Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hercules 2400 Rifle Powder?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Just a quick comment on the question about so few mentions of 2400 in rifles... it was designed primarily for reduced loads when used in “full size” rifle cases,

>>>SNIP
    I've never heard that?
    I've only heard about the connection of 2400 to 22 Hornet.

http://www.lasc.us/taylorpaco22hornet.htm

History seems to suggest that 2400 powder from Hercules Powder Company came about because of the 22 Hornet... at the time the powder being used was 1201 (early boxes so marked, later boxes 1204). This powder was also being used as a handgun powder... Keith speaks of it in passing, saying only 2400 far out shines it.

A report in the 1930s RIFLEMAN states that Whelen pushed Hercules to have a new powder manufactured. And it was named 2400 because it would generate 2400 plus fps from the Hornet rifles with 45 grain bullets.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Phil Sharpe states in his Complete Guide To Handloading published in '37 in describing Hercules 2400 powder;

"It was designed particularly for such cartridges as the .22 Hornet, 25-20, etc., and here it is at it's best."
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I have two 308 shooting CB's. One absolutely loves 2400 (19.6 gr.) with 160 gr. boolits and the other doesn't. Both have the same twist but the one that likes 2400 has a 6" longer barrel if that means anything.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, amphibian memory isn’t all it should be, but it seems like back in the dark ages of the 1970s when I started reloading, 2400 was being used for 357s & 44 mags, for reduced loads in. 30-06 target loads and occasionally 45-70s, and by the occasional skeet shooter in 410 shells. The 22 Hornet and the 25-20 (WCF & SS) were pretty moribund at the time, so I guess that’s why I didn’t hear them emphasized. Maybe I should have said “devoted to” rather than “designed primarily for.” I do know it makes a dandy 100 yd target load for 30-06. Anyway, I’ll humbly stand corrected.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I won a case of 1lb containers of 2400 recently at an auction for about $100. While I do have a 357 and 45 convertible NMBH that I can use it in I've been looking for other cartridges and I honestly don't seem to have anything else to use it in. I guess I need to do more 357 shooting, or get more guns... lol

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Well, amphibian memory isn’t all it should be, but it seems like back in the dark ages of the 1970s when I started reloading, 2400 was being used for 357s & 44 mags, for reduced loads in. 30-06 target loads and occasionally 45-70s, and by the occasional skeet shooter in 410 shells. The 22 Hornet and the 25-20 (WCF & SS) were pretty moribund at the time, so I guess that’s why I didn’t hear them emphasized. Maybe I should have said “devoted to” rather than “designed primarily for.” I do know it makes a dandy 100 yd target load for 30-06. Anyway, I’ll humbly stand corrected.

Froggie
    Froggie, back in those dark days of the 70's were you also a disco dancer? I've been using 2400 (occasionally) since about then and the last time I bought any it came in cardboard cylinder cans. Just started loading for Colt 45 recently and that old 2400 seems to work fine with a semi warm load under a 255gr Laser Cast SWC (heavy crimp) in a large frame Vaquero. Expect it should be good for hogs not too far out.
    Last edited by Littlefish; 02-12-2018 at 04:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    2400 has been an excellent powder for me and a friend in our .308 Winchesters. His is a Howa 1500 and mine is a Savage Mdl 11. We've found that from 16g to 19g and a 195g, NOE 311-202cup point can be a real tack driver if we do our part. It meters extremely well in a Dillon 450 measure, and that is real important when loading with a semi-progressive machine.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

My 45-70 Rifle load is 21gr of 2400 under a 378gr RNGC boolit from Burnham Bill. It'll hold the Xring at 100yd if I can! I'm mining the 308 loads, and any 30-06 ones I can!
    NO APPLAUSE......JUST THROW MONEY!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
    According to early Hercules load sheets, 2400 was indeed considered a rifle powder - it was developed for the .22 Hornet in which it gave (you guessed it) 2,400 fps.
    Bingo....Give that man a seegar!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
    According to early Hercules load sheets, 2400 was indeed considered a rifle powder - it was developed for the .22 Hornet in which it gave (you guessed it) 2,400 fps.
    My understanding is that the name comes from the velocity it produces in the 22 hornet and as Rocky Raab pointed out, it was developed for the hornet. That would be 2400 fps with a 40 grain bullet. And here I'm getting 2740 fps with a 55 gr bullet using Lil'Gun in R-P cases ( larger capacity cases plus my rifle has a large chamber) - with indefinite case life .
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123