Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best powder choice for 45/70

Quote Originally Posted by memtb View Post
    I can’t justify trying to improve on my results! memtb
    But it's the fun of trying to improve!

Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    But it's the fun of trying to improve!

�� You have a good point, but....I had the rifle for 4 years before I found the time to shoot it. Sometimes life has a way of getting in the way of Life! memtb

My favorite loads are
    12 grs Unique with an copper plated 350 grs boolit CCi large rifle primer and oal from 67,0 mm for 100 Meters;
    26 grs Lovex D060 (equivalent to 5744 I think) with copper plated 400 grs boolit for 300 Meters;
    or with the "Holy Black"and 520 grs boolit 56 grs of the switzer No 2 (3 Fg) oal 71,5mm even for 300 Meters.

The Unique load is soft but give me a good accuracy, but for longer distances the other loads are better.
    The D060 unfortunately leaves some unburned powder in the barrel but is verry accurate.
    My rifle is a Pedersoli Sporting Sharps Mod. 1874.

Reloaders be carefull and use load data at your own danger!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    3031 Always worked well for me. Be careful with slow powders. I had a lot of problems with incomplete burn when I experimented with them.

Boolit Buddy

just asking for my sister in law

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    My cousin is starting to load for his Marlin 1895G , he is wondering what would be a good powder choice for a 330gr to 350gr PP bullet.
    OP asked about: 330gr to 350gr PP bullet

Does the PP mean Paper Patched, and if so can a PP bullet be crimped in place? I have always been taught that a tube fed rifle needs its bullets crimped.

Just asking so I may understand life better.

chuck40219
    When I speak of:
    45-70: that is a 45-70 Uberti 1885 High Wall Rifle
    357 Mag. Rifle: that is a Uberti 1873 Carbine

Boolit Grand Master

That’s a good question. When I read the post, I thought the PP was referring to the +P high power type rounds. The paper patched rounds I fired in my Marlin, I chambered one at a time. I was also using BP with the cartridge full and compressed. There was no place for the boolit to go but forward. To my knowledge paper patched boolits are not usually crimped. If anything a light taper crimp. So maybe they are referring to paper patched, if so they are probably chambering one at ime.

Banned
    This is a 9-year-old thread, the OP is still around but the person who revived it was asking about 3031

Boolit Grand Master

It’s funny how old threads get revived. I don’t usually look at the original dates. Maybe I should.

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    There is no one "beat" powder for any cartridge. Many powders will work well in most applications.
    For 45-70 I like 2400 for mid level velocities. This means 1200 to 1500 for me. For slower I tend towards Trailboss. For faster I have used Benchmark, H335, Varget, 4895, H322, and RE 7 all with good results.
    2400 gets the mot use as it works well in a velocity range where I get good accuracy and low enough recoil to allow me to shoot as many rounds per day as I want. I don't shoot many 1500 fps plus loads as I don't need the velocity for range work. I will work up to them for hunting season but don't want the recoil much of the year.
    ^^^This^^^

45/70 is an extremely versatile cartridge to load for. I use 2400 almost exclusively with 400-430gr cast boolits. I use some of the other powders when I feel like trying to detach my retinas...but I mostly stay away from them. I see no reason to punish myself, or others

Edit: Wow, I got fooled as well. I read this entire first page and didn't look at the second until after I posted. Oops.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123