WidenersPBcastcoRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: HP'ing Your Own Mold without a Full Machine Shop

Quote Originally Posted by yondering View Post
    How are you going to drill a bullet perfectly straight without a lathe?

well I'm certainly no machinist but I figure that if you have a good drill press, set up nice and square with a brad point bit that you'd be able to drill a pretty straight hole though a boolit. and using calipers you should be able to see if the hole was drilled center.

Quote Originally Posted by yondering View Post
    Seems that if you have the capability to drill a bullet straight, you could use that same capability to drill the mold.

I assumed that the main intent of the Bushing used on page one was to help ensure that the drill bit was centered inside the cavity. after all it would be quite difficult to peek into the cavity to make sure the bit was exactly where it needed to be.

my idea was just to make your own rather than going to the trouble of driving to the hardware store and trying to find a bushing that either fits or fits close enough that you have to wrap in in foil to make it work.

after all what would fit the cavity better than a boolit cast from it?
    Jesus gave me everything when he gave me salvation.
    CBOB0690

Great write up, it's almost genius if not so simple. Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge .
    There's nothing new under the sun, we just have to find it

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by edsmith View Post
    Really great post, I made it into a pdf file and printed it out, it makes a nice booklet, the photos are great. when I need a drill bit to be spot on in a peice of alu., I use a brad point drill bit, they work well in alu.
    Me too. My Lee mold should be here today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think I could make a good centering bushing but I'd love to try this. I've been planning to buy a small lathe for awhile and use it as a business write off. I suppose the time for that is getting close...

I have a couple Lee molds for my .45-70 that would be at the top of my list to HP...

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Buddy
    I gave the bushing method a shot on a new model (alignment cones) Lee 358-200-FN. It didn't come out perfectly centered but it's PDC. I've casted up a few and hope to try them out next week. I was getting around 2" groups with the FN at 100yds in my 350 Legend AR. If they come in close to that I'll consider it a success. As a side benefit, the cavity I drilled was usually really hard to get the boolits to drop from. (That's why I picked it to drill.) That problem seems to be solved.

Thanks for sharing!

John

Boolit Buddy
    Tested the HPs last weekend. Got under 1" at 50yds and 3 1/2" - 4" at 100yds. The HP was just a touch off center and it must be enough to destabilize it by the time it gets out that far. Interesting that at 50yds it shoots better than the RFN. Probably because the COG has been moved back a bit.

Trying to decide if I should take a crack at the other cavity.�� Thanks again for sharing!

John

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789