MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Need Help Again with patch cutter

Need Help Again; about a forster patch cutter

I can't find any information on this Forster Patch Cutter. I think it might be rare or hard to find. I have a letter that has suggestions for the use of Forster Muzzleloading Accessories. Here is what one line saids; 1 1/4 inch patches made using the forster patch cutter are suitable for use with 45, 50 and 54 caliber. This is brand new. How old is this?
    Last edited by Wildwood-Lake; 11-08-2011 at 08:33 AM.
    When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.
    -- Ernest Hemingway

I think they were made in the late 1970's - 80's, but have since been discontinued. I had one, but found it extremely slow and difficult to use and finally tossed it out. However, if the cutter could be chucked in a drill press and cut through several layers of cloth, its effectiveness would be vastly improved. Btw, a rotary cutter or new (or sharp) pinking shears is so much faster than that Forster tool.

That's good to know.

Thank You

I make my own. Take a robust hole saw, grind off the teeth, create a sharp cutting edge and harden. In the drill press I can make a LOT of patches in short measure.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Wildwood-Lake & Jeff, The drill press + modified hole saw is wonderful IF you have the former. The rotary cutter I was referring to is a handheld pizza cutter-like tool with a replaceable wheel/cutter that's available from fabric stores, e.g., Jo-ann's here. It's very easy to cut patch strips on striped goods like pillow tick as you just follow the lines. Btw, my Forster trimmer never was sharp enough to cleanly cut patches or cut them without snagging, which is why I tossed it.

Besides which, I find that it is much easier to center the ball on a square patch.

Thumbs up

Amen to that Tatume!

In Remembrance
    I never used precut patches. Alsays used a piece of lubed material and a patch knife.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Besides which, I find that it is much easier to center the ball on a square patch.
    Hey, I know that square patches work fine but as part of my range of products I have been asked to add patches and the average NZ MLer shooter is convinced they must have round patches. It's not WHAT they get for their money. It's what they THINK they get that matters.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    I always bite the bullet and spring for the appropriate size Osborne punch. Kept sharp, they will punch through 5-10 layers of pillow ticking with one whack from a dead blow hammer against an end-grain chopping block. Five minutes of swinging a hammer makes about enough patches for a years worth of shooting for the average bear.

I sold this for 29$

Thanks Again for the information.
    When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.
    -- Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    I never used precut patches. Alsays used a piece of lubed material and a patch knife.
    CM
    Hey Charlie. I wondered if I was the only one to do this. Quickest way for me.
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    I make my own. Take a robust hole saw, grind off the teeth, create a sharp cutting edge and harden. In the drill press I can make a LOT of patches in short measure.
    I liked the drill press idea, so I made it to work in the drill press, soI made one out of some metal that I had laying around.. (this was done on a lathe..)
    I cut a few, and decided I would make it a little deeper so I can cut a few more at a time before removing the ones in the cutter.. while I was at it, I sharpened it up.
    I chucked it up on my drill press,.... and was getting it all lined up was lowering the cutter, for the next stack,and lowered it right on my finger.. cuts really good, felt really stupid.. bled really reallly good too..
    I do know it is good and sharp!! Nothing removed just cut.. kind of curved cut..
    I am good for a couple of years with the patches though.. Now just got to learn to make bandaids...
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

take your patch material wrap it around a piece of board, (several layers) staple or tack the edges of the board, then use the drill press method. much easier this way.do one side and flip over to the other side. can make quite a few in juat a little while this way.

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    CM
    Really? I'm hearing a bunch of stuff here that boggles the mind just a hair. What's wrong with an old pillow covering and a straight razor or knife?

Just curious. I'm all for traditional so I try to repeat with what I have, not what can be produced. Patched ball .490 over a cut patch w/knife w/.015 thickness sprayed w/Moose Milk(50% Murphy's oil soap and H2O) over 75 grains. Paper hits fairly close to the bull for a kill shot almost every time.

Question, why waste time doing your own or buying when you already have all you need at hand?
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

sharpen 1 1/4" socket, fold pillow ticking several times, place on hardwood board, place socket in center of material, whack the s@#t out of it, whala 45 cal rb patches
    It don't make much sense that commonsense don't make no sense nomore

If you died today would you have lived your life or have you simply existed