MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who makes Corbins Jackets?? - cos its not Corbin!

Boolit Buddy

Who makes Corbins Jackets?? - cos its not Corbin!

I have a box of 'Corbin' VB jackets

The label ont he end has been 1/2 cut away to get rid of a brand name.
    Under that label is a sticker for AMAX and on the backside of the 'Corbin' name is the backing for SST
    Under the 'corbin' is XTP

Top of box has label removed also - and box has 'Not for Resale' on it

So in order from top to bottom 4 layers - same stickers obviously added as the box has been designated for jackets

Corbin
    XTP
    SST
    Amax

Safe to say they are Hornady Jackets? made by Hornady or????

I'll post pics up when I get a chance - interesting though

I know the jackets from the mid 90’s were all J4...

Finding a contractor for jackets must be difficult...
    Just fold copper on lead...

Buying them from someone who's already making them in mass quantities certainly makes sense...

Boolit Master

Has anyone looked at Sierra.

They offer rifle jackets on their web site. Might sell handgun jackets if anyone offered to buy enough.

See:

https://www.sierrabullets.com/index....bullet_jackets

Last time I was there they were all avalilable. Today only .30 cal.

In Remembrance
    Well their is more than one way of looking at this. In all honesty those jackets probably are made somewhere else, using a well known name demands higher prices. Without someone at the upper end of the food chain verifying it you'll never really know.

Sometimes to cut costs in todays market their is also the remote possibility that the box those jackets came in where seconds. If a person were to purchase enough of them the savings for the company would be nothing to sneeze at. I guarantee that Corbin doesn't make those boxes, they just order from someone that makes boxes.

williamwaco: I hit that link and almost fell over from sticker shock. I must be waaaaay behind the times, they want just under 33cents each. I know I haven't bought any factory stuff in a long time but .
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 07-27-2011 at 04:53 PM.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master
    The jackets I got from Larry Blackmon look exacly like the ones I have got from Corbin.

I doubt they are Hornady jackets. My guess is that there is a jacket maker out there who has agreed to sell without revealing their name and doesn't want to get into selling a 1000 here and there to guys like us, but many many thousands or more to some that resell them.

In Remembrance

Actually, if you hit the Extra Info link, they say that the price is per thousand (two 500 pc boxes). Still, that's 16 cents each!

I'll make mine (30 cal) from 5.7X28 brass.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post

williamwaco: I hit that link and almost fell over from sticker shock. I must be waaaaay behind the times, they want just under 33cents each. I know I haven't bought any factory stuff in a long time but .

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Having seen corbin pricing, I expect the US mint is their source.

In Remembrance
    Yep your right Duke, shoulda paid close attention to that. But still .16ea for a jacket? It will be a cold day in H*LL before I do that.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

Boolit Buddy
    You can see where the rest of the sticker has been removed

Sticker on Sticker

Back of other sticker

Sticker moved with 'Not for resale' under it - also has 'Not for Resale' on side of box

It stands to reason that a external company making jackets for Hornady wouldnt put trademark 'R' symbols after a name - let alone the fact many people have seent he jacket making machines on factory tours there.
    Last edited by Spanners; 07-27-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Very interesting.

Corbin label has the lot number just cut off.

Boxes do cost money, the fact that there are three labels and all three have internal control numbers on them show a single origin.

The other labels are for bullets, not just jackets, and are intended to go to a second location for loading into cartridges, the labels are what I would expect for a contractor.

A “made in” would also be interesting, while looking over information for deep draw copper I came across at least 30 asian based companies that will tool up for making jackets if the numbers are there.

Corbin jackets used to be made from pure copper up until last year .
    Now if you go on his website and look for jackets and prices it says they are made of gilding metal ,so my guess is he buys them from someone who is big enough to buy the gilding metal to make them.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe he's just re-using boxes, and the labels and stamps have nothing to do with jackets. I re-use boxes all the time, and either use a marker or a label to cover over any existing labels or marks so that I don't lose track of what's actually in the box.
    Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Semper Fi -

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Hawkins View Post
    Maybe he's just re-using boxes, and the labels and stamps have nothing to do with jackets. I re-use boxes all the time, and either use a marker or a label to cover over any existing labels or marks so that I don't lose track of what's actually in the box.
    Actually if you look at the labels it is clear that the manufacturer of the bullets in the covered labels are the same with the same internal type of manufacturer’s numbers.

The jackets are made by whoever also makes the bullets listed on the label.

The boxes may have been re-used or just mis-labled but the labels are clearly not of corbin origin.

Now the question is, could we find a manufacturer of jackets that we could then make a group buy from to bring the price down to a reasonable level?

When I checked out some of corbin’s supplies I calculated that he marks up his supply business at least 300% some items are actually x 8...

I guess I need to look into the swage supply business.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Prepper View Post
    Actually if you look at the labels it is clear that the manufacturer of the bullets in the covered labels are the same with the same internal type of manufacturer’s numbers.

The jackets are made by whoever also makes the bullets listed on the label.

The boxes may have been re-used or just mis-labled but the labels are clearly not of corbin origin.

Now the question is, could we find a manufacturer of jackets that we could then make a group buy from to bring the price down to a reasonable level?

When I checked out some of corbin’s supplies I calculated that he marks up his supply business at least 300% some items are actually x 8...

I guess I need to look into the swage supply business.

EXACTLY!
    I would buy a 'few' - I think 100,000 should be no probs to move between a few of us, maybe ALOT more if price was right.

In Remembrance
    I would imagine IF you could find someone to make those you would have to know a foreign language. I wouldn't even try to look in this country, when I would quote a job in a job shop other countries already had you out bid before you even bought the material.

Annealing Services

Boolit Master

I've looked into setting up a bullet jacket business before and the 95/5 alloy (guilding metal) isn't the problem, it's the presses and tooling that will hold tolerances to .0003! If you can't hold that tight a tolerance for your jackets, you aren't in the running. The more you dig into it, the more you wonder how J4 and Sierra can make their jackets to that standard and sell them as cheap as they do.

My son in law has a fishing lure business and uses an extruded chamber almost like a bullet jacket to make a sound chamber. In fact when we were prototyping his lure used a 6MM jacket for that purpose. He found an extruder in the US to make the chambers for $.018 each in 1,000,000 lots. He then looked outside the US and found an extruder in China that does them for $.02 in 100K lots. Want to guess where his chambers are made?

FWIW: J4 used to start their decent price breaks at 100K, and that is not a real big order to a custom bullet maker! If you want to get a stateside extruder's attention you'll need to think in lots MUCH larger than that.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    I would imagine IF you could find someone to make those you would have to know a foreign language. I wouldn't even try to look in this country, when I would quote a job in a job shop other countries already had you out bid before you even bought the material.
    Actually english is the standard international language of business at the moment.

Boolit Man

Are we determined to buy American?

My wife has a small casting (not bullets) business. She created a website to show off her products. She received an email from a Chinese casting company willing to partner with her to make her castings.

If there is an interest in using one of my former "areas of interest", I can try and get the person that sent my wife the email to have a shell maker contact me....

That would be rich. The federal government sells expended brass scrap to China and we would be buying copper back from China... Wonder who is getting rich off of whom....

Another excuse to get my FFL.....

Ed

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post

If there is an interest in using one of my former "areas of interest", I can try and get the person that sent my wife the email to have a shell maker contact me....

That would be rich. The federal government sells expended brass scrap to China and we would be buying copper back from China... Wonder who is getting rich off of whom....

Ed
    Kinda makes a person wonder how a manufacturer so far away can ship from overseas to point of destination and still be cheaper than a company in your own state.

And it would be an interesting prospect to investigate further into that (Order from overseas). I was thinking of doing that and did some research on something totally unrelated to this. Got as for as needing an import broker and said the heck with it.

Annealing Services