MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Tite group in 44 special

Boolit Bub

Tite group in 44 special

I have tried this a few different times and seem to get some lead blowing out around the cylinder gap. I am wondering if anyone else has this trouble? I think I am going to go back to hs6 it seems to work better.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I use TG (and ET7 - cleaner) in 44SPL's all the time and no problems. All standard load data taken directly out of the Lyman CB #4. I powder coat all my boolits so there is no exposed lead. You might consider that as an alternate to grease.

All carts shot in a Ruger RH 44mag 7.5".

bangerjim

Boolit Buddy
    I have used Tite Group from time to time in 44, 45, and 500 L.....never had this problem. Of course my loads were 900 fps or less. Never had a problem. I started seeing leading when I loaded them over 1000 fps with commercial hard cast bullets. I never tried plated/ coated bullets. With my own bullets and LBT lube the leading was minimized. I use ww231 and 4746 for most of my loads now.

I load 4.5 grs under a 250gr SWC with good results, no leading.

Boolit Master
    I load 5.0 gr Titegroup under a Lyman 429215, 220 gr. Works great from my flattop Blackhawk.

Boolit Master
    Never had such a problem and I've used Titegroup with a number of different bullet designs and weights in the .44. I've developed some accurate loads with Titegroup, but a few more with Bullseye.

Another one here using TG. Loading 44, 45, & 30-30. All plain base cast boolits, no leading at all.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using 5.5grs. of TG with a Lee 240gr SWC in my RRH 7.5 inch barrel for target loads,no leading at all. Have you checked your cylinder throats ?

Boolit Master

I use Tite Group in 380ACP,45ACP and 45Colt with god results in all of them.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Quote Originally Posted by Bignutt View Post
    I have tried this a few different times and seem to get some lead blowing out around the cylinder gap. I am wondering if anyone else has this trouble? I think I am going to go back to hs6 it seems to work better.
    I had a worn S & W model 19 once and it would spray junk out the cylinder gap. I would tend to think that the firearm is starting to show signs that it needs some TLC. Out of time or a out of spec cylinder gap and not so much the powder unless you are off the charts in charge weight. If it's a otherwise nice hand ejector I'd be glad to relieve you of this concern LOL.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Never loaded Titegroup in 44 but have shot lots of lbs of it in .40s&w and a little in .380.

Boolit Bub
    Some years ago I blew up the cylinder from a Colt conversion revolver Italian clone in .45 Colt using Titegroup. Later on, I figured I had about a triple charge in it. I had tried the powder on the recommendation of a friend, but after I cracked the chamber on that revolver, I got a bit gun-shy about it. It's really easy to nudge that beam scale weight off of zero and inadvertently add ten grains to your load... and if you are not used to powders like Bullseye and Titegroup, you just might not notice. I went back to Trailboss for a while.

Now, years later, I am again experimenting with it. I'm using four grains of TiteGroup and the same weight of Bullseye with a 255 grain Keith SWC. In my initial informal test, I found both loads to shoot with similar accuracy using bullets that were two thousandths undersized for my gun. I expect that to improve when I get my .432-sized bullets.

Both loads were fairly light recoiling in a Ruger Blackhawk Flattop 5 1/2", and I was able to hit a soup can at twenty-one feet with both loads. The Titegroup load was a bit heavier on recoil, but not by especially much.

These would make fairly good rabbit/'coon/possum/woodchuck loads for around the outbuildings, but not especially better than light Trailboss or Green Dot loads. Not a bear load by any means.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bignutt View Post
    My "standard load" for my .44 sp Charter Arms Bull-dog is the bottom/lowest load listed by Hodgdon for a 200 grain bullet using Tite-Group; A loading I am quite content with. No problems.
    geo