WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger .45 ACP Blackhawk

Boolit Master

Ruger .45 ACP Blackhawk

Have a convertible. When shooting .45 ACP's w/ the .45 ACP cylinder I often have FTF incidents and was wondering if anyone else has this happen to them. I also have a two other Blackhawks in the .30 M-1 Carbine & a .357 Mag Convertible (w a 9mm cylinder)..no such problems. As all three calibers (9mm Luger/.45 ACP/ .30 M-1 Carbine) are rimless I do realize case length is critical--so I use little crimping with each--just a gentle crimp with a taper crimp die to remove the bell on the case.

Boolit Master

Headspace - sounds like too much of it. Brass is too short or something is off in cylinder fit. Try a different brand of ammo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
    Headspace - sounds like too much of it. Brass is too short or something is off in cylinder fit. Try a different brand of ammo.
    I think that you are correct. The ammo used shoots just fine in my Camp Carbine .45 ACP. I think the cylinder is set out a bit too far for the FP to make good contact...

Boolit Grand Master

Most .45 ACP brass is fairly short, I have never actually seen one that was at or above
    the max length. Maybe the cyl is chambered too deep.

Possibly the firing pin is too short or there is a crud build up keeping it from moving
    forward as much as it should. Remove the cyl and let the hammer down from full cock,
    and keep the trigger pulled so the firing pin continues to protrude. Measure the amount
    protuding with feeler gages - which is tricky, but you should be able to get a decent
    approximation. Then do the next check.

Push a fired case into the clean cyl and then rotate it to the firing position and see what
    feeler gage will slide in between the case head and frame. Should be only a few thousandths,
    maybe .010 or so max, I don't know the correct value, but too much and the firing pin
    will not reach the primer - excessive headspace. Not a safety issue in this design, but
    a functional issue for sure.

See how much of the firing pin protrusion is being 'consumed' by the headspace and you will
    see how much the max indent on a primer will be. Short firing pin protrusion or excessive
    headspace seems like the issue - assuming that it is happening with factory ammo. Fire
    a few rounds of factory and examine the primer dents. Should be deep and strong.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Most .45 ACP brass is fairly short, I have never actually seen one that was at or above

Possibly the firing pin is too short or there is a crud build up keeping it from moving
    forward as much as it should. Remove the cyl and let the hammer down from full cock,
    and keep the trigger pulled so the firing pin continues to protrude. Measure the amount
    protuding with feeler gages - which is tricky, but you should be able to get a decent

Push a fired case into the clean cyl and then rotate it to the firing position and see what
    feeler gage will slide in between the case head and frame. Should be only a few thousandths,
    maybe .010 or so max, I don't know the correct value, but too much and the firing pin
    will not reach the primer - excessive headspace. Not a safety issue in this design, but
    a functional issue for sure.

See how much of the firing pin protrusion is being 'consumed' by the headspace and you will
    see how much the max indent on a primer will be. Short firing pin protrusion or excessive
    headspace seems like the issue - assuming that it is happening with factory ammo. Fire
    a few rounds of factory and examine the primer dents. Should be deep and strong.

Bill
    Thank you,
    I was thinking of the a feeler gauge as mentioned...then perhaps others can tell me what their's measures...if mine is too large a gap I think I'll have to contact Ruger. I don't have/use factory ammo. Also will blow out the FP recess--maybe it is gunked up

My Colt 1917 revolver has this problem with some cases that are too short. Evidently the problem is as old as the gun. It has no problem when used with 1/2 or full moon clips.

Boolit Master
    I have the opposite problem: my new model convertible .45 has never had a FTF with .45 acp. The carbine new model has been so hit and miss that I resort to .32-20 brass.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    My Colt 1917 revolver has this problem with some cases that are too short. Evidently the problem is as old as the gun. It has no problem when used with 1/2 or full moon clips.
    It would probably be a good idea if I get some of those clips... I have measured resized .45 ACP cases and they are all short, some quite a bit under the min length that they should be. Can it be that they actually shorten with use?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Poygan View Post
    I have the opposite problem: my new model convertible .45 has never had a FTF with .45 acp. The carbine new model has been so hit and miss that I resort to .32-20 brass.
    So far my .30 M-1 Carbine has never had a FTF...

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=MtGun44;1340464]Most .45 ACP brass is fairly short, I have never actually seen one that was at or above

Got out a feeler gauge---with cases .879" long I could pass a .025" through it tightly--with the .45 Colt a .014" would just fit--both have a cylinder gap of .009". No cases that I measured are the minimum length of .895"---some are .02" shorter. This must be the reason for the FTF..looks like I need some half moon clips...not sure where to get them... any ideas where I can?
    Last edited by Wally; 07-21-2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: indistinct

Boolit Master

I don't think moon clips will work in a Ruger SA unless it has had the back of the cylinder cut to accommodate them. They were designed to allow for proper headspacing and ejection in a swing out DA revolver. They would prevent ejection unless the whole cylinder was removed.

If your chambers are cut too deep you may be able to have a few thousandths taken off the back of the cylinder ratchet and use a shim at the front. This might set the cylinder back enough to help your FTF situation.

Moderator Emeritus

Try seating the bullet out a little until you find the oal that is right for your cylinder. Then mark your cylinder and see if all 6 are the same. You might need to load for this gun only and keep them separate from the rest of you acp loads but it should work.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

If you are using a roll crimp back it off some. I recommend switching to a taper crimp.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-05-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I think I would contact Ruger and ask what the correct dimension should be. ALL .45 ACP
    brass is way shorter than the book value, this is entirely normal, really. I tend to think that
    the .014 for .45 Colt and .025 for .45 ACP indicates too deep chambers or too short brass.

I will get mine out and do some measuring and get back to you.. . . . . . . .

OK, my BH shows .012 -.013 with a .895 case, .016 with a .890 case. Can't explain the
    difference fully, but the primer looked like was protruding a hair on one. The firing pin
    protrusion is more than the .035 leaf, maybe .005 or .008 more by eyeball. So call the
    firing pin protrusion about .040 to 043.

I was surprised, I have not measured a .45 ACP case in decades. The ones I grabbed were
    all running between .889 and .895. But BY MEMORY (!) they were much shorter decades ago.
    Get some new brass and measure it, may make all the difference. I was pulling from a
    can of brass that is all of recent manufacture, although mixed headstamp. It looks like to
    me that the .45 ACP ammo makers have gotten a lot closer to the book dimensions recently,
    whatever recently means in this context.

New brass is the first move, short brass could be the entire problem.

MT Gianni's approach should work, if your boolits can hold the case back.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 07-21-2011 at 11:30 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree use the boolit for headspace
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    If the cylinder chambers are bored too deep, Ruger should (?) replace it with a correctly chambered cylinder. I don't expet to have to fix factory errors.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    I think I would contact Ruger and ask what the correct dimension should be. ALL .45 ACP
    brass is way shorter than the book value, this is entirely normal, really. I tend to think that
    the .014 for .45 Colt and .025 for .45 ACP indicates too deep chambers or too short brass.

I will get mine out and do some measuring and get back to you.. . . . . . . .

OK, my BH shows .012 -.013 with a .895 case, .016 with a .890 case. Can't explain the
    difference fully, but the primer looked like was protruding a hair on one. The firing pin
    protrusion is more than the .035 leaf, maybe .005 or .008 more by eyeball. So call the
    firing pin protrusion about .040 to 043.

I was surprised, I have not measured a .45 ACP case in decades. The ones I grabbed were
    all running between .889 and .895. But BY MEMORY (!) they were much shorter decades ago.
    Get some new brass and measure it, may make all the difference. I was pulling from a
    can of brass that is all of recent manufacture, although mixed headstamp. It looks like to
    me that the .45 ACP ammo makers have gotten a lot closer to the book dimensions recently,
    whatever recently means in this context.

New brass is the first move, short brass could be the entire problem.

MT Gianni's approach should work, if your boolits can hold the case back.

Bill
    Thank you--would seem that mine has twice the clearance. With a short case it is not surprising I get a FTF. I have wedged the FTF round with masking tape so it sticks out a bit more--usually it will then fire. Others have told me to use softer primers...I used to use WW and had far fewer FTFs with them...what I now use is Wolf.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    If you are using a taper crimp back it off some. I recommend switching to a roll crimp.
    I have been TCing and have tried so test rounds with no TC--makes no difference...I never did over TC any

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    If you are using a taper crimp back it off some. I recommend switching to a roll crimp.
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Try seating the bullet out a little until you find the oal that is right for your cylinder. Then mark your cylinder and see if all 6 are the same. You might need to load for this gun only and keep them separate from the rest of you acp loads but it should work.
    I will try that--thanks. As I use Lee TL bullets may not be as easy to do as with a regular .45 Cal CB....as I liek to lead it so the front case edge rests on lead and not on a shallow TL grease groove. But I shoot a lot of 454389's that aren't TL---it's with these round I have the most FTFs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    I don't think moon clips will work in a Ruger SA unless it has had the back of the cylinder cut to accommodate them. They were designed to allow for proper headspacing and ejection in a swing out DA revolver. They would prevent ejection unless the whole cylinder was removed.

If your chambers are cut too deep you may be able to have a few thousandths taken off the back of the cylinder ratchet and use a shim at the front. This might set the cylinder back enough to help your FTF situation.
    I did think of that--the cylinder gap is at .009" and if I did that it'd be even bigger---I'd be better off sending it to Ruger...thanks for the suggestion.