Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hercules 2400 Rifle Powder?

Boolit Buddy

Hercules 2400 Rifle Powder?

I bought an unopened 1lb can of Hercules 2400. I didn't notice until I got it home that it said Rifle Powder under the 2400 on the label. It is an older can of powder that someone traded in at my favorite reloading supply store. Is this the same 2400 that is commonly used for magnum pistol loads?

Banned

Yes, of course. Same as all the shotgun powders used in revolvers. All powders cross the lines.

According to early Hercules load sheets, 2400 was indeed considered a rifle powder - it was developed for the .22 Hornet in which it gave (you guessed it) 2,400 fps.

It's funny as there are few rifle rounds loaded w/ 2400. It's long been a magnum handgun powder, you are good to go for any straight walled magnum round.

Boolit Master
    It's also useful for reduced loads in mid size rifles. I like to make lead plinker's in 30-30, and 8mm.
    Thanx, Tim Kelley
    SFC US Army (Ret)
    NRA Life

Still have noclue!

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
    According to early Hercules load sheets, 2400 was indeed considered a rifle powder - it was developed for the .22 Hornet in which it gave (you guessed it) 2,400 fps.

The first can of powder I ever purchased was one pound of "Hercules Unique Rifle" powder. Second was 2400. They are still my go-to powders. Especially for cast bullets in rifles.

Boolit Mold
    I use 2400 in my 357 rounds with a 158 gr. Lee RF boolet. Works well in my Ruger Vaquero as well as my Marlin 1894 Cowboy.

Boolit Master
    I started with an old can of 2400, too. Wish I'd held onto the can!

Boolit Master

Grover Beach, CA. just ahead of Pismo Beach
    philthephlier - 2400 has changed over the years. The older powders are a little slower burning. If you work up a load with the old powder you will need to do it again with the newer powder. I had a great load from 30 yr old 2400 in a 308 but the newer powder didn't work as well in that load.

Carl

Boolit Grand Master

Have to disagree about 2400 has changed over the years. The older powders are a little slower burning.

The technicians at Alliant say the formula has not changed. My own extensive pressure testing in numerous cartridges shows only the normal lot to lot variation between Hercules and Alliant 2400s. Sometimes one is faster burning than the other but it is more dependent on cartridge and bullet weith than anything else.

The difference between old data and new data is simply that with the modern piezoelectric transducers pressure measurement systems we get a much better and more complete picture of interior ballistics than with the old CUP method. Taking the classic Kieth load of 22 gr 2400 under a 240 - 255 gr cast SWC with get you very close to the SAAMI MAP (Maximum Average Pressure) of 35,000 psi for the 44 Magnum with either the Hercules or Alliant 2400 powder. Depending on bullet and lot of either powder it may actually go over the SAAMI MAP. That's what I have found with either powder, Hercules or Alliant.

I've found no reason to doubt the technicians at Alliant that the formula for 2400 has not changed.

Larry Gibson

I agree with Larry that the formula has not changed. Nor have the performance specifications, so even if a given lot doesn't match as it comes out of the tun, they blend it and test it until it does meet the performance specs.

What does happen , however, is that older powder can and does sometimes change a bit due to aging. So a can of powder made 50 years ago may not perform exactly as a can made today might. But that's due to aging, not a change in formula or specifications.

Larry nailed it. I have both and use them equally in my .357 and 44s.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Grand Master

My go to powder! Been using it for many many years in rifle and revolvers because it just plain works. Unique is a close runner up. Am never without both of them.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

Well,

I don't have pressure equipment. I do have a chronograph and have had since 1970. Built that one from a kit.

I have been using 2400 since 1956 in .38 Special, .357 Mag. .41 Mag, .44 Mag., .30-30, .38-55. I am using the exact same loads today that I did all those years ago. I can notice no difference in normal pressure signs, performance, or accuracy.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Mold
    Im also going to have to agree with larry. I worked up some loads in certain rifle calibers with cast bullets with alliant 2400, and last month I got a killer deal on an old unopened 4lb cardboard barrel of Hercules 2400 and have used the same load with the same results. Its just one of those powders from development that just didn't need any improvements, it does perfectly for what its intended for.

Fantastic cast boolit powder. So glad it's available in NZ again.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Grand Master

Jeff! Were you guys out of 2400! Not good.
    Hope it wasn't long, it is such a mainstay powder for cast rifle and mag
    handgun loads. Is there an ADI powder that is close?

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

The closest ADI powder would be AR2205 which is H4227. I like it as a lower power paper patch powder. I can't say that it's better or worse than 2400 as I've never tried it.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    I buy the big kegs of 2400.Love my straight wall cases. I did just get a load for a 8x57 using 2400. My eyes opened up on that one too. I'm a 5744 fan when it comes to low pressure fast heavy rifle boolits. One old dog teaching this one a trick! 's
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

Boolit Master
    Love my 2400 in the 357. Getting ready to try it as a mid-range load in the 444.
    Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast