I'm excited to go give it a whirl soon..
    Curious why you would buy an expensive rifle & mounting system & then plug in a cheap scope?? IME over the years, no such thing as good cheap glass.

Boolit Buddy

Rasto,
    What are you using to anneal all that?

Boolit Buddy
    Ordinary grill. I annealed 16000 cases within 2,5 hours.

Boolit Buddy

Im gonna have some extra "shiny" punches in about six weeks for cheap if anyone is interested.

Boolit Buddy
    Lower punches are essential. I need other to be made exactly to my dies diameters.Therefore I will let my mechanist to make them for me.
    Dan's punches are lacking precision and quality therefore be prepared for replacements. The dies them self are sufficient regarding quality.
    Last edited by rasto; 06-19-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    Don't really know how to put it lightly but you guys are using the wrong dies or set up if the derim die is not giving you near %100 results.

I admit I use a pnumatic press for 99 percent of my deriming but the die and punch are the same that I offer with my 22 cal packages. The punch is hardened HSS and all I do is tumble my 22LR brass (couple thousand must fit in that tumbler) then lube a thousand or more in a gallon zip lock with my swage lube and I'm good to go. I have derimed 5k or more with the same punch and die. ZERO flaws! Period! No sorting brass, no worry about being extra clean on the inside......etc. All of it goes in 22LR and comes out perfect 22 cal jackets.

BT

thats what im doing works good i mod my punch just a bit and now not one case gets stuck all i did was round the end of it and it push the 22lr case ez it add one more punch

I sorry i have not been here guys i been out uesing all the ammo i made lol
    and flying rc planes you will start to see me back on more im runing out of ammo lol

Boolit Buddy
    BT is just slandering other die makers for his own profit.
    You can see it in every thread about swagging dies even created the brand new one how to spend the money wisely.

On the contrary, his dies look nicely and well made but it is more than notable doing it on purpose.

Banned
    I would like to use a set of TB dies and see if they work the same or beter but i do not have 800 to blow on a set of dies just to test them out and see

now i know ever thing can be made beter then the outher guy but i will say how much you have to spend on them will all ways be the finle line

if it means i have to do one more step to save 200 hands down i will save 200

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
    Tried the ultrasonic method.. tried lubing the punch, tried all of that.. something on my end doesn't seem to work and I'm just not going to bother with it.. I'm happy doing things my way.. you like to do things your way.. let's just agree that we like our way(s) and leave it at that
    yep we all have are own way of doing stuff and no one going to make us change

Boolit Buddy

I have been making alot nicer bullets lately as I have changed my method of annealing.
    In Dan's directions he stated a method of using an oven at 450 degrees, well that wasn't working so after reading through all the good and plentifull info here I started using the propane torch method and wow what a differance I can get a smaller metplat and the accuracy has improved greatly

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rasto View Post
    BT is just slandering other die makers for his own profit.
    You can see it in every thread about swagging dies even created the brand new one how to spend the money wisely.

On the contrary, his dies look nicely and well made but it is more than notable doing it on purpose.
    just read this.
    it amuses me...greatly.
    it's wrong but still amusing.
    quality cost money......once.
    notice the next few posts about having new parts needed? that savings is being eaten away.
    and before you ask.
    yes, i have a set of these dies [done a review on them] and i do need some new parts allready.
    i'm just gonna buy another swage die set instead.

Boolit Mold
    I have been trying to get a hold of danr to see if he has a updated price list. I am needing a point forming punch.

Did he drop off this Earth? Would like to get some other things like a core mold not sure if he sells them.

Love Life
    I have an honest question for RunFiveRun: In your opinion do you believe these dies are worth the $600 or is it better to just keep pinching and get a set from either Corbin or BT Sniper?

*******Disclaimer******
    I have no dog in any fight concerning swaging products. I just do not like to throw away money.
    *******Disclaimer******

Banned

after trying dies from many different company's. [C&H,danr's, BT's, plus another one]

i'll straight up say that i just sent Bryan a check for 775.00 [for a 308 die set] and will send him another one when i can scrape up the cash.
    i don't need to swage.
    i can cover anything with cast,paper patched,or store bought.
    i want to, and i want quality results.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    after trying dies from many different company's. [C&H,danr's, BT's, plus another one]

i'll straight up say that i just sent Bryan a check for 775.00 [for a 308 die set] and will send him another one when i can scrape up the cash.
    i don't need to swage.
    i can cover anything with cast,paper patched,or store bought.
    i want to, and i want quality results.
    What does that post have to do with anything here???
    In case you havnt noticed this is a thread about Danr dies not anyone else dies.
    If you are happy with your dies post it on your manufacture's page not there competition. That last post reminds me of Obama's campaign...sad

Banned

oddly i have the dan-r die set
    and i answered a straight up question.

here i'll review them again
    BUY THE BT SNIPER DIES.
    there, iv'e reviewed my DAN_R dies.... you happy now?

In Remembrance

And, last I heard from XFoxa-go-go. . . . .

danr isn't even in the swage die biz any more. He got a job, is too busy, realized that the dies are too hard to make properly, and the profit isn't what he thought.

At least, that's what he (Xfoxa-go-go) said in castboolits CHAT.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post
    And, last I heard from XFoxa-go-go. . . . .

danr isn't even in the swage die biz any more. He got a job, is too busy, realized that the dies are too hard to make properly, and the profit isn't what he thought.

At least, that's what he (Xfoxa-go-go) said in castboolits CHAT.
    Yes that is the case he landed a job that takes up far to much of his time to make the dies anymore (that was his explanation) however I have been able to get a hold of him for any questions I have had, I agree BT's dies are a very quality product and will produce a better bullet but for the $300 that I paid for mine I am very happy, now that I have my annealing process straightened out I am holding 1" groups at 100yds.
    I will be purchasing dies for other calibers from BT I have nothing against the guy at all but at this point we are not on here comparing the two sets just talking about the set we own