RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
PBcastcoTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Model 1893 Marlin Peep Sight

Boolit Bub

Model 1893 Marlin Peep Sight

I'm looking for a peep sight for my 1893 since I cant hit squat with the open sights anymore.

I understand that with a peep sight you want the aperture as close to you eye as possible so a tang type sight would fit the bill for me.

Those of you that shoot a peep on your 1893's, what peep brand are you using and did you have to alter the gun in any way? I'd hate to drill holes in an original gun if I can avoid it.

T.

Boolit Bub
    Anyone tried fitting this Uberti # 71205 peep onto the tang of an 1893 Marlin?

It looks like it would be fairly flexible in the position of the front tang screw and the post seems to sit back far enough to maybe
    miss the bolt.

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/sights.php
    Last edited by mrtonegto; 08-03-2011 at 04:27 PM.

The original rifles could be fitted with a receiver sight designed by L.L.Hepburn who was one of Marlin's chief designers. He designed the Model 1893. His receiver sight was patented in 1903 and all models of 1893 after that date are factory drilled and tapped on top of the receiver. It's seen in my avatar which accompanies this post which I have fitted to a Model of 1893 in .38-55. These sights are very difficult to find and very expensive if you do find one.

The other sight offered by Marlin as an option was Lyman's tang sight which Lyman stamped under the base plate with a 'J' for the non smokeless steel barrels in .32-40 and .38-55. All the sights for Models of 1893 equipped with barrels made for smokeless powder, including .32-40 and .38-55, and so marked, were stamped 'JA'.The stem on these vintage Lyman sights is set sufficiently far back that the long bolt throw will not impinge upon the sight. As far as I know only these originals will work correctly this way although the Uberti sight # 71205, which you mention, looks promising although I have no experience of it. It looks as if you can select the position of the front tang screw doesn't it? Even if that didn't fit one could drill another hole in the tang sight a little further back if necessary. At all costs you mustn't drill your rifle's tang.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Smithywess, my gun was manufactured in 1903 but must have been before the receivers were drilled and tapped. Too bad, it would have been an alternative since I see that other companies are making receiver sights to fit.

I noticed that even the tangs on the 1893s are drilled differently, some have two large screws (one securing the bolt and another for a sight - I imagine) and ones like mine(see pic) that have one bolt for the butt and two small set screws - again, I imagine for some sort of sight.

No, for sure, I will never drill on this gun.

I now question whether the combination of the large screw and one of the set screws would effectively secure a tang site.

What do you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1893 Marlin tang.jpg  
    Last edited by mrtonegto; 08-04-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Boolit Bub
    One other point......... Marbles makes a tang site also for the 1893 and it also takes a hit from the bolt. I spoke (email) to them and they say they expect to have a new configuration out by around the end of the year. Unfortunately I've seen other threads on other sites that say they have been promising that since 2007.

That's why I searched for an alternative and I'm hoping I can get this Uberti 71205 to work.

I emailed Uberti for the dimensions of the base plate and asked whether the stem is adjustable to verticle.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtonegto View Post
    I noticed that some have two large screws (one securing the bolt and another for a sight - I imagine) and ones like mine(see pic) that have one bolt for the butt and two small set screws - again, I imagine for some sort of sight.

I now question whether the combination of the large screw and one of the set screws would effectively secure a tang site.

What do you guys think?
    Your rifle is factory prepped for a tang peep sight.

Commonly, most tang sight bases are attached by substituting a longer than issue tang screw for the rear, and a smaller screw for the front of the base - ergo the tangs you see with the large-headed issue tang screw and a small filler/blank screw (not a setscrew).

Other guns tang sight mounting do not utilize the tang screw at all - just secure the tang sight base with two small screws, the reason some tangs have the large-headed issue tang screw and two filler blank screws (not setscrews).

In any event, a period/vintage tang sight will look best, but cost the most - $150-$200 or more; while a modern Marbles for your rifle (they have an apps listing) costs about $130.

This is the new Marbles sight that should fit your rifle: Marlin 1894 (Orig)/1893 : sight #009829 , screw set # 995025

Measure the center-to-center distance of the tang and/or plug screws of your rifle, and be sure to get the sight with a base with that spacing.

Last edited by pietro; 08-04-2011 at 06:06 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Pietro, I will go with any effective tang site that does not require me to drill/tap my tang and that does not interfere (get hit) by the bolt.

I have checked with Lyman and Marbles - neither will do the job.

Do you know of any brands that will?

Boolit Bub
    Correction to my above post...........

I found out that the 1893 I spoke of, with the two large tang screws, had actually been altered by a previous owner.

So it appears my configuration is stock.

Boolit Bub
    Pietro, looks like you were editing while I typed my post #7........... just to confirm,
    I did call Marbles for the exact numbers you posted and the tech advise me that the
    bolt will hit the stem. That's when he said they were working on a new configuration.

There's a fella called 'Wind' on the Marlin Owners forum who utilizes the Marbles tang sight but with a modified base beneath it as I recall. The modified base fits the two tang screws that you illustrate in your picture. Why don't you try to get ahold of him on Marlin Owners. I have the same problem you do with sighting and I went the Marbles route with the predictable result and so apart from the rifle I already mentioned carrying Hepburn's receiver sight I have another five of them fitted with vintage Lyman sights of the correct period. If you ever get into the 1894's, Model '94's or the models of 1888 and 1889 they all accept that Marbles tang sight we were talking about without any problem. The vintage Lyman sight for those models was stamped 'E' under the base plate.

Now if you could find me two vintage Lyman tang sights stamped "JM' under the base plate I would be grateful for they would fit two of my Model of 1895's very well.

Boolit Bub
    Well I guess it IS a small world, been talking to Wind on the MO forum. He's was using a modified MVA base for a Stevens. He said MVA now makes a correct fitting base but they are a little high for my budget right now.

Who knows though, I might very well find you a couple of them "JM" sights - but be warned -
    they won't come cheap.................just kidding - thanks for the info.

Boolit Master
    I bought a Lyman Tang sight for the '93 and it comes with an adaptor that screws on to the tang and then the sight screws on to that. The hammer does not hit this sight but it is only adjustable for elevation. Worked out great on mine and you might have to drift the front sight a little to get it to work-I can't remember.

You might check with Buckshot and see if he knows someone who could make you a screw that fits thru the adaptor and screws into the lower tang. The one that came with the Lyman sight was not correct in thread pitch or diameter.

Like I said, ask Buckshot and see if he remembers the guy who made the tang sight screw for him and me.

Boolit Bub
    Hey Newtire, thanks for that idea............. but I'm proud to say I saw an older thread on
    the matter and I sent Buckshot a PM at 4pm yesterday.

Waiting anxiously for his reply.

So does the apdaptor definetely come with the (2) correct length 8-40 mounting screws?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonegto View Post
    Hey Newtire, thanks for that idea............. but I'm proud to say I saw an older thread on
    the matter and I sent Buckshot a PM at 4pm yesterday.

Waiting anxiously for his reply.

So does the apdaptor definetely come with the (2) correct length 8-40 mounting screws?
    If you message Buckshot, maybe he could tell you as he has one of these rifles too. I forgot what came with it frankly. I know i bought a set of screws from a guy off of ebay and they weren't right.