Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Freechex Aluminum Gas Checks

Problem with Freechex Aluminum Gas Checks

I ordered samples of Freechex .44 Cal gas checks awhile ago. The problem is, they don't stay on. I emailed them (Sageoutdoors from Ebay) told them about the problem and he sent two more sample packages of .0146 and .017 thickness chex. Same problem, they fall off after sizing or if they don't fall off a flick of a finger nail and off they come. Gater and Lyman work great. I have tried them on two Lyman bullets and a new LBT bullet. Any ideas other than just buying Gater Checks.

Boolit Master
    I make my own...when pressing down on the ram of your sizer/lube machine, when it has reached bottom give the handle an extra hard "jerk"....that works well for me most of the time. The aluminum has some "spring" to it...the sizer presses it onto the bullet shank but when the pressure is removed it tends to spring back a bit. Hornady uses copper that does not "spring" very much and it has a lip that bites into the bullet shank. If the check stays in the machine when you remove thebullet...use a pointed object (I use a long drywall screw) and push into a corner of the GC and pull up--it will come out w/o any damage...you can then manually seat it on the bullet or try another GC. I just push it manually on the bullet base.

take a measurement of the gas check shank on the bullet you are using and then measure the inside diameter of the Freechex gas check and that should tell you how over sized the check is and as why they will not crimp on to the check shank and also how thick the gas check material needs to be if the gap is not too large to crimp properly on the bullet. i make my own check makers and there was a lot of trial and error to figure out how to make them work properly. HTH
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick459; 07-29-2011 at 04:34 PM.

I had the same problem when I bought a Freechex II. Used .014" alum to make the gas checks and all were loose on three different 44 cal booolits that I cast. Sold it after week and tried Gator checks which fit tight on all my 44 boolits. So Gator for all my revolvers that I cast for. .357 mag., 41 mag., and 44 mag. I did order a 45 PB check maker from Pat.

I believe the problem is the variation in gas check shank diameters. Whilst .30cal seem very standard the .357, .41, .44 moulds appear to vary.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Grand Master

I was thinking the same as Jeff - the gas check shank might be small.

If so then you could either lap out the GC in the mould a bit or polish down the Freechex forming punch so it has slightly small diameter.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I have worked around the problem just try different types/sizes of aluminum stock..you can always use sheet copper, but it is much more expensive. If you have a Lee push through .429/.430 sizer die push the Freechex GC through it first then see if they are tighter on the bullet GC shank...

In the .44 Cal I use the 429215 the most and the GC would fall off. I carefully polished the bottom of the mold GC shank to make it a bit larger...they stay on now--I use .012" that I bought from Home Depot.

Vendor Sponsor
    Don't know what mould you are trying to use the checks on. But some years back I got a LBT mould with undersized check shanks. I contacted Veral and in his practical way he told me to take a xacto knife and slowly shave aluminum from the mould cavity in the gas check shank area. I did and it worked great. If you have a iron mould you might try lapping the shank area.

ammohead

Boolit Master

For the price of AL checks Vs. CU checks it's well worth a little tinkering.

Boolit Grand Master

You might also try annealing the aluminum to take out any spring back. If it is dead soft it will likely be tighter on the forming punch and also on the gas check shank.

It is worth a try anyway.

Boolit Bub
    I had the same problem with some of my 30 caliber boolits I just put some masking tape on the aliminum strips when I cut out the disk the tape will make the inside dia. smaller and will stick on the shank better. Work for me may be a cheap fix.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by drumgool View Post
    I had the same problem with some of my 30 caliber boolits I just put some masking tape on the aliminum strips when I cut out the disk the tape will make the inside dia. smaller and will stick on the shank better. Work for me may be a cheap fix.
    Aluminum foil is a bit easier to use...

I'm going to try annealing them, if that don't work I'm sticking with Gater checks.

The tape or aluminum foil as a filler sounds like good ideas in lieu of possibly messing up a perfectly good mold.

Just my 2c.

Slim
    Last edited by slim1836; 08-05-2011 at 06:05 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Never a problem!

The diameters of GC shanks vary a little. Also, most of them are tapered. The height of the check makes a difference, just like the diameter. Measure your shank. Measure your driving bands. Figure the difference in diameter. Calculate the thickness of check that you need to fill the gap & see what you have. That should give you a good idea of what is going on there. I usually like about .002-.003" of press fit on diameter when everything is squeezed together. I had good results making checks out of aluminum beer bottles.

Edit: You can see more on my adventures with aluminum gas checks that were punched with a home made tool here - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=45542&page=7
    Last edited by JIMinPHX; 08-06-2011 at 04:27 AM.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Buddy
    Mooching buddies gave me a nickels worth of Sage ALU 458 checks. I've had no reason to use them before now. Bottom line they solved my Keyholing problem in one rifle.

I have the same problem. Both Sage and Charlie that makes the Freechex III have sent me several different material samples. The only thing that works with my tools is .008 brass for the .357. I have not yet found anything perfect for the .44, but .014 alu stay on decently on the boolits of some of the molds, but not all. I am looking for .012 brass or something like it to try with next.

I ordered 30 cal checks from Vulcanchecks on Ebay. They are .014 alum. After seating with a Lee lube size they look great. My problem , when I tumble lube the boolits half the checks come off ?
    Anyone need about 1500 .014 alum 30 cal checks ? lol Guess I'm stuck.

In Remembrance
    I can't believe you activated these old post! Send me your shipping address in a private PM. I have a sample of 30 caliber checks that won't come off!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    I ordered 30 cal checks from Vulcanchecks on Ebay. They are .014 alum. After seating with a Lee lube size they look great. My problem , when I tumble lube the boolits half the checks come off ?
    Anyone need about 1500 .014 alum 30 cal checks ? lol Guess I'm stuck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast