Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1881 Marlin in .45-70 Needs Barrel or Lining

Boolit Grand Master

1881 Marlin in .45-70 Needs Barrel or Lining

I was given an 1881 Marlin that has seen some better days. The action is in decent shape but the barrel is rusted out with rifling barely visible and lots of pits. Also, it is missing the wood.

So, I guess I was given part of an 1881 Marlin.

Anyway, I am debating what to do with it. It would be nice to make it into a shooter again whether .45-70 or other caliber.

Obviously it could be re-barreled and I could probably find or make a buttstock and forearm for it.

I am more interested in having the barrel lined preferably in .45-70 but I am not sure there is enough meat in the original barrel to bore it for a .45-70 liner.

Does anyone know if this can be done or who can advise?

Even if .45-70 is not doable, maybe it could be lined and chambered to a smaller caliber. That would at least retain the original octagon barrel.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Longbow

Yes I believe it can be done on your existing barrel. I don't think the actual liner is that thick in the walls. The actual wall thickness of the liner does not need to be much more than about .02-.030 as it is completely supported by the barrel.

If you get a current copy of either Rifle or Handloader magazine there is several guys who advertise this service.

Some just rebore and some reline, obviously there is a difference and you need the outfit that relines.

I have considered having my .44 mag Marlin relined with, a 1in20 twist liner.

Either that or buying a.357 or .41 barrel and havin it rebored. Probably won't do either, but it is something to think about.

Your's is a much more interesting project.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

I got hold of Redman's Rifling and Reboring but he doesn't do the .45-70 so I will have to look for someone else.

I did some internet surfing this morning but didn't find any info on the 1881 and reboring/lining.

Since the action is long for .45-70, if I change caliber I would likely go with something like .40-60 or similar.

I will keep checking.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Have you shot it yet?

Sometimes crappy looking bores shoot very good.

Boolit Grand Master

No, I have not shot it as it has no wood.

The bore is not just bad, it is really, really bad. Not sure about the chamber but will try to get a look into it.

The rest of the action appears to be in quite reasonable shape. I suspect it was used little and never cleaned at all then left with BP fouling in it.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

I might be able to get a new barrel on it but it is a tapered octagon barrel so may be hard to duplicate without significant expense.

Mind you, if it is being restored to shooting condition rather than restored to original condition that may not apply.

Green Mountain has tapered octagon barrels in Winchester profiles so that my be the same or at least close.

Not sure about the frame. It seems very slim with not a lot of room for even .45-70 so I would hazard a guess at medium frame. Is the frame size identified any way? Does the serial number identify the frame size?

All I have is barreled receiver with full length mag tube ~ no other "bits".

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Oh yes, it is a complete receiver with all the guts and they appear to be in quite good shape with little wear.

Check out John Taylor, a member here. He has relined a 95 Win. for me and the job is first rate. Contact:

Taylor Machine
    14119 Military Rd E.
    Puyallup, WA 98374
    253-445-4073

john@johntaylormachine.com

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range GARCIA's Avatar
    Been toying with the same idea on a newer Marlin/Winchester.
    Found these for you.

I did have McGowen reline a 1886 Winchester years ago.
    That thing is down right scary accurate!!
    Might check with them also.

Tom

Classic Barrel & Gunworks
    339 Grove Av.
    Prescott, Az. 86301
    http://cutrifle.com/
    928-772-4060

Redmans Rifling and Reboring
    Randall Redman
    189 Nichols Rd.
    Omak, Wa. 98841
    509-826-5512

Siegrist Gun Shop
    Al Siegrist
    8752 Turtle Rd.
    Whittemore, Mi. 48770
    989-873-3929

Starlight Enterprises
    Randy Selby
    PO Box 221
    Wapiti Wy. 82450
    307-587-3581

Sonny France
    4932 Grandview
    Okemos Mi 48864
    517-349-4532

Norm Johnson
    243 4th Av NW
    Turtle Lake ND 58575
    701-448-9188

Taylor Machine ,John Taylor
    14119 Military Rd E.
    Puyallup, WA 98374
    john@johntaylormachine.com
    253-445-4073
    http://www.johntaylormachine.com

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range GARCIA's Avatar
    Last edited by GARCIA; 11-21-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Howdy Longbow
    I have used Taylor´s and have been very happy with his excellent work.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    longbow,

Sounds like you need to identify whether it's a large frame or small frame 1881. You need the large frame for 45-70 or 40-60(barrel@reciever 1.120"). Small frame is 38-55/32-40(barrel@reciever.988")

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Master
    Bill,

check post#7 he's not sure???
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Grand Master

Jon K:

If being .45-70 means it has to be a large frame then so it is. I wasn't sure whether they were available in .45-70 in large and small frame is all. It is original in .45-70 and is so marked on the barrel.

If I can get it lined and retain .45-70, that is what I would prefer to do.

GARCIA:

Thanks for all the addresses and links!

I have tried Redman but he doesn't do .45-70.

I had looked for others but hadn't found any specifics so far. I have some places to check out now!

Wood shouldn't be a problem to have shipped to Canada but I am not sure about the gun being shipped to the States and back so will have to check on that one. While Canadian gun laws are rather strict, it is not a problem to import ammunition, reloading supplies or gun parts. However, it is an issue for US companies to export and many will not export anymore.

As far as I know as long as they have an FFL they are good to go. Not sure exactly how it may apply to a gun owned by a non-citizen (me) when shipped for repair/modification.

Not much is easy anymore.

Got some work to do here now to check out these contacts and shipping.

Thanks for all the replies.

Longbow

Boolit Master

The last gun I tried to ship to Canada got seized by U.S. customs. They were ready to throw me in jail for exporting without an export license even tho the rifle came from Canada to be worked on. Took almost 6 months to get the rifle back to the owner and I got a one time waiver from the state dept and didn't end up in jail. Now I'm "gun shy" about working on anything from out of the U.S. The new homeland security has changed the laws and it has hurt business.
    I have installed liners on the 1881 and also have made new barrels for the same.

Boolit Grand Master

John:

That is what I was afraid of. Oddly, our gun laws in Canada are much stricter than what you have in the States... generally. However, under the new Homeland Security rules it can be very difficult to export anything firearms related from the US and many companies simply won't now.

I was informed several years ago that it was illegal for me to buy reloading supplies in the States but when I asked at stores, US Customs and even Homeland Security I was told "No problem". Then I got a copy of an ATF document from 2002 that says it is illegal for a non US citizen to take ammunition, reloading supplies, even empty brass out of the country! It is not illegal for me to import into Canada, this is a US law preventing non US citizens from taking ammunition, etc. out of the country.

Also, it is illegal for US citizen to export firearms, reloading supplies, even boolits out of the country without an FFL ~ this even applies to empty brass!

So as a for instance, if one of you fine folks offered to send me some boolits to test, you would be in violation of a US federal law unless you have an FFL.

I am not sure what the purpose of these rules are, but that is the way it is.

Good to know the 1881 can be lined though so thanks for that. Where is another matter.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

I think if I order a barrel or liner from a US company I can have it shipped but I may not be able to drive down and pick it up myself. Kinda weird that way.

A friend of mine has a small gunshop here and he could not order me a scope mount from the States without filling out (and paying substantial cost) a whole bunch of US government documents. I cannot go to the States and pick it up because it is considered a "gun enhancement" but I ordered through Brownells and it arrived no problem. Go figure!

I have heard of Canadians buying items like scopes and shotgun barrels in the States then being stopped at a Homeland Security check point on the way back to the border and having these things confiscated.

They are perfectly legal to bring into Canada, they just cannot be exported by a non US citizen.

Not sure exactly how the rules apply and exactly what all they apply to.

Once I cast a bunch of shotgun slugs for a friend in New Jersey and took them to Washington State (about 45 minute drive) to mail them because the USPS is soooo much cheaper than Canada Post. I stopped in at US customs and showed them because I was leaving them in the country. All they cared about was taxes being paid but let it slide because this was just 25 or so slugs. This was after the ATF rules (which I didn't know about at the time) ~ though I was not leaving the country with them so maybe okay? I don't know.

I am easily confused by bureaucracy.

Longbow

Banned

What a pain in the butt.

Your government at work helping lives daily.

Boolit Master
    Longbow, I know this is an old thread but how did your project turn out. I know where there is a similar 1881 for sale locally. It too has a rough bore, is 45-70, and has no wood or mag tube. Its just calling my name to get it back in shooting order.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master
    For those in the USA a wide range of excellent quality liners are available from www.trackofthewolf.com , including .45-70 in 5/8in. diameter. They have now stopped exporting them, though.

The Marlin 81 is best kept in the original chambering. It has pretty much the same locking system as the Marlin 39A rimfire, and isn't nearly as strong as the Winchester 86. Here it is on my 92 .32 rimfire. I wouldn't line it for a smaller caliber which relies on higher pressure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marlin 1892 action.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	135752
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marlin 1892 action.JPG  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast