Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: truncated cone .44 ?

Question truncated cone .44 ?

Has anyone here cast/ shot/ any .44 tc boolits . I would like to know your opinion on the subject . how are they for accuracy and their ability to fight wind drift etc. the one that I am considering will be 250gr with about a .250-.255 meplat . Any and all opinions would be appreciated . thanks in advance

Boolit Grand Master

I used to shoot the SSK T-C boolit in both 357 and 44 when I shot sillywett. They are accurate and wind drift was about as good as it gets with a heavy slow moving (relatively) boolit. I sold the 44 mold but still have the 357/200gr mold for use in my 1894. It works great for hunting hogs and feral sheep.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

The TC is inbetween a SWC and a RNFT --- flys through the air easier then a SWC because it doesn't have the lip at the base of the nose --- but not as slippery as a RNFT (round nose flat tip)

Boolit Master

I have the Saeco #420- 200gr TC its very accurate at 25 to 50 yards with a varitey of loads in the 800 to 1300 fps range & from 5 different 44 mags . it is my go to bullet for most purposes , i hardley every shoot the heaver bullet designes. it gives up a little bit on accuracy beyond 50 yards to heaver cast bullets. Saeco makes a few heaver weight TC bullet moulds !

The most accurate cast bullet ive found for 50 yards & beyond is the RCBS 240 SIL bullet.

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot a Saeco 220gr TC in the 41 mag. Does very good as far as accuracy, wind drift, and drop. Much better at distance than the Lyman SWC. Not hard to hit gallon size rocks up to 200 yards.
    The TC boolits also fill out well in the molds due to fewer sharp edges and they drop out easy.

Boolit Master

I have one in a NEI mold it casts @325 grs and is very accurate but shoots Much higher than any other load I use. I shoot bullets from 180-262 grs at many velocities including 44 special and that was the only load way off sights AT * inches high at 25 yards.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Have the Saeco #428 truncated cone 240 grain flat base. One of my favorite 44 bullets. I think I've one for every day of the week.

It sits deeper in the case than a true Keith bullet. Even deeper than my H&G #503 SWC 255 grain. Thus I use the loads for the Magma 240 SWC usually listed in load data as lead SWC. Never tried to push the high end with them. Meplat looks smaller than it is. When I hold it up to the Magma 44-240-SWC the flat is the same diameter.

One advantage of the TC bullet is you get a long bearing surface for the bullet weight as compared to nose heavy designs.

I shot a box of fifty 240 grain swc today over 8.0 grains of Unique. Used to think that was a light load. Aargh. Have some 195 grain full wad cutters from a friends mold I’ll try over 9.0 grains of WW231. Maybe I just need to give in and buy some 44 Special cases.

I just shoot iron sights so can’t tell the difference between a 2.0 minute of angle boolit or a 3 MOA bullet. Plus never tried any boolit that was not popular. So have never shot a bullet in a 44 magnum that didn’t do well. I can’t do it anymore but there are shooters whom can take my Saeco 44-240-TC and shoot out the X ring at fifty yard on the Bullseye target. Until I read this thread I’d never thought a RNFP would do better in wind than a TC. Seams to me you’d have to use a heavier RNFP to get the same accuracy as from a TC then to retain your wind bucking velocity recoil would go up. It’s a rare shooter who can shoot heavy recoil as well as lesser recoil. At least to the level where you can make it up with greater wind bucking between a RNFP or a TC in a hand gun. But I've never tested them side by side.

gabby
    for 44 specals i just trim down 44 mags after thay have been used 5 times as mags
    and i then have a very strong case .
    load 4 gr bullseye and shoot away.
    kids love the load no recold.

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

crime dont pay as will as politics

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blaser.306 View Post
    Has anyone here cast/ shot/ any .44 tc boolits . I would like to know your opinion on the subject . how are they for accuracy and their ability to fight wind drift etc. the one that I am considering will be 250gr with about a .250-.255 meplat . Any and all opinions would be appreciated . thanks in advance
    Down thru the years, I've had both the 200g PB Saeco 448, and the 240g GC Saeco449, that are both TC designs. I never saw any increase in accuracy over swc or rnfp designs in my guns.

IMHO the meplat is too small for hunting, and the lack of a swc type shoulder makes the TC design a poor hole puncher in paper; a trait it shares with the rnfp, and others.

I've sold all my TC designed moulds with the exception of the SSK 300 PB that I've kept due to it's rarity. Oh, and it does shoot well outta my Ruger KS458N with "Hole in the Wall" sights.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!