Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shame Shame on me!!!!!!

Boolit Master

Shame Shame on me!!!!!!

Forgive me father for I have committed a sin!I got kicked off the Traitional Muzzle
    loaders board.I really don't know for sure.But I did ask about inline muzzleloaders
    accuracy compaired to a side burner at 100 yards & ZAP!

I don't own a inline, never shot one & never even been around one.I was just
    wondering.I guess you can,t even say inline there.No big deal, but I thought that was very unfare.

No notifcation or anything.
    O well beware of what you say if you post there.

Fly

Boolit Buddy
    May be you can go back with a new screen name like FLY IN THE OINTMENT

Hope to read more on your adventures with your Gibb's over
    here
    I had a chance to shoot one , declined, figured if I tried it
    I would have to buy one.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    That seems peculiar. I'll have to go ask the staff what happened. They usually aren't that sudden about such things.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I did notice that they did a policy change lately in that the cutoff date for muzzleloaders is the civil war in their opinion. But its OK to use pyrodex and tripple seven and new fangled powders and heaven forbid don't mention in-lines. Whatever trips your trigger I guess. Sure seems a same to me to ignore all those fine long range muzzleloading rifles built in the 1870s and '80s.

Richard

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings I am a member there also and remember that notice.. I figured they would give someone a warning... Most fellers there are helpful and easy going... Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I also am a member over there ... Usually there is a warning ... Was there anything else going on? Was this your first time of mentioning an "un-mentional"?

What was your user name over there ...
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master
    My user name was Fly the same as here.I have posted over there for a long time & never
    had any problem I can remember.It's no big deal, it's there form & if they see fit to run it
    as such that fine.

The only thing is I have seen others that really helped the form members & never caused
    any problems, removed by something they said also.Sometimes people break rules with
    out meaning to.

I call that bending a rule.But what the heck, there is this board & many others that welcome
    posters as myself.It's is the people that post, that make a good form, not so much the ones
    that run it.Chase away your members & what are you left with.

Fly

Banned

I read lot over there but i dont post much. There are some smug *** people that post there. I kinda get tired of the "it aint PC" crowd. I have been a member there for about 3 years. That being said I have learned alot on that sight and continue to read it daily.

Andy

Boolit Buddy
    I know the feeling, all of a sudden I was kicked off there 5 yrs ago for no reason never figuared it out, I went back there in 09 but only restarted posting since feb. There are some real wi g nuts there now . Monday I got on the site and had to do a agree thing, oh well, I don't care if they kick me off again .

Boolit Master

I'm a traditionalist but have nothing against the inlines (different strokes). We tried to get all of the hunters that did our primitive hunts to use the inlines with a scope so our kill ratio would be up. Some of them were as good as a single shot rifle out to 200yd and velocities far above normal BP velocities. You still need a guy who can hit the broad side of a barn though.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    i stay away of boards that block even a mention of stuff.

Boolit Grand Master
    How does that board handle questions about period (really old - pre-civil war) inlines? Without further information and with a generally low regard for the snooty types who seem to know it all, I can't see me working too hard for the answer.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like a really good place to avoid. They must be really anal. I would say you are lucky to be away from there.

Banned

There are some really good guy over there. Then there is a couple who feel it is their job to make sure you do it their way. Every website is the same, it is up to the site owner to decide what content they will allow on their site. We all have to remember that just because we are a member we dont have a right to decide content on someone elses site. I like the site because of the variety of content discussed there. Personally i have no issue with inlines it is how i got started in muzzleloading. I also feel alienating that particular group of people only weakens the sport as a whole. That being said I feel that site is more geared towards the historical re-enactor/living history group. For that reason alone i can understand their attitude, but curiousity is what hooked me on traditional muzzleloading and got me away from inlines.

Andy

So, you're saying the Fly got swatted?

Without seeing the context of the question, I could understand the thread being killed but I don't understand why you'd have been booted without having any previous infractions of the forum rules ... that just doesn't make sense but then again, there's a lot of things in this world that don't make sense like the self-proclaimed "HC Police" who choose to promote fiction and/or myth as opposed to the facts. I know how you feel, recently I had posts deleted from a forum that claims to promote "historical accuracy" simply because the facts presented in a book I quoted countered some of the myths and misconceptions that are being presented as facts. Sometimes the ignorant and adamant about remaining so.

I tend to prefer the traditional stuff purely because most of it is still designed or functions a lot better than more modern stuff but I also don't see any reason why the modern items cannot be discussed especially especially in a comparative manner. If a gun that has about as much grace as a sewer pipe strapped to a fence post, requires more accoutrements than a flintlock, is harder to clean and takes longer to load is what makes you happy, more power to ya man - enjoy! Sorry, I just can't resist the temptation to get the rib-jabs in especially now that the flow of them into my shop increased as the upcoming hunting season approaches. I maintain my firm stance that "Guns is guns and ain't it great that we live in a place where you've go so many choices!"

So what's your question Fly? Are you wondering if the modern inlines are more accurate than traditional guns? The answer is "no" because it all depends on the quality of the gun, the capabilities of the shooter and the quality of the operation. The second part of the accuracy issue depends upon what who considers "accurate" because some folks are thrilled if they can hit a dinner plate with five of ten shots at 50yds from their rifle while others aren't happy until they get one ragged hole from ten shots with their smoothbore at the same range. That doesn't just apply to ML's either, hit the modern rifle forums where you'll find those who are thrilled with a 6" group at 100yds and others who aren't happy with a 6" group at 800yds.
    Last edited by FL-Flinter; 08-04-2011 at 07:26 AM.

Boolit Master
    I remember being "invited" to attend a muzzleloader group function at MY shooting range (I was a member).

The one guy who was running the show told me I wouldn't be able to participate with my 1850-ish original Scheutzen rifle that belonged to my Great Grandpa because it had an aperture sight and that I really should get myself some original "getup" if I was going to shoot muzzleloaders.

I asked him why wasn't he riding a horse instead of the F-250 he rode in on. I stayed away from those guys and shot my M/L by myself after that.

On one group, I referred to this group and was told that it was a no-no to mention other websites. I don't go there anymore either.

Boolit Master
    Given that in-lines date back to before 1820 (I think it was the Hall Rifle) and breechloaders go back before 1776 (Ferguson) I get a chuckle out of those pure "traditionalists" and those who believe that an in-line is a purely modern contrivance.
    Most experts whose opinions can actually be believed will tell you that in terms of originals, there really aren't any hard and fast rules.
    If you dig deep and far back enough, you'll find some old stuff that's more modern (and sometimes a little better) than the new.
    Just my .02.

Perma-Banned
    they're also very anal about buy/sell/trade ads. if yer a regular member ya get one ad at a time and ya can only have one item in it. if yer a "premium" member ya get 5 but still only one item per ad. also, the only way to get premium membership is to use the very anti-gun paypal with auto-pay renewal. but as others have said there are some very sharp gunbuilders over there. have a good'en neighbors, bubba.

Boolit Master
    You know Bubba thats the only thing I'm going to miss, is the few that really help folks.Brown Bear has been a true friend to me & a few others.

Kinda reminds me of the ole USSR, where they had to watch what they said.

Fly

I've been a member there for several years. Rules are real tight and I would have liked to see them be a little more tolerant. But not on inlines. I think most there understand the history of the inline rifle. But I remember some people posting there trying to argue the angle that since inlines where being used in the same time frame that they should have an inline section. The owner(s) have stated that they wanted to keep inlines out of their website regardless of historical accuracy. I could live with that. Their site, their rules. If a person reads thru the posts for a few months it wouldn't take long to realize that they aren't going to take kindly to a discussion dealing with a comparison of modern inlines to a more traditional muzzleloader.

Some of the guys there remind me of the type of people I have lived around and learned a lot from. COB's that are very opinionated and when pushed just get more and more stubborn. Some people can't stand them, I just learn what I can from them and let them be who they are. Someday I hope to be a COB.

I don't have a bit of problems with a modern inline being used for hunting. Just do it in the regular rifle season. My opinion only. As long as your legal according to DOW regs I'll keep my mouth shut tho.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast