RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What is your go to 22 LR ammo?

Boolit Buddy

What is your go to 22 LR ammo?

Best 22 LR ammo in your opinion is?

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot a lot of .22. Go to the range weekly and always bring my Ruger mark3 and other guns, But the Ruger always goes and I shoot a box of Walmart bulk each time. I find that the Federal 550 pack is the best for the price. Last week I shot a 500 pack of Winchester and had a lot of duds. Seems like no priming compound in the rims.. The Remington bulk pack did not do so well either with a lot of fail to feed. I shot 3 boxes of the federal without any problems at all before cleaning pistol. Tommy

Whatever fits in my guns and is cheap.
    I'm not too particular when it comes to 22.
    I got lucky and bought a bunch of bricks of Remington about 6 years ago.
    I think it was about $8-9/500.
    Needless to say, I'm glad I picked up 12 boxes of them.
    I think I still have 7-8 left and they shoot good enough.
    Since I started casting for everything else, I dont shoot them much anymore.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 for the Walmart Federals.

Cheaper stuff: Walmart Federal Automatch runs all my pistols and rifles

Better stuff: Wolf Target/ SK Standard Plus (same thing, just different packaging ) I stop at $5.00 a box of 50
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Grand Master

When I got the FA 252 9" I tried several types of 22 ammo for 100 meter smallbore silhouette. Settled on Standard plus as one of the most consistent without needing to get a mortgage on the house.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Mold
    CCI standard (in the blue boxes)

If money was no object Then Eley Tennex
    Baldrick: "What do I do if I step on a landmine?"

Blackadder: "Well, the normal procedure would be to throw yourself 30' in the air, while scattering yourself over a large area"

From "Blackadder at the front"

Banned

I don't shoot competition, but my GO TO .22LR is also Wal-Mart bulk Federal, has been for many, many years. I bought some fresh stuff recently as it became available again and it's still good stuff. I have several bricks of Winchester "555" and Remington bulk HV stuff, my guns all tell me it's not their favorite. DON'T buy Fiocchi, it's acrid, dirty, and won't hit a barn from the inside. Also not very reliable, won't feed in my Marlin or my 10-22, bunches of duds, and it's a new brick well-cared-for.

FWIW,

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

Old Win Power Point is strikingly accurate in most of my .22s.

PMC Zapper is excellent in most guns, and PMC Match is an affordable high accy load.

Amazingly, PMC Sidewinder has been the most accurate in the CZ 452 American.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ah, THIS subject.

I've given up on most of the bulk-box ammo. Too uneven in shot-to-shot performance, esp. noticeable in revolvers with its wide-ranging report volumes and vertical stringing.

CCI Mini-Mags are not cheap, but they run in ALL of my 22 LR firearms--they are remarkably consistent in velocity via chronography--are single-best in downrange accuracy in several of the toys--and don't shoot poorly in ANY of them. I call that a GIFT. As for cost factor, I save a mint on centerfire shooting via use of castings, so I don't mind plowing a little cash back into the rimfire furrows now and then.

I have tried CCI Std. Velocity in a couple rifles--they ran my raggedy 10/22, and shot pretty well in the Remmy bolter. Not as well as Mini-Mags, though. No work with Green Tag or Tenex yet, dunno if sporter-grade arms can yield a tangible benefit from the REALLY pricey stuff. Truth to tell, the misses on rats and jacks aren't the fault of the Mini-Mags. Range work more than verifies THAT.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 07-23-2011 at 03:29 AM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    For hunting, I think that Winchester Power Point does great out of my Brno Model 2, I don't have a .22 pistol at the moment, but I was using what we call Bake Beans (SK Magazine, came in a tin of 500 rounds). For my 1411 target rifle I haven't found a replacement for the Federal Gold Medal Match since they took it off the market. Still fooling around with thigs trying to find a new .22 target round that my rifle likes.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master
    I have always had the best reliability when using CCI Mini Mag 22 LR, and 22 Short. I am also somewhat partial to CCI stinger, but Mini Mag is definitely my go to 22 ammo.

By reliability I mean always firing and feeding, unless the gun requires a odd overall length.

I have an old High Standard Sport King that is really fussy about 22 cartridge length, and prefers the shorter length CCI 22 standard box stuff.

My semi auto Marlin and Ruger 10-22's seem to run the most successfully for me when I use CCI Mini Mag. My Colt Ace conversions like the CCI Mini Mag fodder as well. My 22 revolvers, and pump action 22's are far less fussy about what I put through them, but some of the really cheap and dirty wax coated stuff will still gum them up after enough rounds.

Out of all the bulk 22 LR stuff I would rate the CCI stuff the highest, and I would rate the Federal stuff as definitely a close second.

I don't think I have ever shelled out the extra money for match 22LR other than the CCI green tag boxes. It was never all that impressive, or worth the extra money to me over the Mini Mag, but then I don't shoot 22 matches either.

- Bullwolf

CCI Minimags and AU made Power Point.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Love Life
    Remington thunderbolts

My rifle likes boolits with a bit of nose support and Federal subsonics work just fine - very fine! Actually, I only use subsonics but they must have a hollow nose.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

For hunting, Winchester Power Point, for plinking, Eley Trainer, for competition, Federal Ultra Match. (no longer made) I'll leave the china mart bulk pack stuff, no matter the brand, to the Grandson. It shoots about as well as he does. (7 years old)

In Remebrance

I liked the Win PP when our local Wally World carried it. These days I buy what ever is cheapest or available. I simply refuse to pay $6.50 for a box of 50 22's!!! When I saw that at a store I about dropped a load right there. That's why I shoot the magnum so seldom- cost.

Last time I did any real 22 shopping it was on line. There are still some case lot deals to be had if you have the scratch to make the buy.

Boolit Master
    Remington Thunderbolts...very interesting ammunition. Looks good, shots ok, but one can expect FTFs and a reduced report every so often. However it cycles in my finicky Marlin 60 & 795...something the Federal bulk has issues with.

Federal Gold Match.

Boolit Master
    I prefer the CCI Blazer of all the bulk packaged 22 rimfire ammunition for plinking. CCI stingers for hunting.

Winelover

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast