RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: HP'ing Your Own Mold without a Full Machine Shop

Quote Originally Posted by autopilotmp View Post
    That will help a lot, I understood all of it except this part:

"Then lay the weight in the cavity to mark grooves for cutting."

Think I can work with the info you have provided, maybe I can get to this project this weekend. Will take pics as I go, although it is hard telling when I will get another day to cast before spring. I cast outside so the temp has to be fairly warm.

Thanks again for the expanded info on this I appreciate your time.
    This is the simple part, but I guess I should have made it a little more clear. Lay the weight on the cavity on a mold half, then mark where the lube grooves are touching with a sharpy marker. Then just put it back on the bolt, chuck it into your press, and cut the corresponding grooves into it so it will sit in the mold cavity and allow the mold to close. It doesn't have to be a perfect match to the actual boolit grooves, just so the mold will close tight and there is no wobble inside the cavity by the weight (Preferably no spinning either--best if it's a tight fit).
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Moderator Emeritus

How are you casting with these? Are you setting the pin in to your depth, resting the mold on it and ladle casting? I am trying to devise something easy to hold the pin while I D%T the mold with a screw to keep the pin from coming out as I slide it out from under the bottom pour.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Thanks for the explanation, after reading the post several times I walked away from the computer and looked at the mold for a min and realized that is what you meant.thanks again for your help.

MT>> I ladle cast, but you could bottom pure all the same. When I make the pins I over-size them about 1/1000 then lap them right into the mold. When it's up to temp friction holds the pin in place. Haven't had a loose one yet that wouldn't stay put till I gave it a twist.

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Bub
    Tried to do both cavities. Messed up the first one, got the second one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0180.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	59513

This is after powder coating. Have to make a new pan with pins on it so I could just place the hp over the pin and powder coat the whole boolit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0190.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	59514

Awe man, that looks GREAT!! Fired any yet? We need the range report now! For the botched cavity you might be able to carefully redrill it larger and just use a plug pin for a flat nose. But honestly, the other one looks like it came out so well there's no point in risking the mold now. So you ended up with a 1-banger--it's a darn good looking one-banger!

Boolit Bub
    Just an FYI drill guide bushings can be had in a lot of sizes and shapes and fit the drill perfect. They are cheap, just a few dollars, and can be purchased from any machinist supply. The fit is so nice you could drill with a hand drill. Oh and nice machining, its not the tooling its the will to make the setup that gets the job done

Boolit Bub
    The pictures in the attatched link will show you some rough performance capabilities. I still haven't been able to test any of my boolits, but someone else followed my example and have been able to test theirs. I may end up going to a few indoor ranges around me and seeing if they'd allow me to do expansion testing and such.

http://www.300BlkTalk.com/forum/view...?f=141&t=82162

Man, you are making me ill... You are going to FORCE me to get that darn 300 Blackout barrel for my NEF, aren't you? And then there comes dies, and molds, and fire-forming, and custom mods... See what you are doing here??

WOW this thread is bad for me!!!
    so i show the fiance this thread, and say i am going to give it a go. i got the glare...
    she has faith in my abilities, but she says i will now want to buy multiple molds of the same kind everytime i order.

fast forward a few pages and she see's mention of a 300 blackout. well she has me show her what it is and now it has been added to her list.

i want to say thanks for this write up, as i think it will be very handy.

i think i will try 1st with a lee 356-102 that i use for the fiance's .380 "sometimes 9mm powderpuff's"

will post pics soon

Boolit Buddy
    Really great instructions on how to become a "Do it yourself'er"

Great Pics too. I can never my pics to look anything like yours.

Boolit Buddy
    I am interested. Or I wouldnt be up at midnight memorising this thread...Thanks,Rangefinder
    I have a Lee 0.285/130 double cavity, and I think I can knock out the alignment pin in the forward cavity, get a brass nipple OR tape a 3.5mm bit to get centre , clamp the mold to the work table and go for it.
    Cheers
    PS-Can Anyone here please tell me how to remove the handles off this mold?
    Yup, am that new

great thread im thinking I want to do one as well

Quote Originally Posted by eljefeoz View Post
    I am interested. Or I wouldnt be up at midnight memorising this thread...Thanks,Rangefinder
    I have a Lee 0.285/130 double cavity, and I think I can knock out the alignment pin in the forward cavity, get a brass nipple OR tape a 3.5mm bit to get centre , clamp the mold to the work table and go for it.
    Cheers
    PS-Can Anyone here please tell me how to remove the handles off this mold?
    Yup, am that new

The lee 2-cav handles are pinned in place. You can remove them by tapping the pins out, but it's not necessary for the procedure of HP'ing them--just the alignment pin in the way of the cavity you want to drill.

My plan is to hp my Lyman rfn 250gr what size diameter would you recomend for the pin for deer size game. I use ww/2% tin

Quote Originally Posted by jasent View Post
    My plan is to hp my Lyman rfn 250gr what size diameter would you recomend for the pin for deer size game. I use ww/2% tin
    Jasent, what mold/caliber/cartridge? For hunting, I'd recommend NOT HP'ing---a rfn with a soft alloy will do quite well and penetrate as needed. HP's may not be the best idea. BUT... I'll guide you as best I can on a HP project none the less.

44mag,Lyman #439 I believe, 250gr rfn double cavity. Alloy I normally use is ww+2% tin. When I recover these bullets they normally dont expand much if at all in dirt. Have yet to shoot game with this gun. Its a new model super Blackhawk with 10 1/2" barrel. I also use this gun for pd

Much better info... For good expansion, you're too hard--if by WW you mean "clip-on" WW... For a good expansion with good weight retention I use 50/50 clip-on with dead-soft and add 2% tin. If you try to use straight clip-on with a HP it will shatter and both penetration and terminal ballistics will suffer.

The general rule I toy with where pin size and depth is concerned is between 1/3 and no more than 1/2 boolit diameter for pin diameter and set depth is about twice whatever that diameter comes out to be--give or take with boolit profile.

thank you. I do have some soft lead. ill mix it as you said. yes clip on wheel weights.

Boolit Buddy

Question

Man,,, I have no press
    but have a great mold I would love to HP,,
    Ideal single Cav, 452-460 steel, One at a time will be just fine for me and the Colt .45acp
    Rangefinder Sent you a PM,,
    If I can get the mold drilled I can make up a pin with Mr Dewall and a file finishe with emerycloth
    and fit a nice Knob and pin stop
    its the drill press it is not something I can find on the cheap here
    I am good with a drill but not that good hahaha

as for the rifle mold with off set hole, make up a plug and have a FN and HP mold to salvage mold Cav,,

All these look killer
    Great work boys

Patrick
    Last edited by sparkz; 05-15-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Fat Fingers
    Trust in God and Keep your Powder Dry ~ Oliver Cromwell

It's Said Republicans want to Pour all your Money down the Drain,,
    Where as the Democrats want a Bigger Drain,

Please Give me 24 to 48 Hours to respond to PM, Thank You

My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast