Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Federal primer question

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

Federal primer question

I'm going to be loading some 12ga. black powder loads. These will be light, consisting of 2 1/2 drams of powder and an ounce of shot. I had all the components except primers, so when the opportunity presented itself (during an out of town trip) at a Sportsman's Warehouse, I bought 1k Federal 209A's.

I got back home and noticed the warning on the box for the first time, "Do not use 209A primers with data for 209 primers". I don't know the difference. Can someone explain it to me? I compared them dimensionally to some CCI 109's and they are the same, so are these hotter or some sort of magnum primer? I hope I don't have to return them because the store is over 400 miles away!

Edit: I think I've found my answer on another website. This has popped up before and it seems that if 209A's are used in place of 209's, the powder charge must be reduced by one grain to keep pressures in line. However, with black powder pressures and such a light load I think I'll be fine.
    Last edited by 3006guns; 07-24-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Banned
    Hello 3006guns, the Fed 209A are one of the hottest magnum primers that are used to ignite slow burning powders like Alliant Steel. The Fed 209 ones are about the strength of Win 209.
    Hope it helps.
    Ajay
    Video Memories
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com