RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Please recommend me a good lube

Boolit Mold

Please recommend me a good lube

Gonna be casting a bunch of Lee .452 230 gn. RN that has two lube grooves, and will be sizing in my Lyman Lubri-Sizer with .452" die. I'll be doing it in the garage which is hot (80-90F) if that changes recommendation.

I think I have some very old RCBS green lube which I remember is pretty stiff, and some other tan stuff that's in a clear tube with red caps on the ends that looks like it might be separating in that it seems like it's wet with clear oil or something.

So I'm thinking I need to order some new lube and was wondering what you guys might recommend.

Thanks in advance for comments & suggestions.

Boolit Master
    50:50, BAC or Carnauba Red from White Label. LLA or LLA/JPW for tumble.
    Have you tried simply tumble-lubing the as-cast bullets and shooting them, to see if sizing is even required. I stopped sizing decades ago.
    The lube requirements for .45 Autos are not very severe and any lube will work.

I have not bought any lube in almost 50 years so I am not much help on what is available. Several of our members here make and sell good lubes( Bullshop and Lars). I am certain one of them will be able to help.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

if loading in a 45 acp the lube demands arent that great and indeed the easiest is the tumble lube , my personal preference is recluse's recipe for 45/45/10 , to actually lube with the lubrisizer it just doesnt get much cheaper ( or better ) than lar's white label lubes and BAC should fill your requirements well , as a plus he's also a forum member and supporting our members is never a bad thing ( especially when his prices are rather hard to beat !! )
    http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    if loading in a 45 acp the lube demands arent that great and indeed the easiest is the tumble lube , my personal preference is recluse's recipe for 45/45/10 , to actually lube with the lubrisizer it just doesnt get much cheaper ( or better ) than lar's white label lubes and BAC should fill your requirements well , as a plus he's also a forum member and supporting our members is never a bad thing ( especially when his prices are rather hard to beat !! )
    +1.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

Lube demands for the .45 ACP are not great as far as leading is concerned (in most cases) but accuracy can be a totally different thing. It takes a GOOD lube to both eliminate leading and ALSO shoot accurately.

I used NRA 50/50 lube for many years with great success. However, in very hot weather it can and will migrate to the primer of a loaded round causing misfires. I now use, exclusively, Lars' White Label Lube in the form of his Carnauba Red. It has all of the great accuracy properties of NRA 50/50 but also has a higher melting temperature. This requires a heated lube/sizer to apply at room temperature but solves my problem of migration in high heat conditions.

So, "Thumbs UP" to Lars' lubes. Take a look at his web site and pick the lube best suited to your needs.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    Lube demands for the .45 ACP are not great as far as leading is concerned (in most cases) but accuracy can be a totally different thing. It takes a GOOD lube to both eliminate leading and ALSO shoot accurately.

I used NRA 50/50 lube for many years with great success. However, in very hot weather it can and will migrate to the primer of a loaded round causing misfires. I now use, exclusively, Lars' White Label Lube in the form of his Carnauba Red. It has all of the great accuracy properties of NRA 50/50 but also has a higher melting temperature. This requires a heated lube/sizer to apply at room temperature but solves my problem of migration in high heat conditions.

So, "Thumbs UP" to Lars' lubes. Take a look at his web site and pick the lube best suited to your needs.

Dale53
    I load a bunch of 45 and 9mm with the 50/50 lube and it shoots very well and clean. Is hot storage condition a big problem?

Boolit Grand Master

I would NOT call it a BIG problem. However, at a VERY inauspicious time, I had it happen to nearly a whole .50 Caliber GI Ammo can full of loaded .45 ACP's. Admittedly, it was under extreme conditions. However, I WAS in extreme conditions, so the ammo has to function when I do

That won't happen with Carnauba Red.

Dale53

I was using LLA for all my bullets (44 SPC and 45 ACP), but have just migrated to the 45/45/10 - Recluse lube. Haven't shot any yet, but the JPW sure is slick on the bullets. And the mix is MUCH better to work with than straight LLA IMO.

Boolit Master
    The tan stuff is likely Alox lube, 50/50 beeswax and alox. It makes a good rifle lube, I've used a lot of it. I found when replacing it that it's discontinued. After much searching I found White Label lubes. They're good with a good price, couldn't ask for better.

In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    +1.

Gear
    My thoughts as well !
    Dave

Boolit Master
    Bullet fit #1 and as everyone else has stated just about any lube will do it for the 45 acp, however I prefer soft lubes for flow both in the lubricator and from the lube grooves when being fired down the bore. If you are buying then I give +++ recomendations to the others who have stated 50/50 or BAC from White Lable lube with more of a lean to BAC since it doesn't smoke like the 50/50 beeswax-alox lube.

Boolit Master
    If you are in a hot garage lubing , I suggest the Carnuba Red over BAC. Just a little easier to work with in the heat. Come winter, I will probably reverse that recommenation.

BAC is doing great things in 9mm for me so it stays in the tool kit. Carnuba Red
    seems ideal for me in 45acp and it will remain a steady item.

I sure like that Carnuba Red. Not tacky and it stays put.

White Label: hard to beat it for performance and value. Of course, you could
    join the Roll You Own Lube faction ......

White Label: do yourself a favor and get it.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I can't actually recommend them, but FROM all the recommendations on this site for them, I should be receiving my package of Lars White Label Lube in a day or two! I'll be pan lubing, and unsure which I will like best, so I ordered 6 of each: BAC, 50/50, 2500 and Carnauba Red.

My first 25 cast 45ACP I used the Lee Liquid Alox that came with my sizer, because I was eager!! But I sure look forward to getting a nice band of colored lube in that groove on my next 25!!

My suggestion would be to do something similar, try a few different ones out and see what you like best!! -Brad

Boolit Grand Master

birdadly;
    My suggestion, if you pan lube, is to look into using a Silicone baking pan. Carnauba Red doesn't want to release from conventional pans. However, it releases readily from a silicone pan.

One caveat is that you MUST support a silicone pan full of hot lube and lead bullets. A "loaded" pan is wimpy and can dump the whole shebang in the floor. That is guaranteed to make you unpopular with the better half. Just take a piece of 1/8" plywood or masonite (a clip board is a handy size) and slip under the silicone baking pan when moving it.

Silicone baking pans are a bit expensive. However, you can often find them in kitchen supply places at discount (Bed, Bath, and Beyond, or Linens and Such). I also suggest you "dedicate" the pan for such use. It is NOT a good idea to use those items for cooking after you have pan lubed bullets in them (lead poisoning, etc).

Dale53