Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jon-e hand Warmer Usage

Boolit Master

Jon-e hand Warmer Usage

Hi all,

I have been going through some stuff that was given to me 20 years ago and found 2 of these. It has been about half as long since I have used them. anybody else use them? Anybody got a set of instructions?

i did a search and it looks like outers is now tte marketer/maker. No instructions on their site. I did find another site that had a lttle info. It also looks like ZIPPO is making a smaller version currently.

I just thought it would be interesting to see what others have to say about the old standby.
    Last edited by scrapcan; 01-15-2007 at 12:11 AM.

Boolit Master
    Fill it full of white gas/ Coleman fuel, put the wick type thingy back on, light it up, put it in its little pouch or wrap up in a wash cloth, keeps you warm all day. At least you can thaw out a hand when deer hunting or ice fishing. They were heavily used while growing up in Michigan. Duckiller

Boolit Master
    I've still got mine around here somewhere. Haven't used it in years. I thot you could use lighter fluid? That's about the same as Coleman fuel. Sucker would really warm up a pocket. Never did quite figure out how it ran w/o a steady ample supply of oxygen.....................

Appears you can still find them if you look, here is one
    http://www.safetycentral.com/jonhanwarac.html
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Grand Master

It's been years, but I used them a lot in the Boy Scouts growing up. Instructions called to use lighter fluid and then turn the case upside down and shake it vigorously to ensure there was no liquid fuel to leak out of the case.

Do not just fill it with gas and set fire to it.

Boolit Grand Master

As it turns out, I have a half a can of genuine Jon-e Warmer Fluid. There are instructions on the back of the can:

1) Remove the burner. Pour fluid into absorbent in base of Jon-e until saturated.

2) IMPORTANT! (emphasis on the can) Turn upside down and vigorously shake out all excess fluid.

3) Replace burner. Stand warmer on table in draft free room. Ignite red wick. Let it burn for 1 minute.

4) Blow out flame. Replace cover. Allow to stand 4-5 minutes without handling. Place in carrying bag.

Boolit Master

Old can shows the same

I found my empty can of fluid also, the isntructions on it read the same. It was in the box for the large unit. The price on the box which was large enough for the can and the large warmer shows $2.35. Nodate on the box or the price sticker.

Since it has been very cold here (no ice storms though), I thought it was time to talk about things that warm you up.

I also have an old coleman heater that appears to be a catalytic type heater. It is OD green, but no instructions. I have not had it out for a while either, maybe it is a good thing to keep these things close at hand.

Boolit Master

i noticed that one of mine is a Peacock hand warmer. Looks like they are still made across the pond.

http://www.peacockhandwarmers.co.uk/use.html

I know the one I have is atleast 20 years old as that is roughly when the guy that gave it to me passed away.

I found some patents while searching that shows a similar catalytic type handwarmer in teh early 1900's, and the particular concept of the Jon-e about 1948.

Banned

I still have three of them but haven't needed them here in WV. Coleman fuel works great in them.
    I miss the Deer-Coy buck lure they made. I would squeeze some in a scrape and before I got all the way in the stand, there would be a buck in the scrape. It would make a herd of doe's run in from 50 yd's downwind right now. I can't count the deer I arrowed with that stuff and wish I would have bought 5 cases of it. It beats every other deer lure ever made by such a wide margin it should have been illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I still have three of them but haven't needed them here in WV. Coleman fuel works great in them.
    I miss the Deer-Coy buck lure they made. I would squeeze some in a scrape and before I got all the way in the stand, there would be a buck in the scrape. It would make a herd of doe's run in from 50 yd's downwind right now. I can't count the deer I arrowed with that stuff and wish I would have bought 5 cases of it. It beats every other deer lure ever made by such a wide margin it should have been illegal.
    A very generous member of this board mailed me a couple to try here in the bitter Montana winters (occasional -20 F temps). Unfortunatly, they don't seem to stay lit very well for me. I think it may be the high altitude/ low oxygen here at 5000+ feet. I may go back and try the coleman fuel in them.

Kev

Boolit Master

Have had same issue

KevMT,

I have had the same issue and was one of the reasons for starting this thread. Hpoe someone has some ideas.

Boolit Master
    last time i looked sportsmans wharerhouse still stocks them here in the denver metro area.... i got one sitting right behind me....but have not used it so no answer....
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KevMT View Post
    A very generous member of this board mailed me a couple to try here in the bitter Montana winters (occasional -20 F temps). Unfortunatly, they don't seem to stay lit very well for me. I think it may be the high altitude/ low oxygen here at 5000+ feet. I may go back and try the coleman fuel in them.

Kev
    I used mine just a couple days ago and it stayed lit just fine using lighter fluid. I live at 5000 feet. Mebe you need a new wick. Anyone know where they're obtainable? Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Banned

They have to be kept in a pocket or they will go out. Too much fuel can also put them out. They are very touchy but once you learn how to work them, they are very nice.

Mine seems to run fine on lighter fluid
    I have a Wally world one pretty flimsy,
    bought my Dad one from Cabelas genny Joni
    both work with Ronson fluid

I dug mine up today after 23 some years of non-use. Actually that could be longer if you include the manufacturing process and how long it sat on the store shelf, because I never remember it actually working. Perhaps it seemed like a good idea at the time to buy it, but after realizing the smell it gave off I never carried it hunting.

But today I decided it would be nice for trips to the range in the cold weather so I dug it up. Yup, looked brand new; not a scratch and the red cloth bag was still clean and bright red. I filled it with some Ronson lighter fluid that was on the shelf and tried lighting it in the garage so I could go out and burn the trash. Just didn’t seem to work though. After I was done outside I tried a few more attempts to light it, but the flame kept going out so I set it on the metal workbench and went in the house to make some rice. While in the process of making rice, I needed to log into the forum and check on some pointers for making the rice and while logged in, I also read the directions in this thread.

After reading the directions I figured that I would give the hand warmer another chance. I had been in the house for almost 2 hours when I came out to try the proper process for lighting the hand warmer. I picked up the idle hand warmer and found it was working fine!! Apparently you need to leave it set in the garage and go in the house to make some rice. Well, looks like the cold weather is heading this way, I’m off for some white gas and then to the Chinese market for a 50lb bag of rice.
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

Everyone realizes there is a difference between white gas (Naptha) and gasoline right?

I'd hate to see anyone get hurt...

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Everyone realizes there is a difference between white gas (Naptha) and gasoline right?

I'd hate to see anyone get hurt...
    Sure, I know the difference between white gas and gasoline. White gas cost $3.96 + tax. Gasoline was $2.27 today at the pump. I don't know about getting hurt, I'm pretty sure with the amount used, that even I can afford the white gas.
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Master

Couple of items

Just wanted to say that in the past the ones I have have been used alot at 6000ft elevation all the way up to 10,000 plus. I seem to be having some trouble after they have set idel for so many years keeping them operating in the bag. Does the catalyst get in a state of sooting or need replacement over time?

Parts for the Jon-e are available form outers or outers distributors. In the case of Sportsman's Warehouse if they sell the unit they probably sell the parts. The peacock brand unit mentioned earlier has parts available also.

Need more info on the use of Coleman fuel. Is coleman fuel actually naptha or is it a blend? Has anyone seen the msds for coleman fuel, Jon-e brand fuel, Ronson lighter fuel? Just wondering if they are the same chemical mix or if this could be the problem I am having. I have a can of zippo lighter fluid and it is a synthetic, it works.

And the mention of the handwarmer in the pocket on the way to the range was one thought. But We also have horses and like to spend time in the barn, this makes it much more bearable when we are below zero. The barn keeps the wind off and the handwarmer keeps the fingers nimble.

Anyway nice to see others use still.
    Last edited by scrapcan; 01-22-2007 at 11:58 AM. Reason: edits for spelling

Boolit Master

I had a chance to look at the Jon-e warmer yesterday and it looks like the cotton filler had compacted. I pulle dit up and fluffed a bit and filled the warmer. Started it up and it works better than it had. I was condering if it allowed more capillary action to move fuel to the catalyst?

Anyway it may be something to try if things are not working as designed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast