Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: 7.62x54 OAL for Lyman 311466

Boolit Buddy

7.62x54 OAL for Lyman 311466

I have a Finnish m28/30 and I am looking for a good OAL for the Lyman 311466. I'm using 25gr. of 2400 which is smack in the middle of the lyman recommendation but the Lyman cast bullets give a max OAL 3.037, which is the length of the case and the unseated bullet. I soft seated an empty case/bullet and it measures 2.85, which seats the bullet .200". Is this a good OAL to use or am I putting to much into this.

Any help would be useful.

O. Gotz

Seat it out as close to the rifling as you can get. Maybe the Lyman max OAL given was for guys who breach seat their bullets! Most mosins have a fairly long throat, as long as you've got the majority of the gascheck in there, and aren't feeding from the magazine, which could move the bullet, you'll be fine.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Madsenshooter,

You are correct on the long throat. The throat is slightly longer than the max OAL listed by Lyman and I gave up using magazines along time ago. Even my Semi's tend to be single shots. Anyway, I'll load up a few at 2.85" and see how they do. Given the right reloads, this rifle shots 1" groups at 100 yards. Unfortunately, I can only do it some of the time, so I have a great starting point.

Thanks for the help,

Orra