Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Please show off you're .32's

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, I did the 093T for my .30 Luger, ~ matching the original weight with the bevel for convenience.

Question about crimping: I've understood that you could crimp the .32 ACP semi-rimmed and .30 Luger bottleneck cases in the crimp grooves, if they had them in the right places, say with the Saeco 325 SWC you've mentioned in the past or your new designs like the 095T. However, where the devil do you get a roll (profile) crimp die for .32 ACP, or for that matter, .30 Luger?

My check of the Redding catalog shows no such animal for either round (I don't have Redding dies for either at present to check, but I assume they are taper crimp types since they show N.A. for a separate Profile crimp die).

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I never owned the 077B mold, but had good results with bullets others sent me to test. In getting my own mold finally I really needed to reduce band diameter and control max. nose diameter to fit CIP chamber throats in my SIG P230, Walther PP and Beretta M70 without sizing.

The original "fat" .314 bullet works fine sized to .313" for the WW2-era Beretta M1935 and Colt M1903 pocket hammerless, but is too large for the modern guns unless sized, and to me sizing from .314 to .311 is more than I want. I've got 31-087T in the "fat" size for the old guns, but want a lighter bullet to be shot as-cast and unsized with Lee Liquid Alox and the standard lube groove is fine with that too.

I also wanted the crimp groove as a positive visual reference of correct seating depth, and because I do profile crimp my all of my .32 ACPs in the Redding Die.

REALLY like your 093T, perfect for 1903 Colt, replacing the springs with heavy-duty .380 ones!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    My tame 32 long
    Attachment 214256

and the wild 327 Fed. GP100
    Attachment 214257
    The "tame" 32 long is beautiful.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by photomicftn View Post
    ...Question about crimping: I've understood that you could crimp the .32 ACP semi-rimmed and .30 Luger bottleneck cases in the crimp grooves, if they had them in the right places, say with the Saeco 325 SWC you've mentioned in the past or your new designs like the 095T. However, where the devil do you get a roll (profile) crimp die for .32 ACP, or for that matter, .30 Luger? My check of the Redding catalog shows no such animal for either round (I don't have Redding dies for either at present to check, but I assume they are taper crimp types since they show N.A. for a separate Profile crimp die).
    Redding makes a profile crimp for the .32 S&W Long. Easy way to get one for .32 ACP is to find a used one for .32 S&W Long and cut the die .25" which would be less expensive than having one custom-made, which I did.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I rolled up some loads with 1.7 grains Clays and 71 grain J-word to try in the Kel-Tec. Put a few down range and they shoot great. I was reminded of why I have always like this gun and cartridge so much. Anybody ever work with Clays in .32 Auto much? The only published load I have is from an old Lee manual, 1.5-1.7 grains under a 71 grain FMJ. This load is only listed at 15k CUP so pretty mild. I'm planning to work up to 1.8, 1.9, and 2.0 with Fiocchi 7.65 brass.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

EB, I know what you are saying, I bought my first .44 Blackhawk #11114, sorry that I sold it, Fivefang

There have been one or two over the years ... mostly .32's but a few .38's as well ...

Then there are the .32 autos ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Nice collection there!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Thanks ... part of a collection of 20 guns I bought a couple of years back. There were a few really interesting guns in the batch!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

I thought that Canada had a minimum 4.2" barrel length, some of those look short. Are old guns grandfathered in?

Yes, any handgun in .25 calibre, .32 calibre, or with a barrel less than 105mm (4.14") is now considered a 12.6 category "Prohibited handgun". Fortunately those of us who already owned those types of guns and had them registered with the RCMP were "grandfathered" and we are allowed to keep them, shoot them at approved ranges, and buy sell and trade for similar guns in that category as long as we always keep at least ONE gun registered in the 12.6 category. If we sell them all then we lose our grandfather status. Guns that were manufactured pre-1946 are eligible to be inherited from family members if they hold a Restricted licence for handguns, but they cannot buy more like them ... they can only keep possession of the inherited Prohibited handguns.

The ".25 and .32" calibre regulation really threw a wrench in the works. As soon as it was done the Canadian Olympic coaches complained to the government that they had just prohibited a large number of guns that are used in Olympic competition (.32 S&W Long target pistols like Walther GSP's, etc.). The government came up with a list of suitable guns for competition shooting and they are exempted, but if your gun is not on the specified list you are out of luck and it is a 12.6 Prohib. The other problem is that when they specified calibre only it then included guns like TC Contenders with barrels in .32 S&W Long, .32-20, .32 H&R Magnum, etc. regardless of their barrel lengths. It also included the Ruger Hawkeye single shot pistol just because it is in .256 Winchester Magnum. Nobody who drafted this legislation of ours had a clue about guns or calibres ... their intention was small and easily concealable handguns in .25 auto and .32 auto, but of course who cares since in Canada you can only take any handgun to an approved range for target shooting so who cares what calibre it is in or what length the barrel is? It's all complete nonsense created by imbecile anti-gun politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I thought that Canada had a minimum 4.2" barrel length, some of those look short. Are old guns grandfathered in?

Boolit Master
    32 ACP Beretta M1935 circa 1951. Small, accurate, incredibly fast to strip down, and has a nasty habit of ejecting shells so that they bounce off the top of your head.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    Yes, any handgun in .25 calibre, .32 calibre, or with a barrel less than 105mm (4.14") is now considered a 12.6 category "Prohibited handgun". Fortunately those of us who already owned those types of guns and had them registered with the RCMP were "grandfathered" and we are allowed to keep them, shoot them at approved ranges, and buy sell and trade for similar guns in that category as long as we always keep at least ONE gun registered in the 12.6 category. If we sell them all then we lose our grandfather status. Guns that were manufactured pre-1946 are eligible to be inherited from family members if they hold a Restricted licence for handguns, but they cannot buy more like them ... they can only keep possession of the inherited Prohibited handguns.

The ".25 and .32" calibre regulation really threw a wrench in the works. As soon as it was done the Canadian Olympic coaches complained to the government that they had just prohibited a large number of guns that are used in Olympic competition (.32 S&W Long target pistols like Walther GSP's, etc.). The government came up with a list of suitable guns for competition shooting and they are exempted, but if your gun is not on the specified list you are out of luck and it is a 12.6 Prohib. The other problem is that when they specified calibre only it then included guns like TC Contenders with barrels in .32 S&W Long, .32-20, .32 H&R Magnum, etc. regardless of their barrel lengths. It also included the Ruger Hawkeye single shot pistol just because it is in .256 Winchester Magnum. Nobody who drafted this legislation of ours had a clue about guns or calibres ... their intention was small and easily concealable handguns in .25 auto and .32 auto, but of course who cares since in Canada you can only take any handgun to an approved range for target shooting so who cares what calibre it is in or what length the barrel is? It's all complete nonsense created by imbecile anti-gun politicians.
    Thanks. Sadly, some places in the USA aren't far behind.

Boolit Master
    S&W 631 in 32 H&R Magnum 4", and a S&W Hand Ejector Model of 1903. Fifth Change.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S&W J and I frames 001.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	220158

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    S&W 631 in 32 H&R Magnum 4", and a S&W Hand Ejector Model of 1903. Fifth Change.

Name:	S&W J and I frames 001.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	220158
    And both gorgeous!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Banner Sponsor

Here is my meager collection of 32s

Name:	32s.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	220283

I worked up to 2.0 grains of Clays in the P32 under a 71 grain FMJ at .971 OAL in Fiocchi 7.65 brass. Every round fired just fine, primers look normal and no bulge in the case. The sky was quite overcast so I didn't get a good string of chronograph data, but the shots I did record were running around 750 fps. By comparison, S&B 7.65 Browning 73 grain factory rounds are a very consistent 850-870 fps, which is about as strong as I can go with this pistol and still hang on to the darn thing. Next up, I'm going to try Clays and Titegroup with 76 grain LFP slugs. In my previous P32 I was using Titewad but that one is just too fast for anything but practice loads, I think.

There are two modifications I am going to do before I put the P32 in the rotation. First of all, the trigger has alot of overtravel after the hammer is released. This causes me to shoot low. On this design it is a pretty easy fix. The back of the trigger bar has an L shaped bend, which serves as the sear and engages the bottom of the hammer. By carefully shortening the forward edge of this part, you cause the hammer to release later in the trigger pull thereby reducing overtravel. I'm going to modify it until it has a similar release to a double action revolver, which I am quite accustomed to. The hammer is held back in a partially cocked position by the hammer block, not the trigger bar, so this modification does not affect the safety of the design.

I'm also going to shorten the ejector blade until the cases land about 3-4' away, instead of 8-12 feet. This is just a matter of filing down the forward edge of the ejector until it ejects the way I want it to.

Boolit Bub
    My first custom...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazenet View Post
    My first custom...
    Details man, details! It looks like maybe you started from a Model 66 and used a rebored 6" Model 617 barrel and cylinder like I did, right? Or did you do a complete conversion on a 617 donor gun? Who did the work, how long did it take, other special features, etc, etc?? It looks like that is a piece that should have some bragging done on it!

Green Frog
    Owner of Project 616
    "It aint easy being green!"

On the topic of overtravel in the Kel Tec, it seems to me you could accomplish the same thing with some sort of triggerstop. I fashioned a little ridge of auto body plastic metal filler behind the trigger of my P32 last night. All this does is extend the grip area behind the trigger so it doesn't move back so far after it fires. Will report how well it works.