Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: yugo sks cast loads?

yugo sks cast loads?

What is your favorite yugo sks cast loads , or any sks for that matter i have a unfired unissued in cosmoline 59/66 yugo i would like to use cast in i have only the lee 160 gr .312 dia mold for it lots of wc820 will this work? it is very similar to aa #9 in my 454 casull ...

Boolit Buddy
    I too am looking for a load for that lee boolit! We have 6 ski's in our family from Russian to norinco paratrooper I need a good suggestion as 8I do not have the time find each a pet load and we need a load that will cycle. All of them with 4 to 6 in accuracy. @50 TO 75 YARDS I have a bunch cast of ww, gas checks crimped on in a .314 sizer and heattreated with felix lube. Looking @ 5744 around 22.0 grains as I have a bunch of it

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by indymadcaster View Post
    I too am looking for a load for that lee boolit! We have 6 ski's in our family from Russian to norinco paratrooper I need a good suggestion as 8I do not have the time find each a pet load and we need a load that will cycle. All of them with 4 to 6 in accuracy. @50 TO 75 YARDS I have a bunch cast of ww, gas checks crimped on in a .314 sizer and heattreated with felix lube. Looking @ 5744 around 22.0 grains as I have a bunch of it
    try this for 5744 @ 18 to 20 grains should work start low and work up ... accurate arms site
    http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...d_data_3.5.pdf ... go to page 17

The Sticky http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=13453 has lots of good info on cast bullets loads and powder choices that can be used in the SKS.

For cast bullet loads in my Chinese and Yugo SKS I use the Lee TL 160 GC bullet cast from WW alloy and either TL'ed or ranch dipped in my Alox/JPW lube. Bullets drop from my mold close to .314 and I apply the GC with the Lee .314 push through sizer.

My two favorite loads are 12.5 grs. Alliant 2400 in the Chinese and the Max. load 15.0 grs. in the Yugo,both loads are accurate under 1" at 50 yds. and the charge weights are the Min. charge weights to get reliable cycling with no stove piping or short stroking issues.

The 12.5 gr. load MV @ 1400+ fps. drops the brass right at my feet while the Max. 15.0 grs. MV@ 1900+ fps. tends to throw the brass 10 to 15 ft. away. Alliant 2400 may not cycles some SKS rifle well the only way to know is give it a try. For those SKS rifles that it want cycle I have found a load of 18.0 grs. of Reloader #7 works every time in any SKS it's been tried in and accuracy is on par with the 2400 loads.

great article res45, much appreciated for the sticky link ill save and print it .. im looking for any experience with wc 820 powder to us up some i have .. ill try the 2400 though got some of that ............. thanks bob

Boolit Grand Master

There seem to be 2 different burning rates for the 820. The one I have seems to be faster than 2400.
    If I was going to try my 820 I would start about at the 12.5gr load and see how it performs. If it cycled that would be great, if not go to 13 grs.

Moderator Emeritus

make sure that you slug your bore. i have heard of bores as large as .315 which makes for poor accuracy with a .310 boolit.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    There seem to be 2 different burning rates for the 820. The one I have seems to be faster than 2400.
    If I was going to try my 820 I would start about at the 12.5gr load and see how it performs. If it cycled that would be great, if not go to 13 grs.
    there are three speed for the burn rate of wc820 , wc820f, the f is fast like
    aa#7 ... the wc820 like mine, is same as aa#9 and the other is like 2400 a little slower .. just was curious if anyone has loaded heavys in the sks with wc820 thanks for your responces ...bob

I guess I should have mentioned that both the bores on my Chinese and Yugo SKS slugged out at .312.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee C312-155-2R over 27 gr H4895 in WW or IMI cases with WLR primer. 1850 fps with excellent accuracy out of 20" Russian, Chines and Yugo and other SKSs. 100% functioning. Great load in AKs also. Superb load in my Mini MKX Mauser bolt action.

Larry Gibson

Both the 155 & 160 grain Lee boolits should work very well in that gun.

I've had good luck with both 2400 & Reloader 7 in that cartridge. Unfortunately, I haven't used the powder that you have on hand.

For some reason, the Yugo guns like a little heavier powder charge than most of the other variants do. It's not uncommon for a Yugo to need an extra half grain or so of powder to get it to cycle reliably.

This thread is a great place to start learning about loading that caliber - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=13453

Edit: oops, that link was already posted.
    Last edited by JIMinPHX; 09-05-2011 at 03:11 PM.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

+1 with Larry... under an inch at 50yds in my paratrooper and cycles strongly.

Boolit Buddy
    You all should go to Junior Doughty's website, The Frugal Outdoorsman, and read his article on loading cast for his Yugo.

T-o-m

thanks i read it ...wonderfull reading