RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BP Lube

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnut14 View Post
    Shot my 71/84 Mauser with BP Monday.
    I use Emmerts lube as a cookie with my PP boolits.
    I am not one of the chosen few BP shooters as I do not own a Sharps,Remington, Ballard ,or Pedersoli so I am bannished to the other end of the range away from the "Holy Black Shooters".
    One problem you need to get shed of is that 'victim attitude'.
    You have a rifle that pleases you, and you choose to shoot black powder loads in it.

To say that, because it is not a BPCR-style rifle, you allow yourself to be "banished" to a particular area shows a meekness that is unseemly in a man who shoots a tough guy rifle like a MAUSER.

Shoot where ever there is an open bench. And, if the single-shot crowd gives you heartburn, offer to load yours one round at a time ... so they don't feel handicapped.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Our Range Master advises the nitro guy's that the range welcomes and actually appreciates black powder enthusiasts-----------he claims that black powder smoke is the best SKEETER CONTROL he's ever seen

Charlies right. You have every right to be there and don't let that turd chaser make you feel bad about what rifle you shoot. I have Sharps rifles myself but I would think your rifle is even more of an interesting historic piece and I would like to see it if I was at your range. Next time just sit right next to them and smile as you stink them out with that skunky black powder.
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

Boolit Master

A couple months back, I was shooting my 38-55 Highwall and noticed the quartering crosswind was blowing my smoke directly across the position immediately to my left (the last bench on the west end of the firing line). Thinking to be neighborly, I asked the shooter if he'd like to swap spots. The guy just looked up, sorta shrugged, and said; "Thanks, but I kinda like the smell." then went back to reloading mags for his H&K.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Seth,
    Aparently it was the wrong kind of smoke.
    I use Goex and they use Swiss.
    Now that mixed with the emmerts lube creates far too much smoke and smell.

I think the whole problem was where I was shooting from.
    They shoot where the prevailing wind blows the smoke away from them.
    Where I was shooting from the wind blows the smoke right at them and they couldn't stand it that someone makes as much smoke as they do.
    But being as I do not shoot a Sharps I am not invited to join them in "Gods Country"

gunnut14
    I shoot Goex at Mid Range and Swiss at Long Range. I never noticed any difference in smell or amount of smoke. Sounds to me like this guy thinks his dookie don't stink. If this is a club and you are not volilating any rules I would say shoot where you please and if he bothers you again tell him to get stuffed. If you're anywhere near the north east let me know where you shoot and my buddies and I would be proud to shoot with you.

The other possibility is the guy's wife runs his life and he's trying to make up for not being able to control anything at home so he trys to make rules at the gun club. Seen that a few times before.

BTW I have a lot of different rifles, I have nice BPCR rifles, match rifles, some collectable rifles and I sincerely wish I had a Mauser like yours. I'm jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondawg View Post
    I was saddened to read your post. I am new to BPCR shooting and have been using homemade Emmert's lube with complete satisfaction. I use the modified formula, with 5% olive oil and 5% lanoline. It seems to shoot fine, smells like honey, I don't get any leading and my rounds are more accurate than I can generally hold. Several of the long time BP shooters in my club also use and swear by Emmert's.

I read your post and learned that I am not BP-PC, because of my lube, but I have too much of it made up to switch. We have a couple of shooters that shoot original trapdoor springfields in the long barrel infantry model. They are their rifles are well accepted. No one has a BP early mauser bolt gun, but I am sure they and their rifle would be welcomed, as long as it belched white smoke.

Might this rude unfriendly person who approached you be one of them Yankees? I would hate to think one of our Southern gentlemen could be so crass and crude.
    YANKEE ??? im bout as much a northerner as is possible and yep...proud YANKEE !! if i were anywhere near where this (edit) is shooting his mouth about bp smoke...id help you teach some old fashioned Alaska manners.

im hoping that north or south...manners and some small amount of respect will continue to prevail over the dinks of the world.........
    Last edited by waksupi; 08-01-2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Language. Watch it.

Boolit Bub
    Yankee? Isn't that like a quickie only you can do it your self? I have run into allot of shooters out there that think if they bad mouth you or your equipment it shows how smart they are. I usually remind them that that kind of **** could be hazardous to there heath and they will leave me alone. Mostly I just ignore them. Load that thing with what ever you want as long as its safe and shoot it and have fun.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    I am affraid that I would have been tempted to wait until the wind was just right, and then go rapid fire, make a cloud of smoke so bad they couldn't see their front sight. Or just tell him to get stuffed. Most of the time when I start shooting my Spagetti Hiwall, the other shooters just laugh. Most of them think that I have lost my mind.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

range

When we have a range session we have several of the smokeless guys that quit so that they may come down and watch while asking questions. I do the same as many of you and see which way the wind is blowing and try to be a good neighbor. I told some shooters down the line that I was sorry when a big wind shift hit the firing ling. They all laughed and said , Please don't stop we are enjoying the show. Several even replied that they wished they had the nerve to shoot BP. This has helped me start 3 new shooters in the last 9 months.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    A couple months back, I was shooting my 38-55 Highwall and noticed the quartering crosswind was blowing my smoke directly across the position immediately to my left (the last bench on the west end of the firing line). Thinking to be neighborly, I asked the shooter if he'd like to swap spots. The guy just looked up, sorta shrugged, and said; "Thanks, but I kinda like the smell." then went back to reloading mags for his H&K.

Bill
    Bill,

I have to laugh, I had the same conversation a decade ago, only I was the smokeless shooter.

-HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Buddy

After shooting several rounds one of the BP shooters came and asked what lube I was using.
    I told him and he went into a disertation on the problems with emmerts lube (ie excess smoke. contaminats in the air, lack of power from my powder , and then asked me to change lube so as not to affect the other shooters.
    Another perfect example of the Pussyfication of many American males!

I been using a mineral wax now for two years and I will never go back to using B-Wax again.
    It just about replaced the tallow lube I been using that was better then any of the B wax mixes.

Why not simply offer to shoot whatever lubed boolits he will provide? This should save the expense of lead, tin and lube.
    Last edited by wills; 08-15-2011 at 03:53 PM.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master

That guy would have a heart attack if he was around when I am shooting. I load Blackpowder for my Smith 57 in .41 Magnum, Ruger Bisley BH in .44 Special and my Ruger BH in .45 Colt.

A few cylinders done in rapid fire with those three and then a few single shots with my Winchester 1885 50-90 BPCR will really toast his butt big time.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    If that "overly refined gentleman" ever goes to the Quigley shoot, he better hope he doesn't shoot next to Bobw (from over at shiloh rifle forums.) Bob shoots a 50/140 with a 500 grain paper patch boolit and about 140 grains of 1F...in a 10 pound rifle! He runs the wimps and rattlesnakes off the firing line right now..and takes great delight in doing so. BUT he can't scare me 'cause I shoot a 50/90 and I'm close to being industrially deaf.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12