Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataPBcastco
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Wild West Guns

Wild West Guns

http://www.wildwestguns.com/copilot.html

Has anyone here ever dealt with these folks?

Can anyone give any input on the velocity and energy numbers for their two proprietary rounds (50 Alaskan & 457 Wild West Magnum)?

Boolit Man
    I have dealt with Wild West guns, only for parts, I have there triggers and big loop levers on a couple of my guns. Great people and the parts work well. Check out this link for .50 Alaskan ballistics. http://www.leveractions.com/Ballistics.htm. You might want to look at Doug Turnbulls .470 & .475 Turnbull leverguns also.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenstripe View Post
    http://www.wildwestguns.com/copilot.html

Has anyone here ever dealt with these folks?

Can anyone give any input on the velocity and energy numbers for their two proprietary rounds (50 Alaskan & 457 Wild West Magnum)?
    The data is on the website, with comparison to 45-70 BP loading and 450 Marlin.

You can handload a marlin 45-70 to the point you will not want to shoot it. Why bother with exotic wildcats, unless you just want to shoot exotic wildcats.
    Last edited by wills; 07-10-2011 at 02:18 PM.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Buddy
    I have not dealt with them but read about several people that have and it 99% good. I only remember one person saying anything bad but literally dozens who said they are excellent.
    Father, fool, friend.

Boolit Master

Probably driven by their shop 20 times in the last 10 years. Stopped in once. I think they can smell a starry eyed Alaskan bush newb with a pocket full of money a mile away- even on the phone I stopped in once just to look around and see what all the hype was about- was parctically ignored after not whippin' out a wallet full o green.

A few shots fired from a regular Marlin over-the-counter GG with stiff, full house 45-70s convinced me long ago- what's the point in a tricked out version in an exotic caliber. I guess to each his own.

In Remembrance
    I have not done any business with them, but he is a sponsor on the alaska outdoors forum, and is always willing to help with a problem especially with marlins. He also runs lots of specials on there, I think available to members first.

Boolit Master
    I can't help with the ballistics, but i have purchased their large loop lever as well as their peep sight assembly and aluminum follower for my guide gun. Great quality (read tough) very helpful & personable over the phone. Shipping was quick too.
    Bob

Vendor Sponsor

I was going to have my Marlin carbine converted to West's' takedown system. I talked to him extensively at the Shot Show. His work is excellent however his prices are stiff. Also I didn't care for his large knurled knob under the muzzle end of the gun to hold the mag tube in place. I figured I could do better.

Biggest problem was the "package price" way of doing things. It was going to cost me more than $1200 to convert my $375 Marlin to takedown with a octagon barrel. Now this included an action job that I didn't need because I had already done it, which didn't matter. It was already part of the package.

I did the research and decided to do the conversion myself which is not an option for many. This is really what I wanted to do in the first place.

In short if you are willing to pay the money, Wild West does really nice work, and his turn around times are very reasonable (6-8) weeks for custom work. He also offers some proprietary caliber conversions that will make your Marlin in to a real "Field Piece"

It just wasn't for me.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Mold
    I have to agree with needing to smell like money when you walk in the door. Several years ago I took in a new Springfield Armory Micro Compact for a trigger job. The guy behind the counter proceeded to tell me what a piece of crap the internal parts of my gun were and how I needed to change them all out for better ones. They also wanted like $350 to install a barrel and cut the slide in a Colt Officer Model for a Novak sight. I sent the slide and sights I had already bought to Novak and they installed both for under $100. Great job too. WWG has a nice product but their counterside manner is insulting. My two-cents. I don't deal with them anymore.
    Last edited by AKThom; 07-15-2011 at 02:38 AM. Reason: left off piece of information

Good to know - thanks for sharing your experiences - I'm thinking of have a Rossi 92 barrel threaded - anyone have recommendations for good price and reasonable turn around?

Boolit Mold
    The 45-70 is great, and more than I will ever need. But the 45-70 doesn't quite make the full power stopping rifle marks. It has been used over and over on dangerous game, but that doesn't make it a stopping rifle. Clearly the guide gun is intended to be a stopping rifle. The 50 Alaskan does everything the 45-70 does and more, at the shorter ranges. It passes the smell test for pros, and it operates at lower pressures for the rest of us. Initially it was not a fancy rifle, it was just a 50 BMG barrel mounted on a lever with the base of 50 BMG bullets loaded in the case. In that guise it had pretty much a 100% record on Alaskan bears. The only thing it lacks in the normal test for African stopping level rifles (as a round) is the sectional density of the 50 cal bullet, in normal weights, but then that is the same for the other 50 cals. I can certainly see why someone would want one, but I also see why many would much rather the 45-70. I just wish that with all the options we do have, someone would offer it as a factory rifle.

+1 on theSmall of money and counter service. Stopped in to buy some 1911 parts and was basicly told stop wasting their time only real gunsmiths could work on guns. ( never asked if i was just assumed that they were better or all knowing) Wasn't even their parts.. not like I could ruin their reputation by Farging up my own gun and then trying to blame their parts.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Does having them ship a rifle to you, without a bolt in it count? Especially if they can't find the bolt?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Does having them ship a rifle to you, without a bolt in it count? Especially if they can't find the bolt?
    Ya, that counts in my book