RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: Rossi 92 .357 sight help

Rossi 92 .357 sight help

My Wife bought me a new Rossi 92, she and I went to the range today and shot it for the first time. It shot great, though when shooting at 25 yds it was 6” high and at least 4” high at 50 yds. I had the rear sight as low as it would go. We didn't try 100 yds so not sure were point of aim is there yet, when shooting 38's they were hitting near the same as the .357's.

I can hold low and be on target fine, but I prefer to shoot point of aim. Or at least close to it for hunting purpose, which is what I plan to use it for.

Any ideas on what to do with the sights, the sights are factory sights. I am wondering if Steve Young's peep would get the rear sight low enough?

Thanks Jeff
    Last edited by wvmedic; 07-26-2011 at 07:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    There are a couple easy solutions that I have used.
    Check to see if the rear site blade is still holding the rear sight up.. remove the adjuster.
    If you are using a center bullseye front site picture try a 6 o´clock site picture.
    If this is a home brew load increase velocity (if safe) about 100 fps. The rifle is probably rough regulated for for higher speed .357 load. Or try a lighter wieght projectile.
    Try to take a slighly harder pull of the rifle into the shoulder. This will tend to hold the barrel down under recoil.
    You can expoxy a thin brass wire to the top of the front site.
    You can purchase a taller front site.
    And if all that fails send it along to me and I will happily do it all for you.. Been looking for a caliber .357 down here.. saw 1 once 10 years ago.
    Peep sights generally need a taller front site also.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    You can get yourself a higher front sight and without having to modifiy a sight the best place to look is with Steve. I order some sights from Midway for my 454 Casull Rossi but can't remember what height. I also changed up the rear sight to this one so I could easily adjust both the elevation and the windage.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=986064

I had a similar problem and went to the Skinner and it seemed to solve the problem. You will like the Skinner. If you go that route I suggest the regular aperture it comes with and get the smallest one for load development. I went larger and I am now going to order the smallest aperture for target work.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

sight

Go to the site of Steves Gunz and talk with him about another site set. He sells them to the cowboy shooters. Try looking if it is shown the flat leaf rear and the front with the .450 height with a .130 brass round sight.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Thanks for the replies, I measured my front sight and it is .395 above the barrel. Just wanted to throw that out to see if it helps.

cajun shooter I just sent Steve an E-Mail, tried calling him but got a message that he is having health problems. The lady on the recording said he would answer his mail.

Jeff

Boolit Master

Front sight heights are measured from the base of the sight in the dovetail. You can purchase just about any sight height you desire from places like Brownells. Here are some front sights with different heights.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...FLE_SIGHT_BEAD
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

fecmech, thanks for the info. I have used open sights very little, so that helped. My new measurement is .510.

I will check Brownell's, I will shoot it at 100 yards then do some figures to see what hight the new sight will need to be. I want some combination of sight that I can shoot point of aim out to about 125 yards and still be in the vitals on a Deer, if that is possible.

Jeff
    NAHC Life Member, WV Citizens Defense Lague, NRA. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    wvmedic:

What boolits were you shooting, i.e. weight in particular? The light ones will hit higher vs heavier ones so if you are planning on hunting make sure to use the boolit weight intended for hunting so you know what your gun is going to do at close range and on out to your 125 yard distance.

As an example, my 454 Casull lever with 230 grain plinkers that my wife shoots will go 6-7 inches high in comparison to the 340 grain business load I shoot. I have my wife a Rossi 92 45 Colt coming so we don't have to move the sights all the time or have her aim at the bottom of targets etc. The Rossi 45 Colt will also wear the same rear sight as what I put on mine but have a bit higher fiber optic front sight. The thing about sights though is if your rifle is the round barrel version with the dovetail cut just behind the barrel/magazine band then most sights will have to be modified to fit or to clear the band (many sights will extend out to far and will need ground/filed from the bottom for clearance).

Here is the Marble's fiber optic sight I worked over.

Also Rossi has had some dovetails cut in their rifle barrels that have been a bit wide for a standard sight. I used strands of stainless steel scrubbing pad to make the sight fit tight and then used a brass punch to drift to center.

Well RobS you bring up a point that I forgot to mention. I hope no one beats me up, I haven't started casting for the Rossi yet. So we were shooting Remington 130 grain FMJ .38 and Federal 158 grain JSP in .357.

I just looked and there appears to be about an eighth of an inch between the dovetail and the band.

Jeff

Boolit Master
    I have several Rossi carbines and the one I fiddled with the most is my 45 colt one. Mine has the front sight on the front band and it had the same problem you did as far as shooting high with Factory duplicate loads. It shot even higher with hot loads so what to do? I first filed down the rear sigh as the sight notch was plenty high. This worked but I really did not like the factory rear sight so I bought a Marbles one to replace it but then it was shooting high again. So I removed the front sight blade and made a taller one from some sheet steel I had, I made is plenty tall enough and then spent some time with a file and some hand loads. Now the rifle shoots where I want it to with both standard cowboy loads and my hot hunting loads and all I need to do is adjust the ramp ladder for the ammo I am using.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Plastic cheese spreaders work well, too.

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/photos/rossi10.jpg

My 357 Rossi was the same way and would only shoot point of aim with hot 158 grain jacketed. I ended up taking my needle files and working the rear sight down so that I could shoot a variety of loads in it. I have found a couple of loads that shoot well in it for me. Loads really make a difference in that rifle as to height of impact. So I can now use it for lighter 38 special loads and heavier Mag loads.

DP

northmn, thanks for the reply. I thought of the very same thing this morning when I got home from work. I think that I will wind up with a peep sight but like I was telling my Wife this morning we already have the factory sight and can re-work it for free.

I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner though. I really don't want to scope this rifle, Ive used a scope for the last 33 years. I kinda lost interest hunting with a firearm after I started bow hunting. It's just not the same shooting the 30.06 out to 250 or 300 yards after shooting a bow from 3 paces. That is my main reason for going with the .357 and open sights.

I have never used a peep sight on a firearm though, for those that do is it like using a peep sight on a bow?

Jeff

Boolit Bub
    I just got a new stainless M92 .44 magnum...it had the same issue. Shot about 3-4 inchs high with the sight adusted as low as it would go.

I took the sight ramp out of the sight and it was pretty close to right on target. I took note of the height difference between the rear sight blade setting on the barrel and sitting in the lowest notch in the elevator ramp. Then I took the 'path of least effort'..and used a Dremal and stone to concave the rear sight blade down into a semi-buckhorn style profile. Then gently recut the sight notch deeper. This got the Rossi/Taurus/Braziltec 92 really close at 50 yards..but still shooting a bit high..so I ground about 1/16" off the bottom of the adjuster wedge and this got my .44mag hitting perfect with 240gr factory softpoints and the feeble 240gr cowboy stuff at 50yds....

I guess my carbine wasn't all that far out of calibration....I basicaly reduced the rear sight height by approx 3/16" between grinding the plain rear sight blade into a 'semi-buckhorn'..and trimming down the ramp/wedge. If mine would have needed much more metal removed..I would have probably needed to put on a taller front sight too.