Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dillon Strong Mount

Dillon Strong Mount

I am building a new reloading bench. I'm thinking 1 meter high top (about 39 1/2 inches.) One of my presses is a Dillon 550, and I'm thinking of using a Srong Mount or a homemade one. The question is will this be OK height wise? I am space limited and the Strong Mount will enable mounting over the bench. If I drop the bench height I am worried the height will be too low to comfortably use my other presses and reloading tools.

Obviously I will be standing at the bench (I've always preferred to stand to load). I'm 5 11" tall. What do you think?
    Last edited by rollmyown; 07-21-2011 at 01:06 AM. Reason: punctuation

Boolit Master
    You can do the math but when i was running two 550Bs i liked the top of the ram stroke to hit me about the bottom of the rib cage.That way i was not doing a lot of lifting of the arms and i could peer down into the operation and the cases. Now using the strong mount that may leave single stage press a little low for some. If the Dillon is the most used press build the bench to fit you and it.You may need to sit to more comfortably operate a single stage press.

The strong mount is a good option but you can run a Dillon very well without it and everything will be closer to the same level.

I am 5'9" and my Dillon 550 is on a strong mount. The height on that bench is 35.5" and if I rememeber correctly the Strong Mount adds 8.5" (about 44" combined. . My set up is very good for me, height wise.

I have a second bench that is 39" (like yours) - I took the strong mount off for that press (550). For me the 39" without a strong mount is a little low but no back strain from leaning over. With the 8.5" added to the 39" I felt it was a little awkward (don't really know why ).

As anal as it sounds I think you arm length is also involved because when you go to the bottom of the press stroke - if you have to bend your back - it gets tiring after a short period of time. Reloaders that DO NOT reload in volume never miss a beat bending over slightly etc. but VOLUME of say 400 to 500 per hour for an hour or more wears you down.

Regards,

Boolit Master
    G'day. My bench is 950mm high. I have a 550 mounted to it and load seated on a barstool. It did have a Strong mount and I loaded standing with no issues. It's just that I like to be comfortable when loading.

I'm 5'9".
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

The strong mounts are not as solid as mounting the frame directly to the bench. You are building from nothing so set the height right with out the mount. If that causes the press to take up too much "room space" hanging over make the bench 6" narrower.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    G'day. My bench is 950mm high. I have a 550 mounted to it and load seated on a barstool. It did have a Strong mount and I loaded standing with no issues. It's just that I like to be comfortable when loading.

I'm 5'9".

????? So how high is your bench in inches? How tall are you in mm? My bench is about 39" high for using my Hornady Pro-Jector.Robert

Got my 550 on a strong mount. Perfect for loading standing or sitting on a 30-32 inch stool.
    YMMV
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
    SASS 17373
    Proud Dad of a USAF Airman

Boolit Buddy
    I had a Dillon SDB without a strong mount. I determined what my optimal height was and built an elevated box bolted to my existing bench and mounted the dillon to that. Custom height without the expense. Worked great for many years. If you're building a new bench, just include an elevated section to mount your press to.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive".

Boolit Master
    Just depends on what works well for you. I'm 6' 2" and prefer to load standing. My bench is 42 inches high and I have a strongmount. Actual press height is around 50 inches and makes it quite handy for me to keep an eye on whats going on with my press while loading.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

+1 for the strong mount. Makes it comfortable to stand or sit on a stool. I like to stand and look down into station 2 (powder charge). Just makes me feel more comfortable with what it is I'm about to go shoot. I loaded for years without one and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

PASS IT ON! TAKE A KID SHOOTING!,

Boolit Buddy
    My benchs are 34" high and with the strong mounts on my SDB's and 550 the height for standing is perfect for me, I'm 5'9. The 34" benchtop works well with my single stage Redding Boss press from a stool. I have an 11" riser of my own design for my Redding Ultra Mag for working from a stool also. I'm quite happy with the set up and I find zero difference in rigidity of the presses using the strong mounts.

I made a "post" for my 550b.

Welded and drilled.

Sandblasted and painted.

In place.

Larger more suitable bins attached.

Boolit Man
    BTW, the Dillon strong mount works well for other presses as well. I know of several guys with LNL's that use the Strong Mount. You will have to drill matching holes.

Boolit Master
    Be aware there are two sizes of Strong Mounts. Check Dillon site. One is taller than the other. FYI.

Boolit Master

How does the aluminum, completed-round exhaust shoot attach to the Strong Mount?
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    Very nice job Danny K. I'd love to get a couple of bin mounts to go on my SDB. Do you make for sale?
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Dillon mount

I have a work bench that I purchased from Lowes. It stands 36 inches high and I have my Dillon Strong Mount on it. The strong mount on this height bench requires standing or a drafting chair. I happen to have a wife in the business so the chair came easy. To me the strong mount makes the 550B so easy to use as it provides mounting for your bullet trays, tool bracket with tools, and case bin. It also provides a ammo bin for the completed ammo. It makes the Dillon become the best press to use.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

The Dillon certainly is versatile and well-made, but I have a couple minor gripes about it that might force me to sell mine and replace it with something else:

1. The primer and powder measure systems aren't 100% foolproof, so I have to keep a careful eye on them. In order to see into powdered cases requires a light that shines in from directly above. I have a Strong Mount on-order, and when I get it in-place, the press might be too tall for me to see into the cases. We shall see what we see.

2. It is too big and bulky. I wish the press was as elegantly compact as a Star.

3. My biggest gripe is that the handle and movement arc are too long (about 120-degrees for the arc). If I stand I must bend slightly to move the handle entirely thru its arc; and if I sit in a chair, then I can't see into the cases. I am using the rolling handle and it would be difficult to shorten or modify it without interfering with press operation. I am considering bending the top 4" of it forward 90 degrees, which would both shorten it and reduce the felt arc to something manageable.

Or I could get a bench-top mounted press like a PW P200, Star, or RDP. Decisions-decisions.

If anyone has a solution to my handle problem, I would appreciate your help.
    Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 07-27-2011 at 12:09 AM.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

light

KEVIN, You may use any small flashlight through the center hole in your die holder. Use plastic tie wraps or rubber bands to hold it in place. You may also use a light designed for drafting that clamps to the table. I put one of the spiral power saver bulbs as these don't produce a lot of heat nor use a lot of electricity. It lights up the entire loading area.They may be purchased from Office Depot.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

I have a flexible desk lite that does a good job of lighting up the platen. My problems are my ability to see into the case based on the height of the press when I add the Strong Mount, as well as my desire to reduce the movement arc to something manageable.

My reading says the Dillon press designs are based on the Star. If Mike D. were to bring out a compact press like the Star for pistols only, he wouldn't be able to keep up w/ orders.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast