WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Pin Guage set ????

Boolit Mold

Pin Guage set ????

Guys, I'm paying alot more attention to my revolver shooting and am trying different things to get max. accuracy. Now I'm thinking of getting a set of pin guages. Does anyone know about a reasonably priced set of pin guages in 357 ,44 and 45 cal.? Some guys think I'm wasting my time trying to get more from my guns cause I can shoot pretty well as is.I was told to think of something else.What else do guys think about???? Thanks,Glen

Boolit Master

I've wondered about pin gauges as well, as they seem like they could be handy. Some people find them at auctions cheap, but I haven't come across a deal like that and don't want to spend the money for a complete set most of which I'll be unlikely to need. Some only purchase the gauges they're likely to use, which can be had new for a few bucks apiece (http://www.gageshop.com/). A set of telescoping gauges and/or small hole gauges can be gotten, along with a micrometer, and that seems to do the trick for me, and may offer more versatility. I have a great used tool store I frequent, and there are often some decent machinist's tools on the shelf. Paid about $18 for each gauge set and twenty or thirty or less for a micrometer and it's all nice Starrett stuff.
    I'm assuming you're measuring cylinder throats and slugs.
    Sam

Boolit Buddy

Check out MSC. Lots of great stuff.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Boolit Master
    I got mine from Enco.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

For measuring throats and bores (but not grooves), nothing we hobbyists can afford beats pin gages. www.gageshop.com is my go-to. Pins are $2.50 each, and you can bracket your expected value by getting just six or eight. (For each nominal value, buy a "plus" and a "minus". For .38 / .357 throats I have ten. A whole $25 bucks, plus shipping. Just keep 'em clean and dry and they'll last two lifetimes. Amazing what you can learn when you can measure holes with such certainty.
    Cognitive Dissident

MSC usually has the best selection & a variety of qualities/prices available.

Enco usually has the lowest prices.

If you are just looking for a few specific sizes (.357, .451, etc) then it might be cheaper to have a local machine shop make up a few pins for you instead of buying a full set.

For certain sizes, you can buy "drill blanks" individually that are pretty darn accurate. They are available in a variety of fractional, letter & wire number sizes. For example, a "T" is .358". A "6" is .204". A chart showing standard letter, wire & fractional sizes can be found here - http://www.ncprogramming.com/drill_size_chart.html or here http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-drillsize.htm
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

I have bought several sets of gauge pins for really cheap on Ebay, and at auctions for machine shops closing up. They come in sets from nearly nothing to 1/16", then 1/16" to 1/4 inch, then 1/4 to 1/2, and on up. Obviously the 1/16 to 1/4 and the 1/4 to 1/2 are the ones you want for doing most guns. Also keep in mind you can get various levels of precision for a price, and also get plus or minus sets. I use the minus sets and get the best results out of them. They are .0001 to .0002 less than the indicated hole size, so if a hole is what the pin says they will slide in. These are tools I use every day and would be lost without them. It's amazing the number of uses you find for them once you have them to use!

Boolit Man

If you want a whole set, this is what I've used for a few years now:
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Stee...pc-Minus/G9794

Neat thing is, you can "charge" you buddies one of your favorite beverages to gauge their firearms as well...

Regards, Ron

Boolit Master
    RWSEM, that is the one I have and it have been very useful to me.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by rwsem View Post
    If you want a whole set, this is what I've used for a few years now:
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Stee...pc-Minus/G9794

Neat thing is, you can "charge" you buddies one of your favorite beverages to gauge their firearms as well...

Regards, Ron
    Six chambers, six bottles in a six-pack, coincidence? I think NOT!